* Problems with refiling
@ 2009-02-17 17:19 Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-02-17 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

If I switch org-outline-path-complete-in-steps on, refiling breaks. How
it breaks depends on org-refile-use-outline-path:

  Yes: Top level headlines are available, nothing else.
  Not: Same.
  Start with file: only the files are listed. The headline doesn't move.

In the completion window, entries with sub-headlines appear in blue,
but I can't find a way to get to the sub-headlines. What am I missing?

org-refile-targets is
  ((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 3)
   (nil :maxlevel . 3))

So I would expect to see headlines down to level 3.

Peter.

* Re: Problems with refiling
@ 2009-02-17 21:32 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-17 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Peter,

the whole purpose of completing in steps is that you see the
level 2 headlines only after you have selected the level 1 headline.

Am I missing something here?

- Carsten

On Feb 17, 2009, at 6:19 PM, Peter Westlake wrote:

> If I switch org-outline-path-complete-in-steps on, refiling breaks.
> How
> it breaks depends on org-refile-use-outline-path:
>
>  Yes: Top level headlines are available, nothing else.
>  Not: Same.
>  Start with file: only the files are listed. The headline doesn't
> move.
>
> In the completion window, entries with sub-headlines appear in blue,
> but I can't find a way to get to the sub-headlines. What am I missing?
>
> org-refile-targets is
>  ((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 3)
>   (nil :maxlevel . 3))
>
> So I would expect to see headlines down to level 3.
>
> Peter.

* Re: Problems with refiling
@ 2009-02-18 11:17   ` Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-02-18 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:32:28 +0100, "Carsten Dominik"
<dominik@science.uva.nl> said:
> Hi Peter,
>
> the whole purpose of completing in steps is that you see the
> level 2 headlines only after you have selected the level 1 headline.
>
> Am I missing something here?

Yes: the level 2 headlines never appear. Instead, the entry is refiled
to the level 1, unless files are listed, in which case it doesn't move
at all. I must be missing out on some secret keystroke to continue the
step-by-step process, I guess.

Regards,

Peter.

> - Carsten
>
> On Feb 17, 2009, at 6:19 PM, Peter Westlake wrote:
>
> > If I switch org-outline-path-complete-in-steps on, refiling breaks.
> > How
> > it breaks depends on org-refile-use-outline-path:
> >
> >  Yes: Top level headlines are available, nothing else.
> >  Not: Same.
> >  Start with file: only the files are listed. The headline doesn't
> > move.
> >
> > In the completion window, entries with sub-headlines appear in blue,
> > but I can't find a way to get to the sub-headlines. What am I missing?
> >
> > org-refile-targets is
> >  ((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 3)
> >   (nil :maxlevel . 3))
> >
> > So I would expect to see headlines down to level 3.
> >
> > Peter.

* Re: Problems with refiling
@ 2009-02-18 14:57     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-18 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 18, 2009, at 12:17 PM, Peter Westlake wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:32:28 +0100, "Carsten Dominik"
> <dominik@science.uva.nl> said:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> the whole purpose of completing in steps is that you see the
>> level 2 headlines only after you have selected the level 1 headline.
>>
>> Am I missing something here?
>
> Yes: the level 2 headlines never appear. Instead, the entry is refiled
> to the level 1, unless files are listed, in which case it doesn't move
> at all. I must be missing out on some secret keystroke to continue the
> step-by-step process, I guess.

Like pressing a few characters and pressing TAB?  Maybe you are
using the mouse to select top level headlines?  I never use
the mouse for completion, and this might well be the problem.
When you click with the mouse, you are telling the program that you are
done completing.

Are you, by any change, using `org-completion-use-ido' as well?
I believe yesterday I forces off ido for the case of stepwise path
completion.
There was a bug fix only yesterday, I think, about this.

- Carste

> Regards,
>
> Peter.
>
>> - Carsten
>>
>> On Feb 17, 2009, at 6:19 PM, Peter Westlake wrote:
>>
>>> If I switch org-outline-path-complete-in-steps on, refiling breaks.
>>> How
>>> it breaks depends on org-refile-use-outline-path:
>>>
>>> Yes: Top level headlines are available, nothing else.
>>> Not: Same.
>>> Start with file: only the files are listed. The headline doesn't
>>> move.
>>>
>>> In the completion window, entries with sub-headlines appear in blue,
>>> but I can't find a way to get to the sub-headlines. What am I
>>> missing?
>>>
>>> org-refile-targets is
>>> ((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 3)
>>>  (nil :maxlevel . 3))
>>>
>>> So I would expect to see headlines down to level 3.
>>>
>>> Peter.

* Re: Problems with refiling
@ 2009-02-18 16:55       ` Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-02-18 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This is now officially a bug report, with a reproducible test case!
Sorry there's no patch, but I'm at work and can't afford the time.

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 15:57:10 +0100, "Carsten Dominik"
<dominik@science.uva.nl> said:

> On Feb 18, 2009, at 12:17 PM, Peter Westlake wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:32:28 +0100, "Carsten Dominik"
> > <dominik@science.uva.nl> said:
> >> Hi Peter,
> >>
> >> the whole purpose of completing in steps is that you see the level
> >> 2 headlines only after you have selected the level 1 headline.
> >>
> >> Am I missing something here?
> >
> > Yes: the level 2 headlines never appear. Instead, the entry is
> > refiled to the level 1, unless files are listed, in which case it
> > doesn't move at all. I must be missing out on some secret keystroke
> > to continue the step-by-step process, I guess.
>

> Like pressing a few characters and pressing TAB?

No, I tried that a lot.

> Maybe you are using the mouse to select top level headlines?  I never
> use the mouse for completion, and this might well be the problem. When
> you click with the mouse, you are telling the program that you are
> done completing.

No, that works as you say.

> Are you, by any change, using `org-completion-use-ido' as well? I
> believe yesterday I forces off ido for the case of stepwise path
> completion. There was a bug fix only yesterday, I think, about this.

No, I'm not.

I do have some new information to report, though! When your mail
arrived, I tried typing and TAB just to make absolutely sure my report
was correct. With use-outline-path set to Yes, step-by-step completion
worked perfectly! It still failed with use-outline-path set to include
the file. Feeling a bit stupid, I repeated the exact test where the bug
had appeared. And it still happened.

Some trees offered their subtrees on pressing TAB, and some said "Sole
completion", even if they had subtrees.

This happened with two trees in the same file, and with two subtrees in
the same tree. But in the end I found out what was happening.

Here's a test case that shows what makes the difference.

,----
| * foooo
| ** refile me
| ** baz
| * works
| ** one
| *** two
| **** three
| * does not work
| ** a
| *** b
| **** c
`----

On "refile me", C-c C-w.
Type "does", TAB, you get

   Refile to: does not work/[Sole completion]

Erase, type "work", TAB:

   Refile to: works/[Complete, but not unique]

Quit that, get rid of spaces in the "does not work" headline, and
completion offers you its subtrees. Add spaces in the "works" headline,
and you can no longer refile into its subtrees.

Peter.

* Re: Problems with refiling
@ 2009-02-19 15:29         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-19 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Peter,

I am still having problems reproducing.

I did put your example into a file "peter.org"

* foooo
** refile me
** baz
* works
** one
*** two
**** three
* does not work
** a
*** b
**** c

Then I did these settings:

(setq org-refile-targets
       '((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 3)
	(nil :maxlevel . 3)))

(setq org-outline-path-complete-in-steps t
       org-refile-use-outline-path 'file)

(setq org-completion-use-ido nil)

Then I followed your example: C-c C-w at "refile me".

Then I first need to type "peter TAB" to get the file name.
Then I do "does TAB".

I do get "peter.org/does not work/" in the echo area, a second TAB shows
"(complete but not unique)"

What am I missing?

- Carsten

* Re: Problems with refiling
@ 2009-02-19 17:32           ` Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-02-19 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:29 +0100, "Carsten Dominik"
<dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I am still having problems reproducing.
> What am I missing?

The answer appears to be: partial-completion-mode.

I repeated the steps exactly, then tried again on a machine with the
same Emacs and Org but no customisation apart from the org-refile
variables. It worked there, suggesting that the problem must be in my
.emacs, and partial-completion-mode was an obvious suspect. It was
switched on (t), and switching it off cured the problem!

Peter.

* Netbook display of the org-mode site
@ 2009-02-20  0:02       ` David Thole
From: David Thole @ 2009-02-20  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I was going to the site just a bit ago to check up on some stuff, and I
did it on my netbook.  The site had the left menu cut off quite a bit, and
scrolling to see the remainder of the menu wasn't possible (kinda looks
like frames).

I attached a screenshot of the probelms I'm having.

Notebook: Acer Aspire One
Resolution: 1024x600
I'm using a special ubuntu theme, which gives a lot of screen estate for
Firefox.

I hope this helps.

-David

[-- Attachment #2: Type: IMAGE/png, Size: 156188 bytes --]

* Re: Netbook display of the org-mode site
@ 2009-02-20  0:30         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-02-20  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Thole; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Happens also in Safari with very large fonts.  Maybe the menu can be
made to scroll with the page.

emacs-w3m looks great though.

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death (decades early;
Jason et al. 2006) and severe suffering, pain, and disability (worse

* Re: Netbook display of the org-mode site
@ 2009-02-20  7:08           ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-02-20  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Happens also in Safari with very large fonts.  Maybe the menu can be
> made to scroll with the page.

I'll investigate that fact in a few hours.

A first glance over the stylesheet makes me think, that changing the
`height' property of the `#table-of-contents' should help. It's set to
600px which might be too high for small screens. Maybe we should either
skip the height property at all, or set it to somthing like `70%' or
so. It might get a little tricky here, because of the wrong
interpretation of `position:fixed' in IE. Also, a value of `60%' is
dependend on the screen size too. There is that picture above the TOC,
which has a fixed height, that might be more than 40% on some screens.

Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472
Fax:   +49 (0)1805 - 233633 - 11044
mobil: +49 (0)173 - 83 93 417
Http:  www.emma-stil.de

* Re: Problems with refiling
@ 2009-02-20 10:05             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-20 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 19, 2009, at 6:32 PM, Peter Westlake wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:29 +0100, "Carsten Dominik"
> <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> I am still having problems reproducing.
>> What am I missing?
>
> The answer appears to be: partial-completion-mode.
>
> I repeated the steps exactly, then tried again on a machine with the
> same Emacs and Org but no customisation apart from the org-refile
> variables. It worked there, suggesting that the problem must be in my
> .emacs, and partial-completion-mode was an obvious suspect. It was
> switched on (t), and switching it off cured the problem!

OK, I am now forcing it off while refile targets are completed.

There are definitely too many plug-ins which mess around
with completion, and too many people who forget what they
have turned on some day in the past :-)

Thanks for getting to the bottom of it.

- Carsten