From: pietru@caramail.com
To: Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com>
Subject: Org Capture Menu cannot be fully viewed - Results of testing C-n, C-p, C-v
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 21:02:06 +0100	[thread overview]

1. Capture Option Selection
===========================

C-n, C-p, C-v work well and one can go through the capture menu easily.

Below the capture buffer, I am seeing another buffer that is displaying events
from the mouse (triple-mouse-1, down-mouse 5, ...) and keyboard (down up up, ...)
that ends getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

It is the buffer in which the user  enters the option.  It does get
bigger than one line, finally taking up most of the frame.  And the
user can do nothing about that - that is you cannot drog the mouse
to resize it.  Not being able to resize the window can become a very
big bother when using org-capture.

2. Problem with %^{prompt|default|completion2|completion3...}

Consider the following prompt template.  When I select "a", one gets

------- org-carture --------
* 7 Via Appia and Catacombs

  Site:
  Investigation: %^{Investigation|...|Historic Background Research Site Evaluation or Testing|Systematic Survey Data Recovery or Excavation|Records Search or Inventory Checking|Site Stewardship Monitoring|Site Stabilization|Heritage Management|Environment Research|Reconnaissance or Survey|Methodology, Theory, or Synthesis|Collections Research|Consultation|Ethnographic Research|Research Design or Data Recovery Plan|Architectural Survey|Ethnohistoric Research|Ground Disturbance Monitoring|Geophysical Survey|Archaeological Overview|Bioarchaeological Research|Architectural Documentation|Remote Sensing}%?
-------- org-capture --------

If one has available the up and down arrows for traversing through the completion list, it is counter-productive
to show the full completion list for Investigation.  The situation becomes even more relevant when the completion
list is a long one.

  ("a" "Via Appia and Catacombs" entry
  (file "~/archaeol.org")

"Site: %^{Site|...|
      Domestic Structure or Architectural Complex|
      Resource Extraction or Production|
      Transportation Structure or Features|
      Funerary and Burial Structures or Features|
      Non-Domestic Structures|
      Archaeological Feature|
      Rock Art|
      Water-Related}\n

  Investigation: %^{Investigation|...|
  Historic Background Research Site Evaluation or Testing|
  Systematic Survey Data Recovery or Excavation|"
  Records Search or Inventory Checking|"
  Site Stewardship Monitoring|
  Site Stabilization|
  Heritage Management|
  Environment Research|
  Reconnaissance or Survey|
  Methodology, Theory, or Synthesis|
  Collections Research|
  Consultation|
  Ethnographic Research|
  Research Design or Data Recovery Plan|
  Architectural Survey|
  Ethnohistoric Research|
  Ground Disturbance Monitoring|
  Geophysical Survey|
  Archaeological Overview|
  Bioarchaeological Research|
  Architectural Documentation|
  Remote Sensing}%?\n"

3 Default Completion Prompt
===========================

When the default consists of a long completion string, the long default is printed together with
default itself.  It could be useful to identify the default, however it should not be permanently
printed next to the prompt "Investigation [Historic Background Research Site Evaluation or Testing]:"

------- org-capture -------
Investigation [Historic Background Research Site Evaluation or Testing]: Historic Background Research Site Evaluation or Testing [No Matches]
------- org-capture -------

This is the capture template

 ("a" "Via Appia and Catacombs" entry
  (file "~/02histr/gadmin/archaeol/archaeol.rcl.org")
  "Investigation: %^{Investigation|Historic Background Research Site Evaluation or Testing|
  Systematic Survey Data Recovery or Excavation|Systematic Survey Data Recovery or Excavation|
  Records Search or Inventory Checking|Site Stewardship Monitoring|Site Stabilization|
  Heritage Management|Environment Research|Reconnaissance or Survey|Methodology, Theory, or Synthesis|
  Collections Research|Consultation|Ethnographic Research|Research Design or Data Recovery Plan|
  Architectural Survey|Ethnohistoric Research|Ground Disturbance Monitoring|Geophysical Survey|
  Archaeological Overview|Bioarchaeological Research|Architectural Documentation|Remote Sensing}%?\n") )