* Mean of a column in a remote table
@ 2018-12-13 12:42 Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2018-12-13 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode

Hello,

I _think_ this question has a simple answer, but I cannot find it.

I need the mean of a column in a remote table.  My current attempt looks
like this:

| Data              |     a |
|-------------------+-------|
| mic_2_in_648_cell |       |
#+tblfm: $2=remote($1,vmean(@2..@-1))

#+name: mic_2_in_648_cell
|         a |
|-----------|
| 28.886207 |
| 28.900981 |
| 28.886101 |
| 28.900659 |
| 28.900526 |
| 28.886694 |
| 28.886559 |
|  28.90024 |
| 28.900524 |
| 28.900583 |
| 28.886496 |

The second column of the upper table is intended to receive the mean of
table 'mic_2_in_648_cell'.  Instead I get the error 'Row descriptor -1
leads outside table'.

This is a cut down example that captures the essence.

Thanks for any help.

Roger
GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, i386-portbld-freebsd11.2, GTK+ Version 3.22.29)
Org mode version 9.1.13 (release_9.1.13-784-ged7d1d @ /home/rmason/.emacs.d/org-git/lisp/)

* Re: Mean of a column in a remote table
@ 2018-12-13 13:23 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-12-13 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Mason; +Cc: Org-Mode

On Thursday, 13 Dec 2018 at 09:12, Roger Mason wrote:
> #+tblfm: $2=remote($1,vmean(@2..@-1))

[...]

Try @< instead of @-1?
--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.1.14-1034-gafcb1d

* Re: Mean of a column in a remote table
@ 2018-12-13 13:24 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-12-13 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Mason; +Cc: Org-Mode

That should have been @>, not @<.
--

@ 2018-12-13 14:08   ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2018-12-13 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Roger Mason, Org-Mode

Hello Eric,

Eric S Fraga <esflists@gmail.com> writes:

> That should have been @>, not @<.

| Data              | a      |
|-------------------+--------|
| mic_2_in_648_cell | #ERROR |
#+tblfm: $2=remote($1,vmean(@2..@>))

and 'Cells in the region copied, use M-x org-table-paste-rectangle to
paste them in a table.' in the Message buffer.

Thanks,
Roger

* Re: Mean of a column in a remote table
@ 2018-12-13 16:14     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-12-13 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Mason; +Cc: Org-Mode

On Thursday, 13 Dec 2018 at 10:38, Roger Mason wrote:
> Hello Eric,
>
> Eric S Fraga <esflists@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> That should have been @>, not @<.
>
> | Data              | a      |
> |-------------------+--------|
> | mic_2_in_648_cell | #ERROR |
>
> #+tblfm: $2=remote($1,vmean(@2..@>))
>
> and 'Cells in the region copied, use M-x org-table-paste-rectangle to
> paste them in a table.' in the Message buffer.

Umm, I think you want to do the mean of the remote entries so try:
vmean(remote($1,@2..@>)) but I also wonder whether you need to specify
the column as well for remote references?  At least, when I have done
this, I have specified both rows and columns,
e.g. vmean(remote(xxx,@<$>..@>$>)).

--

@ 2018-12-13 18:24       ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2018-12-13 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Roger Mason, Org-Mode

Hello Eric,

Eric S Fraga <esflists@gmail.com> writes:

> Umm, I think you want to do the mean of the remote entries so try:
> vmean(remote($1,@2..@>)) but I also wonder whether you need to specify
> the column as well for remote references?  At least, when I have done
> this, I have specified both rows and columns,
> e.g. vmean(remote(xxx,@<$>..@>$>)).

Yes!  That was it.

Many thanks for your help.

Roger