* How remove time from date-time stamp
@ 2019-04-08 12:36 Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2019-04-08 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Dear list,

looking for advice on a seemingly simple matter.

When in agenda view I can use C-k to kill an entry
or S-right to promote to next day etc.

What I need really often in my workflow is the
promotion to another day, but without the time part of the time stamp
I assigned for today.
Best would be some command like S-right , maybe C-u S-right,
to move the entry one or more days without the time information.

I seem to remember there was a discussion on this list about
such a feature but I'm unable to find it.

But maybe it's like always: the feature exists already somewherer in
org?!

What do you use to efficiently shift an entry, but strip its time?

Any help appreciated

Detlef

--
The biggest difference between time and space is that you can’t reuse
time. (Merrick Furst)

* Re: How remove time from date-time stamp
@ 2019-04-08 21:56 ` Thomas Plass
From: Thomas Plass @ 2019-04-08 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Detlef Steuer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Detlef,

:
: What I need really often in my workflow is the
: promotion to another day, but without the time part of the time stamp

This type of remote edit won't be possible without rewriting Org code.

However, if you want to directly change timestamps in the buffer they
live (not: an agenda view), then S-right/left/up/down can call a hook
function that does what you're trying to achieve.

Thomas

* Re: How remove time from date-time stamp
@ 2019-04-09  5:27   ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2019-04-09  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Plass; +Cc: Detlef Steuer, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Monday,  8 Apr 2019 at 23:56, Thomas Plass wrote:
> However, if you want to directly change timestamps in the buffer they
> live (not: an agenda view), then S-right/left/up/down can call a hook
> function that does what you're trying to achieve.

Or simply C-d (or DEL or BS) 5 times?  "It's all text."

--
Professor Eric S Fraga, http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucecesf

* Re: [solved] How remove time from date-time stamp
@ 2019-04-09  7:22     ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2019-04-09  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fraga, Eric; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Thomas Plass

Am Tue, 9 Apr 2019 05:27:50 +0000
schrieb "Fraga, Eric" <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>:

> On Monday,  8 Apr 2019 at 23:56, Thomas Plass wrote:
> > However, if you want to directly change timestamps in the buffer
> > they live (not: an agenda view), then S-right/left/up/down can call
> > a hook function that does what you're trying to achieve.
>
> Or simply C-d (or DEL or BS) 5 times?  "It's all text."

Well, of course it's all text. But 5 times often is not enough,
cause there are start and end times.

Nevertheless that hint gave me the right direction:

In the agenda hit return on an entry.
C-c . opens the interface to alter the timestamp.
C-a C-k (or C-0 C-k) deletes the time part.
Done! Easy enough.

Thank you!

If there were a solution without leaving agenda view, that would be
another big improvement (for me).

Detlef

--

@ 2019-04-09  9:17       ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2019-04-09  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Detlef Steuer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tuesday,  9 Apr 2019 at 09:22, Detlef Steuer wrote:
> Well, of course it's all text. But 5 times often is not enough,
> cause there are start and end times.
>
> Nevertheless that hint gave me the right direction:

Great.  I find that hint quite useful for me and have to keep reminding
myself.  The fancier org gets, the easier it is to forget this such
fundamental aspect which distinguishes it from most other tools.
--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.2.2-290-g300f15