* Exporting non utf8 org documents
@ 2009-12-08 16:22 Francesco Pizzolante
From: Francesco Pizzolante @ 2009-12-08 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have colleagues who are writing Org documents with latin-1 encoding and when
I export these documents to LaTeX I run into problems, because Org assumes
utf8.

Here's a little example:

#+LATEX_CLASS: article

* Ceci est un test

  Voici un petit texte rédigé en français.

* COMMENT Setup

# This is for the sake of Emacs.
# Local Variables:
# coding: iso-latin-1
# End:

The exportation to LaTeX gives the following result:

% Created 2009-12-08 mar. 17:10
\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{longtable}
\usepackage{float}
\usepackage{wrapfig}
\usepackage{soul}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\usepackage{xcolor}
\usepackage{listings}

\title{org-french}
\author{Francesco Pizzolante}
\date{08 décembre 2009}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
\tableofcontents
\vspace*{1cm}

\section{Ceci est un test}
\label{sec-1}

  Voici un petit texte rédigé en français.

\end{document}

When compiling, due to the \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} directive, I get this
error:

ERROR: Package utf8x Error: MalformedUTF-8sequence.

In order to fix this issue, I see the following solutions:

- Would it be possible for Org to automatically get the coding system of the
  buffer and then generate the correct option for the inputenc package?

or

- Would it be possible to have a variable like #+CODING-SYSTEM: iso-latin-1
  which would be used to generate the correct option for the inputenc package?

Any other proposition or idea is welcome.

In addition, Org should use the `utf8x' option (instead of `utf8') which
enables to handle unbreakable spaces (useful in french).

Thanks.

Regards,
Francesco

* Re: Exporting non utf8 org documents
@ 2010-01-04 14:16 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-01-04 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Francesco,

can you com up with code that maps the Emacs buffer coding system to
the inputenc option?  Then I can write the code to insert this into
the proper place in the LaTeX header....

- Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: Exporting non utf8 org documents
@ 2010-01-06  8:26 ` Carsten Dominik
       [not found]   ` <6B5F0F7A-F055-435F-ADE2-846E99649B1D-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-01-06  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Francesco,

here is a possible solution:

Please get the latest git version of org-mode.  Then put the following
code into
.emacs:

     (defun my-org-export-latex-fix-inputenc ()
       "Set the codingsystem in inputenc to what the buffer is."
       (let* ((cs buffer-file-coding-system)
              (opt (latexenc-coding-system-to-inputenc cs)))
         (when opt
           (goto-char (point-min))
           (while (re-search-forward "\\\\usepackage\\[\\(.*?\\)\\]
{inputenc}"
                                     nil t)
             (goto-char (match-beginning 1))
             (delete-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1))
             (insert opt))
           (save-buffer))))

     (eval-after-load "org-latex"
       '(add-hook 'org-export-latex-after-save-hook
                  'my-org-export-latex-fix-inputenc))

Let me know how it goes.....

- Carsten

On Dec 8, 2009, at 5:22 PM, Francesco Pizzolante wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have colleagues who are writing Org documents with latin-1
> encoding and when
> I export these documents to LaTeX I run into problems, because Org
> assumes
> utf8.
>
> Here's a little example:

> #+LATEX_CLASS: article
>
> * Ceci est un test
>
> Voici un petit texte rédigé en français.
>
> * COMMENT Setup
>
> # This is for the sake of Emacs.
> # Local Variables:
> # coding: iso-latin-1
> # End:
>
> The exportation to LaTeX gives the following result:

> % Created 2009-12-08 mar. 17:10
> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{graphicx}
> \usepackage{longtable}
> \usepackage{float}
> \usepackage{wrapfig}
> \usepackage{soul}
> \usepackage{amssymb}
> \usepackage{hyperref}
> \usepackage{xcolor}
> \usepackage{listings}
>
> \title{org-french}
> \author{Francesco Pizzolante}
> \date{08 décembre 2009}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \maketitle
>
> \setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
> \tableofcontents
> \vspace*{1cm}
>
> \section{Ceci est un test}
> \label{sec-1}
>

> Voici un petit texte rédigé en français.
>

> \end{document}
>
> When compiling, due to the \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} directive, I
> get this
> error:
>
> ERROR: Package utf8x Error: MalformedUTF-8sequence.
>

> In order to fix this issue, I see the following solutions:
>
> - Would it be possible for Org to automatically get the coding
> system of the
> buffer and then generate the correct option for the inputenc package?
>
> or
>
> - Would it be possible to have a variable like #+CODING-SYSTEM: iso-
> latin-1
> which would be used to generate the correct option for the inputenc
> package?
>
> Any other proposition or idea is welcome.
>
> In addition, Org should use the `utf8x' option (instead of `utf8')
> which
> enables to handle unbreakable spaces (useful in french).
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Francesco

- Carsten

* Re: Exporting non utf8 org documents
       [not found]   ` <6B5F0F7A-F055-435F-ADE2-846E99649B1D-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2010-01-08 12:36     ` Francesco Pizzolante
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Francesco Pizzolante @ 2010-01-08 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Carsten,

> here is a possible solution:
>
> Please get the latest git version of org-mode.  Then put the following code
> into
> .emacs:
>
>     (defun my-org-export-latex-fix-inputenc ()
>       "Set the codingsystem in inputenc to what the buffer is."
>       (let* ((cs buffer-file-coding-system)
>              (opt (latexenc-coding-system-to-inputenc cs)))
>         (when opt
>           (goto-char (point-min))
>           (while (re-search-forward "\\\\usepackage\\[\\(.*?\\)\\]
> {inputenc}"
>                                     nil t)
>             (goto-char (match-beginning 1))
>             (delete-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1))
>             (insert opt))
>           (save-buffer))))
>
>     (eval-after-load "org-latex"
>       '(add-hook 'org-export-latex-after-save-hook
>                  'my-org-export-latex-fix-inputenc))
>
> Let me know how it goes.....

Thanks for your solution.

I've tested with both latin1 and utf8 Org buffers and I get the correct
encoding passed to LaTeX in both cases.

Regarding the utf8 encoding, I had a remark in my first message, which was:

>> In addition, Org should use the `utf8x' option (instead of `utf8') which
>> enables to handle unbreakable spaces (useful in french).

Could you change that too?

Thanks a lot,

@ 2010-01-08 12:39       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-01-08 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 8, 2010, at 1:36 PM, Francesco Pizzolante wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
>> here is a possible solution:
>>
>> Please get the latest git version of org-mode.  Then put the
>> following code
>> into
>> .emacs:
>>
>>    (defun my-org-export-latex-fix-inputenc ()
>>      "Set the codingsystem in inputenc to what the buffer is."
>>      (let* ((cs buffer-file-coding-system)
>>             (opt (latexenc-coding-system-to-inputenc cs)))
>>        (when opt
>>          (goto-char (point-min))
>>          (while (re-search-forward "\\\\usepackage\\[\\(.*?\\)\\]
>> {inputenc}"
>>                                    nil t)
>>            (goto-char (match-beginning 1))
>>            (delete-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1))
>>            (insert opt))
>>          (save-buffer))))
>>
>>    (eval-after-load "org-latex"
>>      '(add-hook 'org-export-latex-after-save-hook
>>                 'my-org-export-latex-fix-inputenc))
>>
>> Let me know how it goes.....
>
> Thanks for your solution.
>
> I've tested with both latin1 and utf8 Org buffers and I get the
> correct
> encoding passed to LaTeX in both cases.
>
> Regarding the utf8 encoding, I had a remark in my first message,
> which was:
>
>>> In addition, Org should use the `utf8x' option (instead of `utf8')
>>> which
>>> enables to handle unbreakable spaces (useful in french).
>
> Could you change that too?

no, because utf8x is not in all TeX distributions, so that is too
risky.  I was considering to make it configurable, though.

- Carsten

> Thanks a lot,
> Francesco

- Carsten

* Re: Exporting non utf8 org documents
@ 2010-01-08 12:43       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-01-08 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 8, 2010, at 1:36 PM, Francesco Pizzolante wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
>> here is a possible solution:
>>
>> Please get the latest git version of org-mode.  Then put the
>> following code
>> into
>> .emacs:
>>
>>    (defun my-org-export-latex-fix-inputenc ()
>>      "Set the codingsystem in inputenc to what the buffer is."
>>      (let* ((cs buffer-file-coding-system)
>>             (opt (latexenc-coding-system-to-inputenc cs)))
>>        (when opt
>>          (goto-char (point-min))
>>          (while (re-search-forward "\\\\usepackage\\[\\(.*?\\)\\]
>> {inputenc}"
>>                                    nil t)
>>            (goto-char (match-beginning 1))
>>            (delete-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1))
>>            (insert opt))
>>          (save-buffer))))
>>
>>    (eval-after-load "org-latex"
>>      '(add-hook 'org-export-latex-after-save-hook
>>                 'my-org-export-latex-fix-inputenc))
>>
>> Let me know how it goes.....
>
> Thanks for your solution.
>
> I've tested with both latin1 and utf8 Org buffers and I get the
> correct
> encoding passed to LaTeX in both cases.
>
> Regarding the utf8 encoding, I had a remark in my first message,
> which was:
>
>>> In addition, Org should use the `utf8x' option (instead of `utf8')
>>> which
>>> enables to handle unbreakable spaces (useful in french).
>
> Could you change that too?

In, fact, you can change it in the code I sent you:

Add

    (if (equal opt "utf8") (setq opt "utf8x"))

wight before

    (when opt

I am still thinking about if and how I can add this in a stable
way to the default code....

- Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: Exporting non utf8 org documents
@ 2010-01-10  9:20       ` Carsten Dominik
       [not found]         ` <0929970B-35B4-495A-A972-985AF9FF1B91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-01-10  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Francesco,

you can remove the code I sent you again, and instead grab the latest
git release.

Then you can also do

(setq org-export-latex-inputenc-alist '(("utf8" . "utf8x")))

to get utf8x instead of utf8.

HTH

- Carsten

On Jan 8, 2010, at 1:36 PM, Francesco Pizzolante wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
>> here is a possible solution:
>>
>> Please get the latest git version of org-mode.  Then put the
>> following code
>> into
>> .emacs:
>>
>>    (defun my-org-export-latex-fix-inputenc ()
>>      "Set the codingsystem in inputenc to what the buffer is."
>>      (let* ((cs buffer-file-coding-system)
>>             (opt (latexenc-coding-system-to-inputenc cs)))
>>        (when opt
>>          (goto-char (point-min))
>>          (while (re-search-forward "\\\\usepackage\\[\\(.*?\\)\\]
>> {inputenc}"
>>                                    nil t)
>>            (goto-char (match-beginning 1))
>>            (delete-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1))
>>            (insert opt))
>>          (save-buffer))))
>>
>>    (eval-after-load "org-latex"
>>      '(add-hook 'org-export-latex-after-save-hook
>>                 'my-org-export-latex-fix-inputenc))
>>
>> Let me know how it goes.....
>
> Thanks for your solution.
>
> I've tested with both latin1 and utf8 Org buffers and I get the
> correct
> encoding passed to LaTeX in both cases.
>
> Regarding the utf8 encoding, I had a remark in my first message,
> which was:
>
>>> In addition, Org should use the `utf8x' option (instead of `utf8')
>>> which
>>> enables to handle unbreakable spaces (useful in french).
>
> Could you change that too?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Francesco

- Carsten

@ 2010-03-22 14:20           ` Francesco Pizzolante
From: Francesco Pizzolante @ 2010-03-22 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Carsten,

I'm sorry for my very very late reply on this topic, but I'm just observing
problem with this.

I still get the utf8 encoding even if, as you said, I set this:

(setq org-export-latex-inputenc-alist '(("utf8" . "utf8x")))

So, we get the following code:

(defun org-export-latex-fix-inputenc ()
  "Set the codingsystem in inputenc to what the buffer is."
  (let* ((cs buffer-file-coding-system)
	 (opt (or (ignore-errors (latexenc-coding-system-to-inputenc cs))
		  "utf8")))
    (when opt
      ;; Translate if that is requested
      (setq opt (or (cdr (assoc opt org-export-latex-inputenc-alist)) opt))
      ;; find the \usepackage statement and replace the option
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (while (re-search-forward "\\\\usepackage\\[\\(AUTO\\)\\]{inputenc}"
				nil t)
	(goto-char (match-beginning 1))
	(delete-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1))
	(insert opt))
      (and buffer-file-name
	   (save-buffer)))))

If I print the opt variable (message opt), I can see that its value is
correctly set to utf8x.

But, the re-search-forward command always fails. In effect, if I change the
last argument from t to nil, I get the following error:

while: Search failed: "\\\\usepackage\\[\\(AUTO\\)\\]{inputenc}"

I'm using an almost empty Org buffer with no option at all, so it generates a
simple article document class.

I would like to give you more input, but I don't know how to better debug
this. If you have any idea, please let me know.

@ 2010-03-23  8:06             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-03-23  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 22, 2010, at 3:20 PM, Francesco Pizzolante wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> I'm sorry for my very very late reply on this topic, but I'm just
> observing
> problem with this.
>
>> you can remove the code I sent you again, and instead grab the
>> latest git
>> release.
>>
>> Then you can also do
>>
>> (setq org-export-latex-inputenc-alist '(("utf8" . "utf8x")))
>>
>> to get utf8x instead of utf8.
>
> I still get the utf8 encoding even if, as you said, I set this:

> (setq org-export-latex-inputenc-alist '(("utf8" . "utf8x")))
>

> So, we get the following code:

> (defun org-export-latex-fix-inputenc ()
>  "Set the codingsystem in inputenc to what the buffer is."
>  (let* ((cs buffer-file-coding-system)
> 	 (opt (or (ignore-errors (latexenc-coding-system-to-inputenc cs))
> 		  "utf8")))
>    (when opt
>      ;; Translate if that is requested
>      (setq opt (or (cdr (assoc opt org-export-latex-inputenc-alist))
> opt))
>      ;; find the \usepackage statement and replace the option
>      (goto-char (point-min))
>      (while (re-search-forward "\\\\usepackage\\[\\(AUTO\\)\\]
> {inputenc}"
> 				nil t)
> 	(goto-char (match-beginning 1))
> 	(delete-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1))
> 	(insert opt))
>      (and buffer-file-name
> 	   (save-buffer)))))
>
> If I print the opt variable (message opt), I can see that its value is
> correctly set to utf8x.
>
> But, the re-search-forward command always fails. In effect, if I
> change the
> last argument from t to nil, I get the following error:

> while: Search failed: "\\\\usepackage\\[\\(AUTO\\)\\]{inputenc}"
>
> I'm using an almost empty Org buffer with no option at all, so it
> generates a
> simple article document class.
>
> I would like to give you more input, but I don't know how to better
> debug
> this. If you have any idea, please let me know.

Hi Francesco,

Maybe you have customized org-export-latex-classes?  Unfortunately,
this will
make the changes I make in the default value of the variable disappear.
So you need to do one of two things:

- remove your customizations of that variable

or

- edit your value so that in all entries it says

      \usepackage[AUTO]{inputenc}

   instead of a fixed [utf8] or whatever you have there.

HTH

- Carsten

> Thanks a lot,
> Francesco