* capturing and filling
@ 2023-04-07  3:29 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2023-04-07  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

when i use the superb org-capture extension in firefox, there is only
one icon, so any decisions about formatting have to be
one-size-fits-all at capture time in elisp.  here are my ideas, but
not implementation.  the decisions i'd make are:

1.  fill long unfilled paragraphs vs. preserve verbatim lines

if i capture code, i don't want it filled.  if i capture prose that is
unfilled, as in a long line, i probably want it filled at capture.

heuristic: loop through every line.  if the line qualifies by some
sub-heuristic, and is more than 2x (window-width), then fill at
capture time, but only that line, not contiguous ones that do not meet
the sub-heuristic (different prefix etc.).

what does one do to loop through paragraphs?  is this a reasonable
heuristic?  anybody tried it?  this is all too much for me atm but i
thought i'd pu out the idea in case anybody has thought of these
things.

alternative: figure out and use an emacs minor mode that makes
unfilled paragraphs look like filled ones, including fill-column,
filling word boundary heuristics, fill prefix, etc.  this would still
interfere with diff and such.  it might be best reserved for this
purpose rather than ridding me of my m-q filling habit.  that would be
drastic.

2.  region on org heading vs. in body

heuristic: if selected text is zero length, i.e. nonexistent, then
link on org heading.  if it is short, "text -- [link]".  if long, then
i'm not sure which i like better: short part of first line on header
and then rest and then "-- [link]", or link on header.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com