* [BUG] Partially broken Org mode when remote setupfile is unavailable
@ 2024-03-19 10:46 Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2024-03-19 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I have tried the following .org file

--- 8< ---
#+setupfile: /dav:localhost#8000:/setup-dav-123.org

* Heading

[[https://orgmode.org/][Link]]
--- >8 ---

Having no webdav server running. Expected error:
> Package ‘tramp-gvfs’ not supported
> File mode specification error: (user-error Package `tramp-gvfs' not supported)

Unexpected errors:
- When point is on any non-empty line, RET is broken
> save-excursion: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
- The link is not fontified (it is parsed properly however and even may
be opened).

In the case of unavailable http: setupfile, RET is not broken,
but the link is not fontified.

--- 8< ---
#+setupfile: http://localhost:8000/setup-http-987.org

* Heading

[[https://orgmode.org/][Link]]
--- >8 ---

I expect that inaccessible setupfiles are just ignored and Org should
work as without "#+setupfile:" lines.

Emacs-28 Org current main HEAD.

* Re: [BUG] Partially broken Org mode when remote setupfile is unavailable
@ 2024-03-20 12:15 ` Ihor Radchenko
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-03-20 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Confirmed.

> I have tried the following .org file
>
> --- 8< ---
> #+setupfile: /dav:localhost#8000:/setup-dav-123.org
>
> * Heading
>
> [[https://orgmode.org/][Link]]
> --- >8 ---
>
> Having no webdav server running. Expected error:
>> Package ‘tramp-gvfs’ not supported
>> File mode specification error: (user-error Package `tramp-gvfs' not supported)
>
> Unexpected errors:
> - When point is on any non-empty line, RET is broken
>> save-excursion: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
> - The link is not fontified (it is parsed properly however and even may
> be opened).

This is because `file-remote-p' throws an error. I believe that it is
Emacs bug.
See https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68976

> In the case of unavailable http: setupfile, RET is not broken,
> but the link is not fontified.
>
> --- 8< ---
> #+setupfile: http://localhost:8000/setup-http-987.org
>
> * Heading
>
> [[https://orgmode.org/][Link]]
> --- >8 ---
>
> I expect that inaccessible setupfiles are just ignored and Org should
> work as without "#+setupfile:" lines.

This is because of another bug in Emacs.
See https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=58888

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [BUG] Partially broken Org mode when remote setupfile is unavailable
@ 2024-03-27 14:33   ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2024-03-27 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 20/03/2024 19:15, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Max Nikulin writes:
>> #+setupfile: /dav:localhost#8000:/setup-dav-123.org
[...]
>>> Package ‘tramp-gvfs’ not supported
>>> File mode specification error: (user-error Package `tramp-gvfs' not supported)
[...]
>> - When point is on any non-empty line, RET is broken
>>> save-excursion: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
[...]
> This is because `file-remote-p' throws an error. [...]
> See https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68976

Thanks for the link. I would consider a workaround:

(defun org-file-remote-p (file &rest args)
   (condition-case err
       (apply #'file-remote-p file args)
     ('user-error
      (let ((file (apply #'tramp-file-name-for-operation
			#'file-remote-p file args)))
        (and (tramp-tramp-file-p file)
	  (tramp-handle-file-remote-p file))))))

* Re: [BUG] Partially broken Org mode when remote setupfile is unavailable
@ 2024-03-30 10:02   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-03-30 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> Unexpected errors:
>> - When point is on any non-empty line, RET is broken
>>> save-excursion: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>> - The link is not fontified (it is parsed properly however and even may
>> be opened).
>
> This is because `file-remote-p' throws an error. I believe that it is
> Emacs bug.
> See https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68976

This part is now addressed by
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=4255d5dcc

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [BUG] Partially broken Org mode when remote setupfile is unavailable
@ 2024-04-01 10:11     ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2024-04-01 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 30/03/2024 17:02, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Ihor Radchenko writes:
>
>>> Unexpected errors:
>>> - When point is on any non-empty line, RET is broken
>>> - The link is not fontified (it is parsed properly however and even may
>>> be opened).
>>
>> This is because `file-remote-p' throws an error. I believe that it is
>> Emacs bug.
>> See https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68976
>
> This part is now addressed by
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=4255d5dcc

You are right that a workaround with `org-file-remote-p' would not help.
On the other hand I can reproduce the issue with Emacs-28 and the error
happens in `org--collect-keywords-1' due to the `expand-file-name' call.
That is why I can not agree that it is addressed.

* Re: [BUG] Partially broken Org mode when remote setupfile is unavailable
@ 2024-04-01 11:10       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-04-01 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=1d86651be

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [BUG] Partially broken Org mode when remote setupfile is unavailable
@ 2024-04-09  8:07   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-04-09  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> --- 8< ---
>> #+setupfile: http://localhost:8000/setup-http-987.org
>>
>> * Heading
>>
>> [[https://orgmode.org/][Link]]
>> --- >8 ---
>>
>> I expect that inaccessible setupfiles are just ignored and Org should
>> work as without "#+setupfile:" lines.
>
> This is because of another bug in Emacs.
> See https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=58888

The Emacs bug has been fixed.
There is no workaround we can employ on Org side other than waiting for
new Emacs releases with the fix in place.
Closing.
Handled.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [BUG] Partially broken Org mode when remote setupfile is unavailable
@ 2024-04-09 10:30     ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2024-04-09 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 09/04/2024 15:07, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Ihor Radchenko writes:
>
>>> #+setupfile: http://localhost:8000/setup-http-987.org
>>>
>>> * Heading
>>>
>>> [[https://orgmode.org/][Link]]
[...]
>> See https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=58888
>
> The Emacs bug has been fixed.
> There is no workaround we can employ on Org side other than waiting for
> new Emacs releases with the fix in place.

I was considering a kludge with setting `org-resource-download-policy'
to 'safe during loading of Org mode if its current value is 'prompt. I
am unsure however if it is possible to detect whether the bug is fixed.
I see several `defun' in the patch, so perhaps some of them might be
leveraged for such test.