* preventing automatic rebuild of agenda on refiling?
@ 2010-06-14 11:49 Michael Gilbert
From: Michael Gilbert @ 2010-06-14 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi —

I may have missed when this happened or if it's been discussed already, but I'm noticing that recent Org-mode automatically rebuilds the agenda each time I refile a task. This can dramatically slow down the process of refiling a lot of items. Is there a setting to change this?

TIA

— Michael

* Re: preventing automatic rebuild of agenda on refiling?
@ 2010-06-15 11:08 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-06-15 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Gilbert wrote:
>Hi —

>I may have missed when this happened or if it's been discussed
>already, but I'm noticing that recent Org-mode automatically rebuilds
>the agenda each time I refile a task. This can dramatically slow down
>the process of refiling a lot of items. Is there a setting to change
>this?

As far as I am aware of: No, you currently cannot disable it for a
single refile operation.  But, if you refile a lot of items you might
try Agenda's bulk action:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Agenda-commands.html
,----
| Bulk action: act on all marked entries in the agenda. This will prompt
| for another key to select the action to be applied. The prefix arg to
| B will be passed through to the s and d commands, to bulk-remove these
| special timestamps.
`----

Bulk actions actually do not rebuld the agenda.

HTH
  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: preventing automatic rebuild of agenda on refiling?
@ 2010-06-15 16:08   ` Michael Gilbert
From: Michael Gilbert @ 2010-06-15 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I may have missed when this happened or if it's been discussed
>> already, but I'm noticing that recent Org-mode automatically rebuilds
>> the agenda each time I refile a task. This can dramatically slow down
>> the process of refiling a lot of items. Is there a setting to change
>> this?
>
> As far as I am aware of: No, you currently cannot disable it for a
> single refile operation.  But, if you refile a lot of items you might
> try Agenda's bulk action:
>
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Agenda-commands.html
> Bulk actions actually do not rebuld the agenda.

But if I'm not mistaken, they involve refiling all the marked items to the same destination. That hasn't been my workflow at all.

This is a frustrating change. I guess my option now is to jump to the item in question, refile it, then jump back. But given that in my current workflow I  refile scores of items during my daily prep... Ugh. I'm sure there was a good reason for the change, but it just doesn't suit how I've come to use Org-mode.

Anyway, if there are any other ideas out there other than waiting for the roundtrip of the rebuild or jumping back and forth to the source files, I would be interested in hearing them!

@ 2010-06-15 16:59     ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-06-15 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Gilbert <mcg@gilbert.org> writes:

>>> I may have missed when this happened or if it's been discussed
>>> already, but I'm noticing that recent Org-mode automatically rebuilds
>>> the agenda each time I refile a task. This can dramatically slow down
>>> the process of refiling a lot of items. Is there a setting to change
>>> this?
>>
>> As far as I am aware of: No, you currently cannot disable it for a
>> single refile operation.  But, if you refile a lot of items you might
>> try Agenda's bulk action:
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/manual/Agenda-commands.html
>> Bulk actions actually do not rebuld the agenda.
>
> But if I'm not mistaken, they involve refiling all the marked items to
> the same destination. That hasn't been my workflow at all.
>
> This is a frustrating change. I guess my option now is to jump to the
> item in question, refile it, then jump back. But given that in my
> current workflow I refile scores of items during my daily prep... Ugh.
> I'm sure there was a good reason for the change, but it just doesn't
> suit how I've come to use Org-mode.
>
> Anyway, if there are any other ideas out there other than waiting for
> the roundtrip of the rebuild or jumping back and forth to the source
> files, I would be interested in hearing them!

If you give a triple prefix argument to org-agenda-refile, the agenda
will not be rebuilt.

If you'd like this as the default behavior, you can bind it to a key (or
change the original binding):

(define-key org-agenda-mode-map "\C-c\C-w"
  (lambda ()
    (interactive)
    (org-agenda-refile nil nil t)))

Best,
Matt

* Re: preventing automatic rebuild of agenda on refiling?
@ 2010-06-15 17:45       ` Michael Gilbert
From: Michael Gilbert @ 2010-06-15 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> As far as I am aware of: No, you currently cannot disable it for a single refile operation.  But, if you refile a lot of items you might try Agenda's bulk action:
>>>
>>> http://orgmode.org/manual/Agenda-commands.html Bulk actions actually do not rebuld the agenda.
>>
>> But if I'm not mistaken, they involve refiling all the marked items to the same destination. That hasn't been my workflow at all.
>>
>> This is a frustrating change. I guess my option now is to jump to the item in question, refile it, then jump back. But given that in my current workflow I refile scores of items during my daily prep... Ugh. I'm sure there was a good reason for the change, but it just doesn't suit how I've come to use Org-mode.
>>
>> Anyway, if there are any other ideas out there other than waiting for the roundtrip of the rebuild or jumping back and forth to the source files, I would be interested in hearing them!
>
> If you give a triple prefix argument to org-agenda-refile, the agenda will not be rebuilt.
>
> If you'd like this as the default behavior, you can bind it to a key (or change the original binding):
>
> (define-key org-agenda-mode-map "\C-c\C-w"
>  (lambda ()
>    (interactive)
>    (org-agenda-refile nil nil t)))

Fantastic. I can experiment with adapting my workflow, but this is so useful. Deeply appreciated.

— Michael