* Bug? Link to network file/dir does not work
@ 2008-03-28 15:55 Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-03-28 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

On my Windows machine, I tried to access a link like this from my org file:

file://host/dir/file_name

It does not work. The error message says:
"ShellExecute failed: The system cannot find the file specified.^M"
(Note the "^M" at the end)

I also tried the back slash version:
file:\\host\dir\file_name

Same result.

On a Linux machine, the above does not work either, but the behavior is
different. Emacs will just create a buffer with a path
"/host/dir/file_name" on the local machine.

I am using Org 5.23a on Emacs 22.2 (just upgraded :-))

Thanks for looking into this.

Wanrong

* Re: Bug? Link to network file/dir does not work
@ 2008-03-28 16:14 ` Thomas Baumann
From: Thomas Baumann @ 2008-03-28 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Wanrong Lin <wanrong.lin@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On my Windows machine, I tried to access a link like this from my org file:
>
> file://host/dir/file_name

shouldn't that be

file://host:/dir/file_name

note the second colon after host.

Thomas

* Re: Re: Bug? Link to network file/dir does not work
@ 2008-03-28 17:18   ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-03-28 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thomas Baumann wrote:
> Wanrong Lin <wanrong.lin@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> On my Windows machine, I tried to access a link like this from my org file:
>>
>> file://host/dir/file_name
>>

> shouldn't that be
>
> file://host:/dir/file_name
>
> note the second colon after host.
>
> Thomas

Tried that (on windows), does not work either. The error message is:
"No such file:  file://host:/dir/file_name"

I thought ideally whatever file path that is acceptable by the OS should
be usable in org mode.

Wanrong

* Re: Re: Bug? Link to network file/dir does not work
@ 2008-03-28 17:45     ` Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2008-03-28 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Wanrong Lin <wanrong.lin@gmail.com> writes:

> Thomas Baumann wrote:
>> Wanrong Lin <wanrong.lin@gmail.com> writes:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> On my Windows machine, I tried to access a link like this from my org file:
>>>
>>> file://host/dir/file_name
>>>

>> shouldn't that be
>>
>> file://host:/dir/file_name
>>
>> note the second colon after host.
>>
>> Thomas
>>

> Tried that (on windows), does not work either. The error message is:
> "No such file:  file://host:/dir/file_name"
>
> I thought ideally whatever file path that is acceptable by the OS
> should be usable in org mode.

If tramp/ssh works for you, the following link definitely
works, at least for me.

file:///ssh:remote.host:path/to/the/file

Xiao-Yong
--
    c/*    __o/*
    <\     * (__

* Re: Re: Bug? Link to network file/dir does not work
@ 2008-03-28 18:22       ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-03-28 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> If tramp/ssh works for you, the following link definitely
> works, at least for me.
>
> file:///ssh:remote.host:path/to/the/file
>

> Xiao-Yong

Thanks. Good to know tramp links work, as I am sure I will need it sometime.

I have tried to use SSH/Tramp on Windows but the set-up is a challenge
(putty does not work as a "ssh" replacement, and Cygwin ssh does not
work either) . If you have a set up working on Windows, I would be glad
to hear about it.

But still, even with SSH/Tramp working, I still think ideally whatever
path that Windows file explorer accepts should work in org-mode too.
Emacs already does so. If on Windows you do "C-x C-f" on a path
"\\host\dir\file_name", there is no problem.

Wanrong