emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Record extra info for each time block
@ 2009-04-06 14:54 Francesco Pizzolante
  2009-04-06 15:52 ` John Rakestraw
  2009-04-06 19:50 ` Matthew Lundin
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Francesco Pizzolante @ 2009-04-06 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing-list-org-mode

Hi,

I'm discovering org-mode and it's really great.

I'm still wondering how to do several things... like this one:
regarding a headline, it is possible to clock the amount of time
you worked on it. But sometimes, you also need to record some
other information related to that time block, for example, the
distance you had to drive to go to the meeting or some costs
(like parking costs) that you had to pay for it.

Example:

* Project1
  ** Meetings
     :LOGBOOK:
     CLOCK: [2009-03-02 mon. 10:00]--[2009-03-02 mon. 12:30] =>  2:30
            ----> 15 kilometers
     CLOCK: [2009-03-03 tue. 09:30]--[2009-03-03 tue. 12:30] =>  3:00
            ----> 15 kilometers + 12,00 EUR
     :END:

Is there a way to record this information? If not, what is your
advice?

Of course, it would be nice to get a final table with everything
summed up: total work, total kilometers, total fees.

Thanks in advance for your help.

F.


_______________________________________________
Emacs-orgmode mailing list
Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
Emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Record extra info for each time block
  2009-04-06 14:54 Record extra info for each time block Francesco Pizzolante
@ 2009-04-06 15:52 ` John Rakestraw
  2009-04-06 19:50 ` Matthew Lundin
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: John Rakestraw @ 2009-04-06 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi --

> I'm still wondering how to do several things... like this one:
> regarding a headline, it is possible to clock the amount of time
> you worked on it. But sometimes, you also need to record some
> other information related to that time block, for example, the
> distance you had to drive to go to the meeting or some costs
> (like parking costs) that you had to pay for it.
> 
> Example:
> 
> * Project1
>   ** Meetings
>      :LOGBOOK:
>      CLOCK: [2009-03-02 mon. 10:00]--[2009-03-02 mon. 12:30] =>  2:30
>             ----> 15 kilometers
>      CLOCK: [2009-03-03 tue. 09:30]--[2009-03-03 tue. 12:30] =>  3:00
>             ----> 15 kilometers + 12,00 EUR
>      :END:
> 
> Is there a way to record this information? If not, what is your
> advice?

Check out the variable "org-log-note-clock-out". Set it to t and it
you'll be asked for a note each time you clock out. The note is
recorded just after the time block.

-- 
John Rakestraw

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Record extra info for each time block
  2009-04-06 14:54 Record extra info for each time block Francesco Pizzolante
  2009-04-06 15:52 ` John Rakestraw
@ 2009-04-06 19:50 ` Matthew Lundin
       [not found]   ` <m2k55xmuid.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-04-06 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francesco Pizzolante; +Cc: mailing-list-org-mode

Hi Francesco

"Francesco Pizzolante" <fpz@missioncriticalit.com> writes:

> But sometimes, you also need to record some other information related
> to that time block, for example, the distance you had to drive to go
> to the meeting or some costs (like parking costs) that you had to pay
> for it.
>
> Example:
>
> * Project1
>   ** Meetings
>      :LOGBOOK:
>      CLOCK: [2009-03-02 mon. 10:00]--[2009-03-02 mon. 12:30] =>  2:30
>             ----> 15 kilometers
>      CLOCK: [2009-03-03 tue. 09:30]--[2009-03-03 tue. 12:30] =>  3:00
>             ----> 15 kilometers + 12,00 EUR
>      :END:
>
> Is there a way to record this information? If not, what is your
> advice?
>

You could also record this information as properties. E.g.,

,----
| * Meetings
|   :PROPERTIES:
|   :COLUMNS:  %30ITEM %CLOCKSUM %10distance{+} %10expenses{$}
|   :END:
| ** Meeting One
|    :LOGBOOK:
|    CLOCK: [2009-04-06 Mon 13:25]--[2009-04-06 Mon 14:37] =>  1:12
|    :END:
|    :PROPERTIES:
|    :distance: 15
|    :expenses: 13.45
|    :END:
| 
| ** Meeting Two
|    :LOGBOOK:
|    CLOCK: [2009-04-06 Mon 16:41]--[2009-04-06 Mon 18:41] =>  2:00
|    :END:
|    :PROPERTIES:
|    :distance: 28
|    :expenses: 22.31
|    :END:
| 
`----

> Of course, it would be nice to get a final table with everything
> summed up: total work, total kilometers, total fees.

If you add a column line (as in the example above) you can use column
view (C-c C-x C-c) to get a nice overview with everything summed up in the top
heading. Or you could capture the data in a table (C-x C-c i). E.g.,

,----
| ** Summary 
| #+BEGIN: columnview :hlines 1 :id local
| | ITEM           | CLOCKSUM | distance | expenses |
| |----------------+----------+----------+----------|
| | * Meetings     |     3:12 |       43 |    35.76 |
| | ** Meeting One |     1:12 |       15 |    13.45 |
| | ** Meeting Two |     2:00 |       28 |    22.31 |
| #+END:
`----

The manual has a lot of great info on setting properties.

- Matt

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Record extra info for each time block
       [not found]   ` <m2k55xmuid.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-04-07  9:54     ` Francesco Pizzolante
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Francesco Pizzolante @ 2009-04-07  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing-list-org-mode

Hi Matthew,

First of all, thanks for your quick answer.

>> But sometimes, you also need to record some other information related
>> to that time block, for example, the distance you had to drive to go
>> to the meeting or some costs (like parking costs) that you had to pay
>> for it.
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> * Project1
>>   ** Meetings
>>      :LOGBOOK:
>>      CLOCK: [2009-03-02 mon. 10:00]--[2009-03-02 mon. 12:30] =>  2:30
>>             ----> 15 kilometers
>>      CLOCK: [2009-03-03 tue. 09:30]--[2009-03-03 tue. 12:30] =>  3:00
>>             ----> 15 kilometers + 12,00 EUR
>>      :END:
>>
>> Is there a way to record this information? If not, what is your
>> advice?
>>
>
> You could also record this information as properties. E.g.,
>
> ,----
> | * Meetings
> |   :PROPERTIES:
> |   :COLUMNS:  %30ITEM %CLOCKSUM %10distance{+} %10expenses{$}
> |   :END:
> | ** Meeting One
> |    :LOGBOOK:
> |    CLOCK: [2009-04-06 Mon 13:25]--[2009-04-06 Mon 14:37] =>  1:12
> |    :END:
> |    :PROPERTIES:
> |    :distance: 15
> |    :expenses: 13.45
> |    :END:
> | 
> | ** Meeting Two
> |    :LOGBOOK:
> |    CLOCK: [2009-04-06 Mon 16:41]--[2009-04-06 Mon 18:41] =>  2:00
> |    :END:
> |    :PROPERTIES:
> |    :distance: 28
> |    :expenses: 22.31
> |    :END:
> | 
> `----
>
>> Of course, it would be nice to get a final table with everything
>> summed up: total work, total kilometers, total fees.
>
> If you add a column line (as in the example above) you can use column
> view (C-c C-x C-c) to get a nice overview with everything summed up in the top
> heading. Or you could capture the data in a table (C-x C-c i). E.g.,
>
> ,----
> | ** Summary 
> | #+BEGIN: columnview :hlines 1 :id local
> | | ITEM           | CLOCKSUM | distance | expenses |
> | |----------------+----------+----------+----------|
> | | * Meetings     |     3:12 |       43 |    35.76 |
> | | ** Meeting One |     1:12 |       15 |    13.45 |
> | | ** Meeting Two |     2:00 |       28 |    22.31 |
> | #+END:
> `----

Your solution is nice and works but it doesn't fit all my needs:
the distance and expense information are recorded for a headline
but it is not related to a specific "time block".

When I think a little further, I realize that it would be great
to attach information to "time blocks".

Here's, in more details, what I'd like to have. The idea is to
generate 2 views from the same set of information: the first
view would be a "per project" view and a second one, a "per day"
view.

Let's take an example.

Let's assume that we have the following headline view (with new
attributes associated to each time block, in an imaginary syntax):

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

* Work for April 2009
*** Project 1
    This is project 1.
***** Task 11
      This is task 11.
      :LOGBOOK:
      CLOCK: [2009-04-06 mon. 10:00]--[2009-04-06 mon. 12:30] =>  2:30 + expense 10.00
      CLOCK: [2009-04-06 mon. 13:00]--[2009-04-06 mon. 14:00] =>  1:00 + distance 15
      :END:
***** Task 12
      This is task 12.
      :LOGBOOK:
      CLOCK: [2009-04-06 mon. 08:00]--[2009-04-06 mon. 10:00] =>  2:00 + distance 5
      :END:

*** Project 2
    This is project 2.
***** Task 21
      This is task 21.
      :LOGBOOK:
      CLOCK: [2009-04-06 mon. 15:00]--[2009-04-06 mon. 17:00] =>  2:00
      :END:
***** Task 22
      This is task 22.
      :LOGBOOK:
      CLOCK: [2009-04-06 mon. 14:00]--[2009-04-06 mon. 15:00] =>  1:00
      :END:

*** Project3
    This is project 3.
***** Task 31
      This is task 31.
      :LOGBOOK:
      CLOCK: [2009-04-07 tue. 08:00]--[2009-04-07 tue. 11:30] =>  3:30 + expense 10.00 + distance 5
      :END:

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

This project view is very important as it is the main view for
time clocking on a per project basis.

From this single view, I would like to be able to generate 2
kinds of exportable tables (in LaTex or other documents -- not
an overlay solution like column view).

The first one would be a summary per project for April 2009 and
would be mainly used by project managers.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

|-----------------------+-------+----------+----------|
| Description           |  Work | Distance | Expenses |
|-----------------------+-------+----------+----------|
| * Work for April 2009 | 12:00 |       25 |    20.00 |
|-----------------------+-------+----------+----------|
| *** Project 1         |  5:30 |       20 |    10.00 |
| ***** Task 11         |  3:30 |       15 |    10.00 |
| ***** Task 12         |  2:00 |        5 |          |
| *** Project 2         |  3:00 |          |          |
| ***** Task 21         |  2:00 |          |          |
| ***** Task 22         |  1:00 |          |          |
| *** Project 3         |  3:30 |        5 |    10.00 |
| ***** Task 31         |  3:30 |        5 |    10.00 |
|                       |       |          |          |
|-----------------------+-------+----------+----------|

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The second one would be a summary per day for the same month and
would be mainly used by a HR manager:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

|------------+-------+-------+----------+----------|
|       Date |  Work | Extra | Distance | Expenses |
|------------+-------+-------+----------+----------|
|      Total | 12:00 | -4:00 |       25 |    20.00 |
|------------+-------+-------+----------+----------|
| 2009-04-06 |  8:30 |  0:30 |       20 |    10.00 |
| 2009-04-07 |  3:30 | -4:30 |        5 |    10.00 |
|------------+-------+-------+----------+----------|

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Note, in this view, the "Extra" column where we would record the
extra (or work per day.

For the moment, I'm able to generate the first kind of table
thanks to a dynamic block which captures a column view. But I'm
not able to generate the second one.

Do you have any suggestions on how to achieve that?

Thanks,
Francesco


_______________________________________________
Emacs-orgmode mailing list
Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
Emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2009-04-07  9:54 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2009-04-06 14:54 Record extra info for each time block Francesco Pizzolante
2009-04-06 15:52 ` John Rakestraw
2009-04-06 19:50 ` Matthew Lundin
     [not found]   ` <m2k55xmuid.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
2009-04-07  9:54     ` Francesco Pizzolante

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).