* org syntax: is \begin{equation} a latex-fragment?
@ 2024-04-18 11:56 Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2024-04-18 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Is it expected that

---- 8< ----
\begin{equation}
---- >8 ----

is parsed by (org-element-parse-buffer) as the following?

(latex-fragment ... :value "\\begin{equation}")

\begin{something} is quite special in LaTeX, so despite it is similar to
`latex-fragment' definition, it almost certainly leads to an error.
Perhaps is should be detected by `org-lint' and treated as literal text
by `org-element' since it is incomplete `latex-environment'.

I noticed it trying to figure out how Gnus inline preview works. In the
following fragment (e.g. of this message)

#+startup: latexpreview
\begin{equation}
   x = 1
\end{equation}

2 lines (startup and \begin{equation}) are passed to an Org mode
temporary buffer.

* Re: org syntax: is \begin{equation} a latex-fragment?
@ 2024-04-19 18:10 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-04-19 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Is it expected that
>
> ---- 8< ----
> \begin{equation}
> ---- >8 ----
>
> is parsed by (org-element-parse-buffer) as the following?
>
> (latex-fragment ... :value "\\begin{equation}")

Yes.
It matches https://orgmode.org/worg/org-syntax.html#LaTeX_Fragments

> \begin{something} is quite special in LaTeX, so despite it is similar to
> `latex-fragment' definition, it almost certainly leads to an error.
> Perhaps is should be detected by `org-lint' and treated as literal text
> by `org-element' since it is incomplete `latex-environment'.

Yes, a linter would make sense.
Patches welcome!

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,