From: David Frascone <dave@frascone.com>
To: Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Linking Mail ?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:09:08 -0600	[thread overview]

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

> David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> writes:
>
> > I finally got gnus working with my gmail account.  (I didn't want to
> > try my work account first, because too many failed logins will lock it,
> > and I have to call IT . . . Pain in the . . )
> > But, in a nutshell, it is simply WAY too slow.
>
> Could you explain what was slow? I find Gnus to be as fast as any mail
> reader I've used, but it all depends on how one sets it up and whether
> one uses other processes to fetch mail:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusSpeed

It's slow because I use nnimap :)

Maybe I don't need to.  I think I need nnimap so I can check mail with my
phone too.  But, perhaps I am mistaken.  Do any of you use gnus & another
device to read mail, when you're not at your computer?  If so, how do you
handle things?

> > I don't mind a command line mail, though I prefer a gui with nice
> > keyboard shutcuts.  I used mutt for many, many years . . . . but, gnus
> > is not mutt.  I don't think an e-macs mail reader will really work for
> > links,
>
> I do not understand what you mean here.

I was simply saying that I was not biased away from gnus because it wasn't
pretty.  In fact, I'm still willing to give it a shot.  Even if IMAP isn't
the best solution, I can always work out something with fetchmail /
procmail, but, I still need a way to be able to read / check e-mail on my
phone, even if it has already been gathered by fetchmail.  I used to love
the way Mail.app could download mail, but still leave it on the server for
some time . . that could be a solution, since I'm sure fetchmail can do that
too . . .

-Dave