* Re: a turn-key org-mode for newbies?
@ 2012-04-18 14:15 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-04-18 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Gunderson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Keith Gunderson <krgkg@yahoo.com> writes:

> Is there a package or download that can allow a new non-emacs user to
> immediately engage with org-mode?  That is, install and configure both
> emacs and org-mode plus make some guesses about how a new user would
> initially want to use org-mode.
>

> I am not an emacs newbie, so I can spearhead an effort if
> necessary. Though I am eagerly working to rid myself of org-mode
> newbie status.
>
> I have some relatives that could really benefit from org-mode... who doesn't?
>

> Here's some of what I'm thinking:
>
> * Installation
> ** Emacs
> ** Packages
> *** org-mode
> * Configuration
> ** Load path
> ** org file directory and basic files established
> *** journal.org
> *** projects.org
> *** notes.org
> *** personal.org
> ** CUA
> * Extras
> ** Easy buffer switching via keyboard
> ** shortcuts for spreadsheet copy/pasting
>
> Thanks Carsten and fellow org-moders,
> Keith

An emacs-wide pre-made config system which could be relevant is my fork
of the Emacs starter kit [1] which is build entirely using Emacs Lisp
configuration embedded in Org-mode files.  This does have a minimal
pre-built Org-mode setup [2].  Perhaps the Org-mode specific portion of
this starter kit could be expanded into what you're after (even using
your outline above directly).  Note that this requires Emacs24 to work
"out of the box".

Although, a simpler system based off a single Org-mode file may be
preferable.  Note that after the impending release of Emacs24 it will be
possible to place both the Emacs Lisp and the prose documentation of
such a tool in a single Org-mode file which should simplify distribution
and maintenance of such a system.

Best,

Footnotes:
[1]  http://eschulte.github.com/emacs24-starter-kit/

[2]  http://eschulte.github.com/emacs24-starter-kit/starter-kit-org.html

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* a turn-key org-mode for newbies?
@ 2012-04-18 15:26 Keith Gunderson
From: Keith Gunderson @ 2012-04-18 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

@ 2012-04-20 13:12   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-20 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Keith Gunderson, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com> writes:

> Although, a simpler system based off a single Org-mode file may be
> preferable.

Agreed.  I long dreamed of an Org tutorial written with elisp source
blocks, demonstrating the use of various options incrementally?

Any taker?

--
 Bastien

* Re: a turn-key org-mode for newbies?