* org-refile gets the level wrong
@ 2008-08-14 17:51 Trey Jackson
From: Trey Jackson @ 2008-08-14 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

All,

Just started using org (6.06b).

I've got .emacs customization:
(setq org-log-done t)
(setq org-directory "~/org/")
(setq org-agenda-files (list "~/org/orgTutorial.org"))
(setq org-default-notes-file "~/org/orgTutorial.org")
(setq org-return-follows-link t)
(setq org-blank-before-new-entry '((heading . t)
                                   (plain-list-item . nil)))

And I've got a file that looks like this:
,----------------
| #+STARTUP: showstars
| #+STARTUP: hidestars
| #+STARTUP: odd
| #+STARTUP: oddeven
|
| * first header
|
| * second header
| *** TODO thing to refile
`----------------

On the 'TODO' item I run M-x org-refile
and when prompted enter 'first header'

After refiling it looks like:

,----------------
| * first header
| ** TODO thing to refile
|
| * second header
`----------------

Note there are only two asterisks.  Is this expected behavior?  Or a bug?

thanks,

TJ

--
Trey Jackson
bigfaceworm@gmail.com

"Rule number one: don't inhale water."
-- Daniel Russell

* Re: org-refile gets the level wrong
@ 2008-08-16 15:14 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-08-16 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trey Jackson; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Trey Jackson <bigfaceworm@gmail.com> writes:

> Just started using org (6.06b).
>
> I've got .emacs customization:
> (setq org-log-done t)
> (setq org-directory "~/org/")
> (setq org-agenda-files (list "~/org/orgTutorial.org"))
> (setq org-default-notes-file "~/org/orgTutorial.org")
> (setq org-return-follows-link t)
> (setq org-blank-before-new-entry '((heading . t)
>                                    (plain-list-item . nil)))
>

> And I've got a file that looks like this:
> ,----------------
> | #+STARTUP: showstars
> | #+STARTUP: hidestars
> | #+STARTUP: odd
> | #+STARTUP: oddeven
> |
> | * first header
> |
> | * second header
> | *** TODO thing to refile
> `----------------
>
> On the 'TODO' item I run M-x org-refile
> and when prompted enter 'first header'
>
> After refiling it looks like:
>
> ,----------------
> | * first header
> | ** TODO thing to refile
> |
> | * second header
> `----------------
>
> Note there are only two asterisks.  Is this expected behavior?  Or a bug?

I think this is expected behaviour.  Your startup options are
conflicting.  You normally have only one of showstarts or hidestars
since their settings are mutually exclusive.  You also only have one of
odd or oddeven.  I think the last encountered setting wins so your
startup options are equivalent to

#+STARTUP: hidestars oddeven

-Bernt

* Re: org-refile gets the level wrong
@ 2008-08-18 20:29   ` Trey Jackson
From: Trey Jackson @ 2008-08-18 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt wrote:
 >I think this is expected behaviour.  Your startup options are
 >conflicting.  You normally have only one of showstarts or hidestars
 >since their settings are mutually exclusive.  You also only have one of
 >odd or oddeven.  I think the last encountered setting wins so your
 >startup options are equivalent to
 >
 >#+STARTUP: hidestars oddeven

Duh.

FWIW, I was blindly cut/pasting from the *info* pages, which says:
(section: 14.5 A cleaner outline view)

,----------------
|   2. _Hiding leading stars_
|      You can modify the display in such a way that all leading stars
|      become invisible.  To do this in a global way, configure the
|      variable `org-hide-leading-stars' or change this on a per-file
|      basis with
|
|           #+STARTUP: showstars
|           #+STARTUP: hidestars
`----------------

When I actually read it, it's obvious, but given the context, I think it'd
be better to have the docs read something like:

  2. _Hiding leading stars_
     You can modify the display in such a way that all leading stars
     become invisible.  To do this in a global way, configure the
     variable `org-hide-leading-stars' or add this line to top of the file:

          #+STARTUP: hidestars

     Note that the opposite behavior is selected with 'showstars'.

TJ

--
Trey Jackson
trey_jackson@mentor.com

"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer,
 for chaos and madness await thee at its end."
-- #2 of the Ten Commandments for C programmers

* Re: Re: org-refile gets the level wrong
@ 2008-09-03  9:37     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-03  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trey Jackson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode