* orgmode as a transcription tool?
@ 2015-02-03  5:23 Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2015-02-03  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Today I was looking for a tool to ease my transcription of a recording
of a half-hour appointment with a doctor.

Googling led to https://transcribe.wreally.com/ for the job - it really
works well, and it seems like something orgmode should be able to do.

The idea is to unite a media player with a text-editing window.  Certain
commands issued *while in the text window* will operate on the media
player: pause, go back or ahead 2 seconds, slow down, speed up, etc.
Uniting the two eliminates constant switching between a media player and
a text editor - it's all integrated and controllable without switching
windows.

From https://transcribe.wreally.com/guide/how-to-transcribe-audio-interviews-faster/
> The advantage of using Transcribe over a conventional text editor +
> media player approach is that you don’t have to lift your hands-off
> the keyboard at all. You can control the audio with your keyboard
> while simultaneously typing into the built-in text editor.

Could orgmode do something like that?

Cheers -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: orgmode as a transcription tool?
@ 2015-02-03  5:27 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2015-02-03  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Feb 02, 2015 at 11:23:25PM -0600, Bill White wrote:
> Today I was looking for a tool to ease my transcription of a recording
> of a half-hour appointment with a doctor.
>
> Googling led to https://transcribe.wreally.com/ for the job - it really
> works well, and it seems like something orgmode should be able to do.
>
> The idea is to unite a media player with a text-editing window.  Certain
> commands issued *while in the text window* will operate on the media
> player: pause, go back or ahead 2 seconds, slow down, speed up, etc.
> Uniting the two eliminates constant switching between a media player and
> a text editor - it's all integrated and controllable without switching
> windows.
>
> From https://transcribe.wreally.com/guide/how-to-transcribe-audio-interviews-faster/
> > The advantage of using Transcribe over a conventional text editor +
> > media player approach is that you don’t have to lift your hands-off
> > the keyboard at all. You can control the audio with your keyboard
> > while simultaneously typing into the built-in text editor.
>
> Could orgmode do something like that?

I don't see why not. Emacs could, or perhaps your audio program or
window manager. I use xbindkeys and a few commands to control mpd
(music daemon) and skip tracks, change volume, etc. Emacs has
frontends to the same.

* Re: orgmode as a transcription tool?
@ 2015-02-03  5:45   ` Basile (The Flammable Project)
From: Basile (The Flammable Project) @ 2015-02-03  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org list

You should have a look at EMMS. It's suite easy to setup on linux. But if
you are using a MS Windows OS, it does requiert more settings. But
everything you light ne controlable within Emacs.

Regards,

Basile

@ 2015-02-07 16:38     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-02-07 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org list

On 2015-02-03, at 06:45, Basile (The Flammable Project) <flammable.project@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> You should have a look at EMMS. It's suite easy to setup on linux. But if
> you are using a MS Windows OS, it does requiert more settings. But
> everything you light ne controlable within Emacs.

FWIW, here's my config (and two helper functions to make seeking a bit
easier):

http://mbork.pl/2015-02-07_Emms_and_transcripts

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski               This email was proudly sent
http://mbork.pl                from my Emacs.

* Re: orgmode as a transcription tool?
@ 2015-02-11  5:42       ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2015-02-11  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat Feb 07 2015 at 10:38, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:

> On 2015-02-03, at 06:45, Basile (The Flammable Project) <flammable.project@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> You should have a look at EMMS. It's suite easy to setup on linux. But if
>> you are using a MS Windows OS, it does requiert more settings. But
>> everything you light ne controlable within Emacs.
>
> FWIW, here's my config (and two helper functions to make seeking a bit
> easier):
>
> http://mbork.pl/2015-02-07_Emms_and_transcripts

This is great - many thanks!  I'm using it now, taking a break during
crosstalk in a recorded meeting.  I, too, had problems with skipping
backwards - your solution worked for me.  And the scale of the skipping
is off for me, too - a setting of -10 will skip back about 2 or 3
seconds.

I'm doing this on osx with homebrew's build of head-branch emacs and the
homebrew mplayer, and it works amazingly well.

Cheers -

bw