* Help using org-entities or arternatives.
@ 2023-05-09 11:32 Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2023-05-09 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Hi

Is it possible to, each time I write "...." to be subsituted by "[...]" ?

I can't do it using abbrev, and I don't know how to do it using
org-entities.

I use it to yank quotes, for example, I write:

    "Like other editors, Emacs has commands to search for occurrences of
    a string. ....There are also commands that do the same thing, but
    search for patterns instead of fixed strings."

And I would like to get, automatically:

    "Like other editors, Emacs has commands to search for occurrences of
    a string. [...] There are also commands that do the same thing, but
    search for patterns instead of fixed strings."

Best regards

* Re: Help using org-entities or arternatives.
@ 2023-05-09 11:48 ` Ruijie Yu via General discussions about Org-mode.
From: Ruijie Yu via General discussions about Org-mode. @ 2023-05-09 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ypo <ypuntot@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> Is it possible to, each time I write "...." to be subsituted by "[...]" ?
>
> I can't do it using abbrev, and I don't know how to do it using org-entities.
>
> I use it to yank quotes, for example, I write:
>
>  "Like other editors, Emacs has commands to search for occurrences of a string. ....There are also commands that do the same thing, but
>  search for patterns instead of fixed strings."
>
> And I would like to get, automatically:
>
>  "Like other editors, Emacs has commands to search for occurrences of a string. [...] There are also commands that do the same thing, but
>  search for patterns instead of fixed strings."
>
> Best regards

Not necessarily Org-specific, but here's my idea, untested:

```emacs-lisp
(defun my/yank-subst-ellipses ()
  (interactive)
  (let* ((start (point-marker))
         (_ (insert (current-kill 0)))
         (end (point-marker)))
    (save-match-data
      ;; Play around with this regexp
      (while (re-search-forward (rx "...") end t)
        ;; And this replacement text
        (replace-match "[...]")))))
```

Then, since Org sets C-y as `org-yank', make an advice with it.  I am
not confident in this portion at all, but here goes nothing ;)

```emacs-lisp
(require 'cl-lib)
(advice-add
 #'org-yank :around
 (lambda (org-yank &optional arg)
   (cl-letf (((symbol-function 'yank)
              (symbol-function 'my/yank-subst/ellipses)))
     (funcall org-yank arg))))
```

--
Best,

RY

* Re: Help using org-entities or arternatives.
@ 2023-05-13 16:43   ` Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2023-05-13 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruijie Yu; +Cc: emacs-orgmode