* Showing todos with inherited tags in agenda views
@ 2008-08-22  0:43 Robert Goldman
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert Goldman @ 2008-08-22  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I hope that this isn't too much of an FAQ, but I searched the mailing
list and couldn't find an answer (although I could find the question
being asked):

Is it possible to tailor the agenda view so that when it displays the
TODO items it shows those todo items with their *inherited* tags?

My display seems to show only the tags directly applied to the items.
This isn't so great for me, since I put my TODO items in multiple files,
one for each project, and put at the * Tasks level in those files a tag
corresponding to the project.  I'd really like to see those tags in the
agenda view, so I know what project the TODOs belong to.

Many thanks,

* Re: Showing todos with inherited tags in agenda views
@ 2008-08-22 13:22 ` Manuel Hermenegildo
From: Manuel Hermenegildo @ 2008-08-22 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goldman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

 > Is it possible to tailor the agenda view so that when it displays the
 > TODO items it shows those todo items with their *inherited* tags?
 >
 > My display seems to show only the tags directly applied to the items.
 > This isn't so great for me, since I put my TODO items in multiple files,
 > one for each project, and put at the * Tasks level in those files a tag
 > corresponding to the project.  I'd really like to see those tags in the
 > agenda view, so I know what project the TODOs belong to.

A couple of hints here (assuming like you say that you use a file for
each project):

- You can use #+FILETAGS: to set a file-global tag that will be
  inherited by the whole file, so that you do not need to put it in
  each * task level.

- An alternative to using tags is to use #+CATEGORY: (or simply the
  name of the file) to set the overall category to the project name
  and it will appear to the left of all agenda entries.

Having said this, being able to show all inherited tags would indeed
be nice.

Also, related to the recent questions of relatively slow speed when
building agendas that include entries based on inheritance, perhaps
precomputing and caching the inheritance relation might be of help. If
someone has time to look into this it would be really great.

Cheers --Manuel

 Manuel Hermenegildo                     |              Prof., C.S. Department
 Director, IMDEA-Software and CLIP Group |                T.U. of Madrid (UPM)
 http://www.cliplab.org/herme            | +34-91-336-7435 (W) -352-4819 (Fax)

* Re: Showing todos with inherited tags in agenda views
@ 2008-08-22 14:40 ` Denis Bueno
From: Denis Bueno @ 2008-08-22 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goldman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 18:43, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@real-time.com> wrote:
> I hope that this isn't too much of an FAQ, but I searched the mailing
> list and couldn't find an answer (although I could find the question
> being asked):
>
> Is it possible to tailor the agenda view so that when it displays the
> TODO items it shows those todo items with their *inherited* tags?

I actually wanted this at one point, because for each of my projects I
had a NEXT action, and in the agenda it would take me a moment to
figure out which NEXT action was associated to which project.  Using
the CATEGORY property one the top-level subtree entry for that project
gave me what I wanted---the name of the project listed on the line for
its next action.

I don't know exactly what your needs are, but I thought I'd mention it.

--
                                 Denis

* Re: Showing todos with inherited tags in agenda views
@ 2008-08-22 19:09 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-08-22 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goldman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@real-time.com> writes:

> I hope that this isn't too much of an FAQ, but I searched the mailing
> list and couldn't find an answer (although I could find the question
> being asked):
>
> Is it possible to tailor the agenda view so that when it displays the
> TODO items it shows those todo items with their *inherited* tags?
>
> My display seems to show only the tags directly applied to the items.
> This isn't so great for me, since I put my TODO items in multiple files,
> one for each project, and put at the * Tasks level in those files a tag
> corresponding to the project.  I'd really like to see those tags in the
> agenda view, so I know what project the TODOs belong to.

Hi Robert,

I use categories for this.  I have multiple org files (normally one per
project) but some files (like todo.org) are catch-all org files which
have multiple categories.

I set the category for a subtree using a property.

All of my project tasks are level 2 tasks so they have a level 1 parent
task for organizing things.  Such as

,----[ proj1.org ]
| * Support
|   :PROPERTIES:
|     :ARCHIVE: %s_archive::* Support
|     :CATEGORY: PROJ1
|   :END:
| ** TODO First Project
| ** TODO Second Project
`----

so all tasks in this project show up in the agenda in the 'PROJ1'
category.  You're free to set different categories for any subtree and I
find it very flexible.

This works great for me.

-Bernt

* Re: Re: Showing todos with inherited tags in agenda views
@ 2008-08-26  8:10   ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-08-26  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Robert Goldman, emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@real-time.com> writes:
>
>> I hope that this isn't too much of an FAQ, but I searched the mailing
>> list and couldn't find an answer (although I could find the question
>> being asked):
>>
>> Is it possible to tailor the agenda view so that when it displays the
>> TODO items it shows those todo items with their *inherited* tags?
>>
>> My display seems to show only the tags directly applied to the items.
>> This isn't so great for me, since I put my TODO items in multiple files,
>> one for each project, and put at the * Tasks level in those files a tag
>> corresponding to the project.  I'd really like to see those tags in the
>> agenda view, so I know what project the TODOs belong to.
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> I use categories for this.  I have multiple org files (normally one per
> project) but some files (like todo.org) are catch-all org files which
> have multiple categories.
>
> I set the category for a subtree using a property.
>
> All of my project tasks are level 2 tasks so they have a level 1 parent
> task for organizing things.  Such as
>
> ,----[ proj1.org ]
> | * Support
> |   :PROPERTIES:
> |     :ARCHIVE: %s_archive::* Support
> |     :CATEGORY: PROJ1
> |   :END:
> | ** TODO First Project
> | ** TODO Second Project
> `----
>
> so all tasks in this project show up in the agenda in the 'PROJ1'
> category.  You're free to set different categories for any subtree and I
> find it very flexible.
>
> This works great for me.

I use this too. I would ask that the category name in the left column of
the agenda view used its own face though. Is this possible?