* Org-Mode Presentation Videos
@ 2008-10-16 19:13 Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-10-16 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Fellow Org'ers,

About a month after Carsten gave his incredible presentation at
Google, I shared his video with the Houston Linux Users Group at one
of our bimonthly Saturday meetings.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, I chose to share his video with the
group and augment it with my own presentation and some demonstrations.

Our HLUG member John Lightsey videotaped the presentation, and we have
made it available on Google Video. Other videos from John and HLUG are
available at http://houstonlinux.org.

Carsten asked me to share these videos with the group, and so here
they are!

There are two parts, the first video is my introduction to Org and
Carsten's talk. It ends where we start Carsten's video, which you can
still see online on Youtube.

The second part comes after we have viewed Carsten's video, and I
continue speaking and perform hands on demonstrations using Org.

Part 1:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3520628301435542631&ei=X473SJSzMoTs-wGD9piJBA&q=hlug

Carsten's Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJTwQvgfgMM

Part 2:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2572085463585491742&ei=X473SJSzMoTs-wGD9piJBA&q=hlug

Feedback is welcome, I hope everyone enjoys the videos as much as I
enjoyed giving the talk!

Thanks!

* Re: Org-Mode Presentation Videos
@ 2008-10-17  9:32 ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2008-10-17  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Russell Adams wrote:
> Fellow Org'ers,
>
> About a month after Carsten gave his incredible presentation at
> Google, I shared his video with the Houston Linux Users Group at one
> of our bimonthly Saturday meetings.
>
> Instead of reinventing the wheel, I chose to share his video with the
> group and augment it with my own presentation and some demonstrations.
>
> Our HLUG member John Lightsey videotaped the presentation, and we have
> made it available on Google Video. Other videos from John and HLUG are
> available at http://houstonlinux.org.
>
> Carsten asked me to share these videos with the group, and so here
> they are!
>
> There are two parts, the first video is my introduction to Org and
> Carsten's talk. It ends where we start Carsten's video, which you can
> still see online on Youtube.
>
> The second part comes after we have viewed Carsten's video, and I
> continue speaking and perform hands on demonstrations using Org.
>
> Part 1:
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3520628301435542631&ei=X473SJSzMoTs-wGD9piJBA&q=hlug
>
> Carsten's Video:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJTwQvgfgMM
>
> Part 2:
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2572085463585491742&ei=X473SJSzMoTs-wGD9piJBA&q=hlug
>
> Feedback is welcome, I hope everyone enjoys the videos as much as I
> enjoyed giving the talk!

I enjoyed watching these; and you're clearly a huge org-mode evangelist!

I found both videos entertaining, but if you're an org-er already and
are short on time, then I'd recommend skipping straight to Part 2 (after
watching Carsten's video of course), where Russell provides a great
demonstration of how he uses org-mode, and the extent to which he uses it!

Only the second half of Part 1 is about org-mode, with the first being a
crash course in xargs command.  Part 1 is primarily an enthusiastic
introduction about how org-mode is one of the few technologies to have
revolutionised the way Russell works for many years.

I found the relaxed chatty pace and banter both interesting and
entertaining but others might prefer a more concise demonstration.

Part 2 is definitely the most enthusiastic and convincing demonstration
of org-mode I've yet seen!  You get the feeling Russell would make a
good salesman ;-)

I'd love to see others try and top it though,

Great work!

R.

* Re: Org-Mode Presentation Videos
@ 2008-10-17 19:30 ` srandby
From: srandby @ 2008-10-17 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Russell Adams wrote:
> Fellow Org'ers,
>
> About a month after Carsten gave his incredible presentation at
> Google, I shared his video with the Houston Linux Users Group at one
> of our bimonthly Saturday meetings.
>
> Instead of reinventing the wheel, I chose to share his video with the
> group and augment it with my own presentation and some demonstrations.
>
> Our HLUG member John Lightsey videotaped the presentation, and we have
> made it available on Google Video. Other videos from John and HLUG are
> available at http://houstonlinux.org.
>
> Carsten asked me to share these videos with the group, and so here
> they are!
>
> There are two parts, the first video is my introduction to Org and
> Carsten's talk. It ends where we start Carsten's video, which you can
> still see online on Youtube.
>
> The second part comes after we have viewed Carsten's video, and I
> continue speaking and perform hands on demonstrations using Org.
>
> Part 1:
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3520628301435542631&ei=X473SJSzMoTs-wGD9piJBA&q=hlug
>
> Carsten's Video:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJTwQvgfgMM
>
> Part 2:
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2572085463585491742&ei=X473SJSzMoTs-wGD9piJBA&q=hlug
>
> Feedback is welcome, I hope everyone enjoys the videos as much as I
> enjoyed giving the talk!

The videos are all extremely useful and enjoyable. Too bad they are not
available in OGG format.

I have one suggestion that simplifies the processing of the LaTeX output
files. Install AUCTeX (http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/). Then you
can stay in Emacs to do the processing. How? Open foo.tex in a buffer,
and type in "C-c C-c latex" to process the file. If you want to view the
  PDF output, type "C-c C-v". I sometimes wish that AUCTeX was included
in the Emacs distribution.

Scott Randby

* Re: Org-Mode Presentation Videos
@ 2008-10-17 19:55   ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-10-17 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: srandby; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 03:30:12PM -0400, srandby@gmail.com wrote:

> The videos are all extremely useful and enjoyable. Too bad they are not
> available in OGG format.

They are! Ogg Theora "raw" video is available on
http://video.houstonlinux.org/, in the raw directory. The timestamp is
August 9th, this year. Two files total.

If you just want audio, it can be extracted. ;]

> I have one suggestion that simplifies the processing of the LaTeX output
> files. Install AUCTeX (http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/). Then you
> can stay in Emacs to do the processing. How? Open foo.tex in a buffer,
> and type in "C-c C-c latex" to process the file. If you want to view the
>  PDF output, type "C-c C-v". I sometimes wish that AUCTeX was included
> in the Emacs distribution.

Actually, I prefer the Makefile. I often tweak items in the export
template up top and in the "Local Variables" at the bottom, and either
I have to use 'normal-mode' or C-c C-c to reload these individually.

The Makefile kicks off a new emacs, no need to reload at all. It also
runs pdflatex twice. I'd tinkered with making my Graphviz .dot files a
dependency too so they'll be updated.

@ 2008-10-17 20:07   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2008-10-17 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2008-10-17 20:30 +0100, srandby@gmail.com wrote:
> I sometimes wish that AUCTeX was included in the Emacs distribution.

I think this is the goal. They're collecting copy assignments from
developers. Sometimes this can take forever:(

Best,
--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

        Use the better alternative -- http://www.openoffice.org/

* Re: Org-Mode Presentation Videos
@ 2008-10-18 15:06     ` srandby
From: srandby @ 2008-10-18 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Russell Adams wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 03:30:12PM -0400, srandby@gmail.com wrote:
>> The videos are all extremely useful and enjoyable. Too bad they are not
>> available in OGG format.
>
> They are! Ogg Theora "raw" video is available on
> http://video.houstonlinux.org/, in the raw directory. The timestamp is
> August 9th, this year. Two files total.

Thanks.

>> I have one suggestion that simplifies the processing of the LaTeX output
>> files. Install AUCTeX (http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/). Then you
>> can stay in Emacs to do the processing. How? Open foo.tex in a buffer,
>> and type in "C-c C-c latex" to process the file. If you want to view the
>>  PDF output, type "C-c C-v". I sometimes wish that AUCTeX was included
>> in the Emacs distribution.
>
> Actually, I prefer the Makefile. I often tweak items in the export
> template up top and in the "Local Variables" at the bottom, and either
> I have to use 'normal-mode' or C-c C-c to reload these individually.
>
> The Makefile kicks off a new emacs, no need to reload at all. It also
> runs pdflatex twice. I'd tinkered with making my Graphviz .dot files a
> dependency too so they'll be updated.

Now I understand what you were doing during the talk. My knowledge is
too limited to use a Makefile, but I'm intrigued.

One comment. I've been using LaTeX for about 15 years, Emacs for about 2
years and Org-Mode for about 8 months. My LaTeX files are heavily
customized and I'm used to working with them without org-mode. My few,
and not very serious, attempts to move my LaTeX work to org-mode have
not given satisfactory results, so I've put off changing my work flow
until I have more time to figure out the LaTeX export features of
org-mode. But, I am using org-mode extensively for my other work related
tasks. I have org files that keep track of my students' grades and my
web site is built from a single org file. As you pointed out in your
talk, org-mode allows one to work!

Scott Randby

* Re: Org-Mode Presentation Videos
@ 2008-10-18 19:16       ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-10-18 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: [emacs-orgmode]

srandby@gmail.com wrote:
> One comment. I've been using LaTeX for about 15 years, Emacs for about 2
> years and Org-Mode for about 8 months. My LaTeX files are heavily
> customized and I'm used to working with them without org-mode. My few,
> and not very serious, attempts to move my LaTeX work to org-mode have
> not given satisfactory results, so I've put off changing my work flow
> until I have more time to figure out the LaTeX export features of
> org-mode. But, I am using org-mode extensively for my other work related
> tasks. I have org files that keep track of my students' grades and my
> web site is built from a single org file. As you pointed out in your
> talk, org-mode allows one to work!

There was a post on this list from Russel Adams, that shows how to use
custom LaTeX headers. My setup is derived from that post, and enables
the usage of a commen LaTeX-header for Org export and the rest of my
LaTeX files:

.emacs:

(setq org-export-latex-classes (cons '("myarticle"
      "% BEGIN My Article Defaults
\\input{/home/sebastian/develop/lib/latex/header-pdf.tex}
"

      ("\\rzchapteridx{%s}" . "\\rzchapteridx{%s}")
      ("\\rzsection{%s}{}" . "\\rzsection{%s}")
      ("\\rzsubsection{%s}" . "\\rzsubsection{%s}")
      ("\\rzsubsubsection{%s}" . "\\rzsubsubsection{%s}"))
      org-export-latex-classes))

As you can see here, I include the common header file, and customize
the classes used for headlines on export. Since now the creation of
PDFs is now possible directly from Org-mode (C-c C-e p), this is the
easiest way to do it.

*.org:

#+LaTeX_CLASS: myarticle

Regards,

   Sebastian

* Re: Org-Mode Presentation Videos
@ 2008-10-19 18:02         ` srandby
From: srandby @ 2008-10-19 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: [emacs-orgmode]

Sebastian Rose wrote:
> srandby@gmail.com wrote:
>> One comment. I've been using LaTeX for about 15 years, Emacs for about
>> 2 years and Org-Mode for about 8 months. My LaTeX files are heavily
>> customized and I'm used to working with them without org-mode. My few,
>> and not very serious, attempts to move my LaTeX work to org-mode have
>> not given satisfactory results, so I've put off changing my work flow
>> until I have more time to figure out the LaTeX export features of
>> org-mode. But, I am using org-mode extensively for my other work
>> related tasks. I have org files that keep track of my students' grades
>> and my web site is built from a single org file. As you pointed out in
>> your talk, org-mode allows one to work!
>
> There was a post on this list from Russel Adams, that shows how to use
> custom LaTeX headers. My setup is derived from that post, and enables
> the usage of a commen LaTeX-header for Org export and the rest of my
> LaTeX files:
>
> .emacs:
>
> (setq org-export-latex-classes (cons '("myarticle"
>      "% BEGIN My Article Defaults
> \\input{/home/sebastian/develop/lib/latex/header-pdf.tex}
> "
>
>      ("\\rzchapteridx{%s}" . "\\rzchapteridx{%s}")
>      ("\\rzsection{%s}{}" . "\\rzsection{%s}")
>      ("\\rzsubsection{%s}" . "\\rzsubsection{%s}")
>      ("\\rzsubsubsection{%s}" . "\\rzsubsubsection{%s}"))
>      org-export-latex-classes))
>
> As you can see here, I include the common header file, and customize
> the classes used for headlines on export. Since now the creation of
> PDFs is now possible directly from Org-mode (C-c C-e p), this is the
> easiest way to do it.
>
> *.org:
>
> #+LaTeX_CLASS: myarticle

Thanks for this information. I still have a long way to go before I can
use org-mode for LaTeX export.

First, I don't know emacs lisp. I've been planning to learn it, but
finding the time is difficult and I'm not a professional programmer.

Second, the customizations I use for LaTeX vary widely between files. My
understanding of your code, please correct me if I'm wrong, is that if I
have multiple header files for different types of documents, then I must
change my .emacs each time I want to change headers. This doesn't seem
to be very convenient to me. I suppose it is possible to write some code
to take care of multiple header files, but what if one has a brand new
header file?

Please understand that I haven't really explored the LaTeX export
features of org-mode very thoroughly. However, my impression is that the
LaTeX export capabilities of org-mode are somewhat limited at this time.
This isn't a bad thing. I don't think org-mode was designed to be a
replacement for something like AUCTeX. Anyway, org-mode is works well
for me for non-LaTeX tasks, so I'll continue to rely on it.

Scott Randby

* Re: Org-Mode Presentation Videos
@ 2008-10-19 18:44           ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-10-19 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: srandby; +Cc: [emacs-orgmode]

  On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 11:32 PM, wrote:
> [...]
  >
  > Second, the customizations I use for LaTeX vary widely between files. My
  > understanding of your code, please correct me if I'm wrong, is that if I
  > have multiple header files for different types of documents, then I must
  > change my .emacs each time I want to change headers. This doesn't seem to be
  > very convenient to me. I suppose it is possible to write some code to take
  > care of multiple header files, but what if one has a brand new header file?
  >
  > Please understand that I haven't really explored the LaTeX export features
  > of org-mode very thoroughly. However, my impression is that the LaTeX export
  > capabilities of org-mode are somewhat limited at this time. This isn't a bad
  > thing. I don't think org-mode was designed to be a replacement for something
  > like AUCTeX. Anyway, org-mode is works well for me for non-LaTeX tasks, so

I am a relatively new (an year old) to both Latex and Emacs and
oven-fresh to Org's latex export so a lot of what I say might sound
naive.

I have found that I write only a certain "types" of latex documents,
professional reports and personal resume for example.  And each type
tends to have same preamble.  Even between latex documents much of the
preamble is also similar.  So if I follow Sebastien and Russell's
setup, I will need to define two custom latex classes in Org and three
files containing header/preamble stuff -- one for each class and one
with common setup.  When I need to write a certain type of document, I
will simply need to specify "#+LaTeX_CLASS: myreport" or
"#+LaTeX_CLASS: myarticle" to select the kind of document I would like
to create and appropriate preamble would be included, no need to
fiddle with .emacs every time.  org-export-latex-classes is worth a
look.

I have not yet found an intuitive way to include images yet but I know
I am going to like making documents in Org a lot.  I think it will
take me 80% of the way and final tweaks (say adding references to
sections, figures etc.) could be done in exported latex file.

Caveat: I do not typeset any math so I don't know how that would work
out with Org.

--
Manish

* Re: Org-Mode Presentation Videos
@ 2008-10-19 18:45           ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-10-19 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 02:02:07PM -0400, srandby@gmail.com wrote:
> Sebastian Rose wrote:
> First, I don't know emacs lisp. I've been planning to learn it, but
> finding the time is difficult and I'm not a professional programmer.

Don't need to know lisp. ;]

> Second, the customizations I use for LaTeX vary widely between files. My
> understanding of your code, please correct me if I'm wrong, is that if I
> have multiple header files for different types of documents, then I must
> change my .emacs each time I want to change headers. This doesn't seem
> to be very convenient to me. I suppose it is possible to write some code
> to take care of multiple header files, but what if one has a brand new
> header file?

There is a new feature where you can use template lines for the latex
header instead of customizing .emacs or loading a local variable.

#+LATEX_HEADER my header here
#+LATEX_HEADER my second row here

I think this is new in git, you may have to have the latest.

> Please understand that I haven't really explored the LaTeX export
> features of org-mode very thoroughly. However, my impression is that the
> LaTeX export capabilities of org-mode are somewhat limited at this time.
> This isn't a bad thing. I don't think org-mode was designed to be a
> replacement for something like AUCTeX. Anyway, org-mode is works well
> for me for non-LaTeX tasks, so I'll continue to rely on it.

I use org for the main structure, and then include latex code in my
org docs for tweaks. It works pretty well.

Enjoy

* Re: Org-Mode Presentation Videos
@ 2008-10-19 21:39             ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-10-19 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Russell Adams wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 02:02:07PM -0400, srandby@gmail.com wrote:
>> Sebastian Rose wrote:
>> First, I don't know emacs lisp. I've been planning to learn it, but
>> finding the time is difficult and I'm not a professional programmer.
>
> Don't need to know lisp. ;]

Right, my lisp is a desaster. But there are so many snippets for emacs'
custtomization around (in the org-manual, on this list, in emacs docs),
that I manage to fiddle something together.

And, it does not hurt to ask ;-)

>> Second, the customizations I use for LaTeX vary widely between files. My
>> understanding of your code, please correct me if I'm wrong, is that if I
>> have multiple header files for different types of documents, then I must
>> change my .emacs each time I want to change headers. This doesn't seem
>> to be very convenient to me. I suppose it is possible to write some code
>> to take care of multiple header files, but what if one has a brand new
>> header file?
>
> There is a new feature where you can use template lines for the latex
> header instead of customizing .emacs or loading a local variable.
>
> #+LATEX_HEADER my header here
> #+LATEX_HEADER my second row here
>
> I think this is new in git, you may have to have the latest.

Russel is always one step ahead :-D

But still, I prefer the elisp setup, since it's as Manish said:

> I have found that I write only a certain "types" of latex documents,
> professional reports and personal resume for example.  And each type
> tends to have same preamble.  Even between latex documents much of the
> preamble is also similar.

I use one LaTeX-header for all, mostly documentation for customers.
That's how LaTeX is supposed to be used, right? Define one header file
with logos, page headers and footers, link colors etc., and that's it.

* Re: Org-Mode Presentation Videos
@ 2008-10-20  0:03               ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-10-20  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 11:39:45PM +0200, Sebastian Rose wrote:
>> I have found that I write only a certain "types" of latex documents,
>> professional reports and personal resume for example.  And each type
>> tends to have same preamble.  Even between latex documents much of the
>> preamble is also similar.
>
> I use one LaTeX-header for all, mostly documentation for customers.
> That's how LaTeX is supposed to be used, right? Define one header file
> with logos, page headers and footers, link colors etc., and that's it.

So create a very basic template in .emacs for Org that "includes" an
external stylesheet that you can customize or replace. Sounds like
what I'm doing.

* Re: Org-Mode Presentation Videos
@ 2008-10-20  1:11                 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-10-20  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Russell Adams wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 11:39:45PM +0200, Sebastian Rose wrote:
>>> I have found that I write only a certain "types" of latex documents,
>>> professional reports and personal resume for example.  And each type
>>> tends to have same preamble.  Even between latex documents much of the
>>> preamble is also similar.
>> I use one LaTeX-header for all, mostly documentation for customers.
>> That's how LaTeX is supposed to be used, right? Define one header file
>> with logos, page headers and footers, link colors etc., and that's it.
>
> So create a very basic template in .emacs for Org that "includes" an
> external stylesheet that you can customize or replace. Sounds like
> what I'm doing.

I've stolen it from you're mail lately :-D

Thanks,

   Sebastian