On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Matt Lundin wrote: > David Frascone writes: > > > I finally got gnus working with my gmail account. (I didn't want to > > try my work account first, because too many failed logins will lock it, > > and I have to call IT . . . Pain in the . . ) > > But, in a nutshell, it is simply WAY too slow. > > Could you explain what was slow? I find Gnus to be as fast as any mail > reader I've used, but it all depends on how one sets it up and whether > one uses other processes to fetch mail: > > http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusSpeed > It's slow because I use nnimap :) Maybe I don't need to. I think I need nnimap so I can check mail with my phone too. But, perhaps I am mistaken. Do any of you use gnus & another device to read mail, when you're not at your computer? If so, how do you handle things? > > > I don't mind a command line mail, though I prefer a gui with nice > > keyboard shutcuts. I used mutt for many, many years . . . . but, gnus > > is not mutt. I don't think an e-macs mail reader will really work for > > links, > > I do not understand what you mean here. > > I was simply saying that I was not biased away from gnus because it wasn't pretty. In fact, I'm still willing to give it a shot. Even if IMAP isn't the best solution, I can always work out something with fetchmail / procmail, but, I still need a way to be able to read / check e-mail on my phone, even if it has already been gathered by fetchmail. I used to love the way Mail.app could download mail, but still leave it on the server for some time . . that could be a solution, since I'm sure fetchmail can do that too . . . -Dave