emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Problems with refiling
@ 2009-02-17 17:19 Peter Westlake
  2009-02-17 21:32 ` Carsten Dominik
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-02-17 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

If I switch org-outline-path-complete-in-steps on, refiling breaks. How
it breaks depends on org-refile-use-outline-path:

  Yes: Top level headlines are available, nothing else.
  Not: Same.
  Start with file: only the files are listed. The headline doesn't move.

In the completion window, entries with sub-headlines appear in blue,
but I can't find a way to get to the sub-headlines. What am I missing?

org-refile-targets is
  ((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 3)
   (nil :maxlevel . 3))

So I would expect to see headlines down to level 3.

Peter.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: Problems with refiling
  2009-02-17 17:19 Problems with refiling Peter Westlake
@ 2009-02-17 21:32 ` Carsten Dominik
  2009-02-18 11:17   ` Peter Westlake
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-17 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Peter,

the whole purpose of completing in steps is that you see the
level 2 headlines only after you have selected the level 1 headline.

Am I missing something here?

- Carsten

On Feb 17, 2009, at 6:19 PM, Peter Westlake wrote:

> If I switch org-outline-path-complete-in-steps on, refiling breaks.  
> How
> it breaks depends on org-refile-use-outline-path:
>
>  Yes: Top level headlines are available, nothing else.
>  Not: Same.
>  Start with file: only the files are listed. The headline doesn't  
> move.
>
> In the completion window, entries with sub-headlines appear in blue,
> but I can't find a way to get to the sub-headlines. What am I missing?
>
> org-refile-targets is
>  ((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 3)
>   (nil :maxlevel . 3))
>
> So I would expect to see headlines down to level 3.
>
> Peter.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Emacs-orgmode mailing list
> Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
> Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: Problems with refiling
  2009-02-17 21:32 ` Carsten Dominik
@ 2009-02-18 11:17   ` Peter Westlake
  2009-02-18 14:57     ` Carsten Dominik
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-02-18 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode


On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:32:28 +0100, "Carsten Dominik"
<dominik@science.uva.nl> said:
> Hi Peter,
> 
> the whole purpose of completing in steps is that you see the
> level 2 headlines only after you have selected the level 1 headline.
> 
> Am I missing something here?

Yes: the level 2 headlines never appear. Instead, the entry is refiled
to the level 1, unless files are listed, in which case it doesn't move
at all. I must be missing out on some secret keystroke to continue the
step-by-step process, I guess.

Regards,

Peter.

> - Carsten
> 
> On Feb 17, 2009, at 6:19 PM, Peter Westlake wrote:
> 
> > If I switch org-outline-path-complete-in-steps on, refiling breaks.  
> > How
> > it breaks depends on org-refile-use-outline-path:
> >
> >  Yes: Top level headlines are available, nothing else.
> >  Not: Same.
> >  Start with file: only the files are listed. The headline doesn't  
> > move.
> >
> > In the completion window, entries with sub-headlines appear in blue,
> > but I can't find a way to get to the sub-headlines. What am I missing?
> >
> > org-refile-targets is
> >  ((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 3)
> >   (nil :maxlevel . 3))
> >
> > So I would expect to see headlines down to level 3.
> >
> > Peter.
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Emacs-orgmode mailing list
> > Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
> > Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> > http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode
> 

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: Problems with refiling
  2009-02-18 11:17   ` Peter Westlake
@ 2009-02-18 14:57     ` Carsten Dominik
  2009-02-18 16:55       ` Peter Westlake
  2009-02-20  0:02       ` Netbook display of the org-mode site David Thole
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-18 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: emacs-orgmode


On Feb 18, 2009, at 12:17 PM, Peter Westlake wrote:

>
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:32:28 +0100, "Carsten Dominik"
> <dominik@science.uva.nl> said:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> the whole purpose of completing in steps is that you see the
>> level 2 headlines only after you have selected the level 1 headline.
>>
>> Am I missing something here?
>
> Yes: the level 2 headlines never appear. Instead, the entry is refiled
> to the level 1, unless files are listed, in which case it doesn't move
> at all. I must be missing out on some secret keystroke to continue the
> step-by-step process, I guess.


Like pressing a few characters and pressing TAB?  Maybe you are
using the mouse to select top level headlines?  I never use
the mouse for completion, and this might well be the problem.
When you click with the mouse, you are telling the program that you are
done completing.

Are you, by any change, using `org-completion-use-ido' as well?
I believe yesterday I forces off ido for the case of stepwise path
completion.
There was a bug fix only yesterday, I think, about this.

- Carste

>
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter.
>
>> - Carsten
>>
>> On Feb 17, 2009, at 6:19 PM, Peter Westlake wrote:
>>
>>> If I switch org-outline-path-complete-in-steps on, refiling breaks.
>>> How
>>> it breaks depends on org-refile-use-outline-path:
>>>
>>> Yes: Top level headlines are available, nothing else.
>>> Not: Same.
>>> Start with file: only the files are listed. The headline doesn't
>>> move.
>>>
>>> In the completion window, entries with sub-headlines appear in blue,
>>> but I can't find a way to get to the sub-headlines. What am I  
>>> missing?
>>>
>>> org-refile-targets is
>>> ((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 3)
>>>  (nil :maxlevel . 3))
>>>
>>> So I would expect to see headlines down to level 3.
>>>
>>> Peter.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Emacs-orgmode mailing list
>>> Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
>>> Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
>>> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode
>>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: Problems with refiling
  2009-02-18 14:57     ` Carsten Dominik
@ 2009-02-18 16:55       ` Peter Westlake
  2009-02-19 15:29         ` Carsten Dominik
  2009-02-20  0:02       ` Netbook display of the org-mode site David Thole
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-02-18 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This is now officially a bug report, with a reproducible test case!
Sorry there's no patch, but I'm at work and can't afford the time.

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 15:57:10 +0100, "Carsten Dominik"
<dominik@science.uva.nl> said:
>
> On Feb 18, 2009, at 12:17 PM, Peter Westlake wrote:
>
> >
> > On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:32:28 +0100, "Carsten Dominik"
> > <dominik@science.uva.nl> said:
> >> Hi Peter,
> >>
> >> the whole purpose of completing in steps is that you see the level
> >> 2 headlines only after you have selected the level 1 headline.
> >>
> >> Am I missing something here?
> >
> > Yes: the level 2 headlines never appear. Instead, the entry is
> > refiled to the level 1, unless files are listed, in which case it
> > doesn't move at all. I must be missing out on some secret keystroke
> > to continue the step-by-step process, I guess.
>
>
> Like pressing a few characters and pressing TAB?

No, I tried that a lot.

> Maybe you are using the mouse to select top level headlines?  I never
> use the mouse for completion, and this might well be the problem. When
> you click with the mouse, you are telling the program that you are
> done completing.

No, that works as you say.

> Are you, by any change, using `org-completion-use-ido' as well? I
> believe yesterday I forces off ido for the case of stepwise path
> completion. There was a bug fix only yesterday, I think, about this.

No, I'm not.

I do have some new information to report, though! When your mail
arrived, I tried typing and TAB just to make absolutely sure my report
was correct. With use-outline-path set to Yes, step-by-step completion
worked perfectly! It still failed with use-outline-path set to include
the file. Feeling a bit stupid, I repeated the exact test where the bug
had appeared. And it still happened.

Some trees offered their subtrees on pressing TAB, and some said "Sole
completion", even if they had subtrees.

This happened with two trees in the same file, and with two subtrees in
the same tree. But in the end I found out what was happening.

Here's a test case that shows what makes the difference.

,----
| * foooo
| ** refile me
| ** baz
| * works
| ** one
| *** two
| **** three
| * does not work
| ** a
| *** b
| **** c
`----

On "refile me", C-c C-w.
Type "does", TAB, you get

   Refile to: does not work/[Sole completion]

Erase, type "work", TAB:

   Refile to: works/[Complete, but not unique]

Quit that, get rid of spaces in the "does not work" headline, and
completion offers you its subtrees. Add spaces in the "works" headline,
and you can no longer refile into its subtrees.

Peter.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: Problems with refiling
  2009-02-18 16:55       ` Peter Westlake
@ 2009-02-19 15:29         ` Carsten Dominik
  2009-02-19 17:32           ` Peter Westlake
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-19 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Peter,

I am still having problems reproducing.

I did put your example into a file "peter.org"

* foooo
** refile me
** baz
* works
** one
*** two
**** three
* does not work
** a
*** b
**** c


Then I did these settings:

(setq org-refile-targets
       '((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 3)
	(nil :maxlevel . 3)))

(setq org-outline-path-complete-in-steps t
       org-refile-use-outline-path 'file)

(setq org-completion-use-ido nil)


Then I followed your example: C-c C-w at "refile me".

Then I first need to type "peter TAB" to get the file name.
Then I do "does TAB".

I do get "peter.org/does not work/" in the echo area, a second TAB shows
"(complete but not unique)"

What am I missing?

- Carsten





On Feb 18, 2009, at 5:55 PM, Peter Westlake wrote:

> This is now officially a bug report, with a reproducible test case!
> Sorry there's no patch, but I'm at work and can't afford the time.
>
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 15:57:10 +0100, "Carsten Dominik"
> <dominik@science.uva.nl> said:
>>
>> On Feb 18, 2009, at 12:17 PM, Peter Westlake wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:32:28 +0100, "Carsten Dominik"
>>> <dominik@science.uva.nl> said:
>>>> Hi Peter,
>>>>
>>>> the whole purpose of completing in steps is that you see the level
>>>> 2 headlines only after you have selected the level 1 headline.
>>>>
>>>> Am I missing something here?
>>>
>>> Yes: the level 2 headlines never appear. Instead, the entry is
>>> refiled to the level 1, unless files are listed, in which case it
>>> doesn't move at all. I must be missing out on some secret keystroke
>>> to continue the step-by-step process, I guess.
>>
>>
>> Like pressing a few characters and pressing TAB?
>
> No, I tried that a lot.
>
>> Maybe you are using the mouse to select top level headlines?  I never
>> use the mouse for completion, and this might well be the problem.  
>> When
>> you click with the mouse, you are telling the program that you are
>> done completing.
>
> No, that works as you say.
>
>> Are you, by any change, using `org-completion-use-ido' as well? I
>> believe yesterday I forces off ido for the case of stepwise path
>> completion. There was a bug fix only yesterday, I think, about this.
>
> No, I'm not.
>
> I do have some new information to report, though! When your mail
> arrived, I tried typing and TAB just to make absolutely sure my report
> was correct. With use-outline-path set to Yes, step-by-step completion
> worked perfectly! It still failed with use-outline-path set to include
> the file. Feeling a bit stupid, I repeated the exact test where the  
> bug
> had appeared. And it still happened.
>
> Some trees offered their subtrees on pressing TAB, and some said "Sole
> completion", even if they had subtrees.
>
> This happened with two trees in the same file, and with two subtrees  
> in
> the same tree. But in the end I found out what was happening.
>
> Here's a test case that shows what makes the difference.
>
> ,----
> | * foooo
> | ** refile me
> | ** baz
> | * works
> | ** one
> | *** two
> | **** three
> | * does not work
> | ** a
> | *** b
> | **** c
> `----
>
> On "refile me", C-c C-w.
> Type "does", TAB, you get
>
>   Refile to: does not work/[Sole completion]
>
> Erase, type "work", TAB:
>
>   Refile to: works/[Complete, but not unique]
>
> Quit that, get rid of spaces in the "does not work" headline, and
> completion offers you its subtrees. Add spaces in the "works"  
> headline,
> and you can no longer refile into its subtrees.
>
> Peter.
>
>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: Problems with refiling
  2009-02-19 15:29         ` Carsten Dominik
@ 2009-02-19 17:32           ` Peter Westlake
  2009-02-20 10:05             ` Carsten Dominik
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-02-19 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:29 +0100, "Carsten Dominik"
<dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
> 
> I am still having problems reproducing.
...
> What am I missing?

The answer appears to be: partial-completion-mode.

I repeated the steps exactly, then tried again on a machine with the
same Emacs and Org but no customisation apart from the org-refile
variables. It worked there, suggesting that the problem must be in my
.emacs, and partial-completion-mode was an obvious suspect. It was
switched on (t), and switching it off cured the problem!

Peter.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Netbook display of the org-mode site
  2009-02-18 14:57     ` Carsten Dominik
  2009-02-18 16:55       ` Peter Westlake
@ 2009-02-20  0:02       ` David Thole
  2009-02-20  0:30         ` Samuel Wales
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: David Thole @ 2009-02-20  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN, Size: 452 bytes --]

Hello,

I was going to the site just a bit ago to check up on some stuff, and I
did it on my netbook.  The site had the left menu cut off quite a bit, and
scrolling to see the remainder of the menu wasn't possible (kinda looks
like frames).

I attached a screenshot of the probelms I'm having.

Notebook: Acer Aspire One
Resolution: 1024x600
I'm using a special ubuntu theme, which gives a lot of screen estate for
Firefox.

I hope this helps.

-David

[-- Attachment #2: Type: IMAGE/png, Size: 156188 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: Type: text/plain, Size: 204 bytes --]

_______________________________________________
Emacs-orgmode mailing list
Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: Netbook display of the org-mode site
  2009-02-20  0:02       ` Netbook display of the org-mode site David Thole
@ 2009-02-20  0:30         ` Samuel Wales
  2009-02-20  7:08           ` Sebastian Rose
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-02-20  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Thole; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Happens also in Safari with very large fonts.  Maybe the menu can be
made to scroll with the page.

emacs-w3m looks great though.

-- 
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death (decades early;
Jason et al. 2006) and severe suffering, pain, and disability (worse
than nearly all other serious diseases studied; Schweitzer et al.
1995) and grossly corrupting science.  *Anybody* can get the disease.
http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/What_Is_ME_What_Is_CFS.htm

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: Netbook display of the org-mode site
  2009-02-20  0:30         ` Samuel Wales
@ 2009-02-20  7:08           ` Sebastian Rose
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-02-20  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
> Happens also in Safari with very large fonts.  Maybe the menu can be
> made to scroll with the page.

I'll investigate that fact in a few hours.

A first glance over the stylesheet makes me think, that changing the
`height' property of the `#table-of-contents' should help. It's set to
600px which might be too high for small screens. Maybe we should either
skip the height property at all, or set it to somthing like `70%' or
so. It might get a little tricky here, because of the wrong
interpretation of `position:fixed' in IE. Also, a value of `60%' is
dependend on the screen size too. There is that picture above the TOC,
which has a fixed height, that might be more than 40% on some screens.

Regards,


-- 
Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472
Fax:   +49 (0)1805 - 233633 - 11044
mobil: +49 (0)173 - 83 93 417
Http:  www.emma-stil.de

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: Problems with refiling
  2009-02-19 17:32           ` Peter Westlake
@ 2009-02-20 10:05             ` Carsten Dominik
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-20 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: emacs-orgmode


On Feb 19, 2009, at 6:32 PM, Peter Westlake wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:29 +0100, "Carsten Dominik"
> <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> I am still having problems reproducing.
> ...
>> What am I missing?
>
> The answer appears to be: partial-completion-mode.
>
> I repeated the steps exactly, then tried again on a machine with the
> same Emacs and Org but no customisation apart from the org-refile
> variables. It worked there, suggesting that the problem must be in my
> .emacs, and partial-completion-mode was an obvious suspect. It was
> switched on (t), and switching it off cured the problem!

OK, I am now forcing it off while refile targets are completed.

There are definitely too many plug-ins which mess around
with completion, and too many people who forget what they
have turned on some day in the past :-)

Thanks for getting to the bottom of it.

- Carsten

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2009-02-20 10:05 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 11+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2009-02-17 17:19 Problems with refiling Peter Westlake
2009-02-17 21:32 ` Carsten Dominik
2009-02-18 11:17   ` Peter Westlake
2009-02-18 14:57     ` Carsten Dominik
2009-02-18 16:55       ` Peter Westlake
2009-02-19 15:29         ` Carsten Dominik
2009-02-19 17:32           ` Peter Westlake
2009-02-20 10:05             ` Carsten Dominik
2009-02-20  0:02       ` Netbook display of the org-mode site David Thole
2009-02-20  0:30         ` Samuel Wales
2009-02-20  7:08           ` Sebastian Rose

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).