* Google Tech Talk
@ 2008-07-17 18:07 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-07-17 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode Org-Mode

Hi,

I was over at Google on Tuesday and gave a Google Tech Talk about Org-
mode.
If you are interested, I have put a link to the video on the Org-mode
home page.
Or go directly to youtube at

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJTwQvgfgMM

- Carsten

* Re: Google Tech Talk
@ 2008-07-17 21:39 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-07-17 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode Org-Mode

> I was over at Google on Tuesday and gave a Google Tech Talk about Org-
> mode.
> If you are interested, I have put a link to the video on the Org-mode
> home page.
> Or go directly to youtube at
>
>                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJTwQvgfgMM

Hi Carsten!  It's nice to finally see you :)

Even though I've been an org-mode user for years I listened to your
entire talk to see what else I could pick up and use and I wasn't
disappointed!  Great job!

Thanks for the tip on replacing outline-mode with org-mode as the
default for my .txt files.

I also never use priorities.  I've tried it a few times but always end
up turning it off and just scheduling the top priority things onto
today's agenda.

Thanks again for making this resource available!

Cheers!

-Bernt

* Re: Google Tech Talk
@ 2008-07-18 16:12   ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2008-07-18 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I was over at Google on Tuesday and gave a Google Tech Talk about Org-
>> mode.
>> If you are interested, I have put a link to the video on the Org-mode
>> home page.
>> Or go directly to youtube at
>>
>>                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJTwQvgfgMM
>
> Hi Carsten!  It's nice to finally see you :)
>
> Even though I've been an org-mode user for years I listened to your
> entire talk to see what else I could pick up and use and I wasn't
> disappointed!  Great job!

[...]

Second that.  Good talk.

 sivaram

* Re: Re: Google Tech Talk
@ 2008-07-18 16:44     ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-07-18 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 09:42:33PM +0530, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>
> > Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> I was over at Google on Tuesday and gave a Google Tech Talk about Org-
> >> mode.
> >> If you are interested, I have put a link to the video on the Org-mode
> >> home page.
> >> Or go directly to youtube at
> >>
> >>                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJTwQvgfgMM
> >
> > Hi Carsten!  It's nice to finally see you :)
> >
> > Even though I've been an org-mode user for years I listened to your
> > entire talk to see what else I could pick up and use and I wasn't
> > disappointed!  Great job!
> >

> [...]
>
> Second that.  Good talk.
>
>  sivaram

I think that was an excellent talk. I'll be recommending it in the
future.

I also advocate its worth learning emacs, just to use org-mode. ;]

* Re: Google Tech Talk
@ 2008-07-18 17:10 ` Jose Robins
From: Jose Robins @ 2008-07-18 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode Org-Mode

Awesome job, Carsten!! You were every bit as gracious and great as I
imagined you in my mind based on all your emails in this group !! :)

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was over at Google on Tuesday and gave a Google Tech Talk about
> Org-mode.
> If you are interested, I have put a link to the video on the Org-mode
> home page.
> Or go directly to youtube at
>
>                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJTwQvgfgMM
>
> - Carsten

* Re: Google Tech Talk
@ 2008-07-19  6:45   ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-07-19  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Robins; +Cc: org-mode Org-Mode, Carsten Dominik

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:40 PM, Jose Robins wrote:
> Awesome job, Carsten!! You were every bit as gracious and great as I
> imagined you in my mind based on all your emails in this group !! :)

+1 :)

-- Manish

* Re: Google Tech Talk
@ 2008-07-19  7:44     ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2008-07-19  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: org-mode Org-Mode

Manish wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:40 PM, Jose Robins wrote:
>> Awesome job, Carsten!! You were every bit as gracious and great as I
>> imagined you in my mind based on all your emails in this group !! :)
>>

> +1 :)

+2
Just a quick question about distributing the video. I know of people who
 would be interested in watching it, but would rather download a file to
watch at their leisure, than see it on YouTube.

Is it possible to make the talk available as a download? If it helps I
already have it as a flash (.flv) file, as I wanted to keep it to watch
again. Subject to Carsten's and Google's agreement I would be happy to
make this available on my server for others to download.

Ian.

* Re: Google Tech Talk
@ 2008-07-19 14:46       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-07-19 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Barton; +Cc: org-mode Org-Mode

Hi Ian,

there are tons of utilities on the web to download a youtube video to a
computer.  But I am not sure about the legalities, so I will not make a
downloaded version available.  I am too happy about the existence of
this resource, so I don't want to piss people off by making a illegal
copy
available.

- Carsten

On Jul 19, 2008, at 12:44 AM, Ian Barton wrote:

> Manish wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:40 PM, Jose Robins wrote:
>>> Awesome job, Carsten!! You were every bit as gracious and great as I
>>> imagined you in my mind based on all your emails in this group !! :)
>>>

>> +1 :)
>>
> +2
> Just a quick question about distributing the video. I know of people
> who
> would be interested in watching it, but would rather download a file
> watch at their leisure, than see it on YouTube.
>
> Is it possible to make the talk available as a download? If it helps I
> already have it as a flash (.flv) file, as I wanted to keep it to
> watch
> again. Subject to Carsten's and Google's agreement I would be happy to
> make this available on my server for others to download.
>
> Ian.

* Re: Google Tech Talk
@ 2008-07-19 14:56         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-07-19 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode Org-Mode

I just looked into it some more, and it seems that downloading
is in fact not allowed.  So lets not do this.

- Carsten

On Jul 19, 2008, at 7:46 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> there are tons of utilities on the web to download a youtube video
> to a
> computer.  But I am not sure about the legalities, so I will not
> make a
> downloaded version available.  I am too happy about the existence of
> this resource, so I don't want to piss people off by making a
> illegal copy
> available.
>
> - Carsten
>
> On Jul 19, 2008, at 12:44 AM, Ian Barton wrote:
>
>> Manish wrote:
>>>>

>>> +1 :)
>>>
>> +2
>> Just a quick question about distributing the video. I know of
>> people who
>> would be interested in watching it, but would rather download a
>> file to
>> watch at their leisure, than see it on YouTube.
>>
>> Is it possible to make the talk available as a download? If it
>> helps I
>> already have it as a flash (.flv) file, as I wanted to keep it to
>> watch
>> again. Subject to Carsten's and Google's agreement I would be happy
>> make this available on my server for others to download.
>>
>> Ian.

* Re: Google Tech Talk
@ 2008-07-19 15:12           ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2008-07-19 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode Org-Mode

OK, I can understand Google's reasons for not allowing downloading. I
presume that the video remains available indefinitely on YouTube. In
fact many Google Tech talk videos do eventually become available for
download from Google themselves.

Ian.

@ 2008-07-19 15:20             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-07-19 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Barton; +Cc: org-mode Org-Mode

On Jul 19, 2008, at 8:12 AM, Ian Barton wrote:

> OK, I can understand Google's reasons for not allowing downloading. I
> presume that the video remains available indefinitely on YouTube. In
> fact many Google Tech talk videos do eventually become available for
> download from Google themselves.

Really?  Can you send me an example link?  Then I could check with the
Google people.

- Carsten

> Ian.
>
>> I just looked into it some more, and it seems that downloading
>> is in fact not allowed.  So lets not do this.
>>
>> - Carsten
>>
>> On Jul 19, 2008, at 7:46 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ian,
>>>
>>> there are tons of utilities on the web to download a youtube video
>>> to a
>>> computer.  But I am not sure about the legalities, so I will not
>>> make a
>>> downloaded version available.  I am too happy about the existence of
>>> this resource, so I don't want to piss people off by making a
>>> illegal
>>> copy

@ 2008-07-19 15:27               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-07-19 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:

> On Jul 19, 2008, at 8:12 AM, Ian Barton wrote:
>
>> OK, I can understand Google's reasons for not allowing downloading. I
>> presume that the video remains available indefinitely on YouTube. In
>> fact many Google Tech talk videos do eventually become available for
>> download from Google themselves.
>
> Really?  Can you send me an example link?  Then I could check with the
> Google people.

Take Merlin Mann's talk, for example:

On the top right frame, there is a link "Download - iPod/PSP".
Clicking on it let you download the talk in .mp4 format.

Maybe they don't offer this service for newer talks because they are
slowly moving people from Google video to Youtube?  Not sure though.

--
Bastien

* Re: Google Tech Talk
@ 2008-07-19 15:40                 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-07-19 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ah yes, I see this.  Maybe this will come automatically eventually.

I'll check.

- Carsten

On Jul 19, 2008, at 8:27 AM, Bastien wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:
>
>> On Jul 19, 2008, at 8:12 AM, Ian Barton wrote:
>>
>>> OK, I can understand Google's reasons for not allowing
>>> downloading. I
>>> presume that the video remains available indefinitely on YouTube. In
>>> fact many Google Tech talk videos do eventually become available for
>>> download from Google themselves.
>>
>> Really?  Can you send me an example link?  Then I could check with
>> the
>> Google people.
>
> Take Merlin Mann's talk, for example:
>
>  http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=973149761529535925
>
> On the top right frame, there is a link "Download - iPod/PSP".
> Clicking on it let you download the talk in .mp4 format.
>
> Maybe they don't offer this service for newer talks because they are
> slowly moving people from Google video to Youtube?  Not sure though.
>
> --
> Bastien

* Re: Google Tech Talk
@ 2008-07-19 16:28                   ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2008-07-19 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:

> Ah yes, I see this.  Maybe this will come automatically eventually.
>
> I'll check.
>
> - Carsten

[...]

Well, this free player supports viewing youtube and google videos on
the PC.  Must be legal as they'd been sued by now if it wasn't.

http://www.getmiro.com/

by

The Participatory Culture Foundation is a non-profit organization
founded in February 2005. We're based in Worcester, MA, but many of us
are based elsewhere. There are ten full-time staff, and many
volunteers. Our funding currently comes from private philanthropists
and non-profit foundations, as well as our users . Our mission is to
build software and websites to create an independent, creative,
engaging, and meritocratic TV system for millions of people around the
world.

 sivaram

* Re: Google Tech Talk
@ 2008-07-19 16:54               ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2008-07-19 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode Org-Mode

Here is a Python one:

Note the Download video - iPod/PSP link on the Details tab.

Ian.

> On Jul 19, 2008, at 8:12 AM, Ian Barton wrote:
>
>> OK, I can understand Google's reasons for not allowing downloading. I
>> presume that the video remains available indefinitely on YouTube. In
>> fact many Google Tech talk videos do eventually become available for
>> download from Google themselves.
>
> Really?  Can you send me an example link?  Then I could check with the
> Google people.
>
> - Carsten

* Re: Google Tech Talk
@ 2008-07-19 17:09                 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2008-07-19 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

It seems that only the videos hosted on http://video.google.com offer
downloads.

A bit of research with my Python example shows it hosted on several
Google sites, but only video.google offers downloading.

Ian.

@ 2008-07-20 16:56 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2008-07-20 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2008-07-17 19:07 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was over at Google on Tuesday and gave a Google Tech Talk about
> Org-
> mode.
> If you are interested, I have put a link to the video on the
> Org-mode home page.
> Or go directly to youtube at
>
>                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJTwQvgfgMM
>
> - Carsten

Congratulations on this ;)

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

        Use the better alternative -- http://www.openoffice.org/

* Re: Re: Google Tech Talk
@ 2008-07-22 17:26       ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-07-22 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Regarding the Google Tech Talk, I've been considering giving a
presentation on org-mode to the local Linux Users Group.

There is no way I can top Carsten's presentation, so instead I'd like
to share the video with the group, and I'll be on hand to answer
questions and perform demonstrations.

I skimmed to the end to see the copyright, it wasn't specific about
public viewing (then again, its on YouTube!). I thought I'd ask if it
would be an issue.

My other thought was that other subscribers may have suggestions for
additional topics that would augment Carsten's incredible work. At
this point the best way I can add value is by answering questions in
person, but I would be open to suggestions.

Thanks.

* Re: Re: Google Tech Talk
@ 2008-07-22 17:58         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-07-22 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Adams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Russel,

regarding the copyright, I cannot imagin this being a problem,
in particular if you pull up the live youtube page and view it
from there.  If the quality is not enough for a big screen, you
could consider projecting the slides only which I have made
available as flash and PDF here:

http://orgmode.org/GoogleTech.html

Additional points:

My talk is clearly not complete, and once users are familar with
the basic concepts (on which my talks focuses), there is a lot
of room to add stuff.  For example:

- Demo the construction of complex queries including tags,
   properties, todo keywords.  The demo could construct queries
   simple at the prompt, or in the customize interface.
   In fact, this is an area where a good tutorial still needs to
   be written.

- Demo the search view which lets you query an outline tree like
   a knowledge base.

- Export and publishing, I pretty much skimmed over that completely.

- Demo all kinds of customization stuff, for example setting the
   TODO states, the tag interface (difference between completion
   and the one-key-per-tag interface), STARTUP keywords for initial
   visibility and other stuff.

- Demo logging of TODO-state changes.

- Demo clocking time, maybe together with effort estimates.

If you put a lot of work into it, consider taping yourself
and put the result up on youtube. :-)

Good luck!

- Carsten

On Jul 22, 2008, at 10:26 AM, Russell Adams wrote:

> Regarding the Google Tech Talk, I've been considering giving a
> presentation on org-mode to the local Linux Users Group.
>
> There is no way I can top Carsten's presentation, so instead I'd like
> to share the video with the group, and I'll be on hand to answer
> questions and perform demonstrations.
>
> I skimmed to the end to see the copyright, it wasn't specific about
> public viewing (then again, its on YouTube!). I thought I'd ask if it
> would be an issue.
>
> My other thought was that other subscribers may have suggestions for
> additional topics that would augment Carsten's incredible work. At
> this point the best way I can add value is by answering questions in
> person, but I would be open to suggestions.
>
> Thanks.

> Russell Adams                            RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.com
>
> PGP Key ID:     0x1160DCB3           http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/
>
> Fingerprint:    1723 D8CA 4280 1EC9 557F  66E8 1154 E018 1160 DCB3

* Re: Re: Google Tech Talk
@ 2008-07-22 19:09           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-07-22 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Russell Adams, emacs-orgmode

One more thing,  I am perfectly happy to give my slides also
as powerpoint or keynote formats to anyone interested to
uses them making a presentation about Org-mode.  In fact, I have
just uploaded those files to http://orgmode.org/GoogleTech.html
as well.

- Carsten

@ 2008-07-23  0:56       ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2008-07-23  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

> I also advocate its worth learning emacs, just to use org-mode. ;]

Been there, still doing this ;)

While googling for some software, I found Sacha Chuas
Blog. She wrote quite a bit about planner and org-mode
and I thought: "This sounds nice. Vim can not do this ;("
So I installed emacs and used org for a while.
Now I am trying to learn more about emacs.
Still, it is quite a struggle ;)

Though there are some powerfull modes for emacs,
org-mode is the one keeping me sticking to it.

I wish everything would work so easy.

Thanks for this great Mode and this extraordinary
Mailinglist!

* Re: Google Tech Talk
@ 2008-07-23 13:28 srandby
From: srandby @ 2008-07-23 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Org-Mode List

The talk was impressive, especially because it made me aware of the
org-mode web site and this mailing list. I've been using org-mode for
about 7 months after finding out about it through an article in Linux
Journal. I'm a mathematics professor and I use org-mode to keep track of
grades. I have things set up so that all I need to do is input scores
into a table and all calculations are done automatically. Very cool.
Every other system I've used for recording grades has either been a pain
to customize or required me to do hand calculations. Org-mode was the
solution to my grade recording problem.

I use org-mode for a few other tasks, but I'm still learning its
features. From the talk, I played around with the LaTeX preview feature,
but I don't think I'll use it much. The preview graphic was too small
for my bad eyes and I already have a relatively convenient system for
doing LaTeX work. However, I am intrigued by the publishing features of
org-mode when it comes to HTML. I use tables on my website because
certain unmentionable browsers don't work well with CSS unless one is
willing to maintain complicated code. I don't have time to maintain
complicated code for ridiculous browsers, so I still use tables. I
gather that org-mode will be enable me to simplify working with HTML
tables. I'll definitely look into this.

Emacs and org-mode are fantastic.

Scott Randby