* Complex conversion of text to org table
@ 2017-03-12 15:14 Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2017-03-12 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Hi list

so im trying to use orgmode to collect food recepies. i have one issue
which is to convert text based ingridents list into org tables.

for example take this list

3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted
cooking spray

if i mark this as a region and issue
`org-table-create-or-convert-from-region` this is the result

|     3/4 | cup         | milk        |         |      |        |     |
  |         |
|       2 | tablespoons | white       | vinegar | (%or | better | yet |
lemon | juice%) |
|       1 | cup         | all-purpose | flour   |      |        |     |
  |         |
|       2 | tablespoons | white       | sugar   |      |        |     |
  |         |
|       1 | teaspoon    | baking      | powder  |      |        |     |
  |         |
|     1/2 | teaspoon    | baking      | soda    |      |        |     |
  |         |
|     1/2 | teaspoon    | salt        |         |      |        |     |
  |         |
|       1 | egg         |             |         |      |        |     |
  |         |
|       2 | tablespoons | butter,     | melted  |      |        |     |
  |         |
| cooking | spray       |             |         |      |        |     |
  |         |

as you can see it got the amount (1/2) and the unit (cup) right yet the
actual ingredients is cut into several columns

i dont really know how to deal with this. is there a more intelligent way
of auto directing the conversion to split it the correct way?

if not any suggestions on how to convert it in a better way? perhaps a
command to quick delete the separator (|) across all the column?

thx alot in advance

* Re: Complex conversion of text to org table
@ 2017-03-12 15:26 ` Vicente Vera
From: Vicente Vera @ 2017-03-12 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

Hello. In this case Org splits into columns everytime it sees a space, so
"baking soda" ends up in two columns. A brute force solution: replace the
spaces between words that shouldn't be put into separated columns with an
underscore:

1_cup all-purpose_flour

Convert it to an Org table and then do a quick M-x replace-string to
replace '_' with ' '.

@ 2017-03-12 15:35   ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2017-03-12 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vicente Vera; +Cc: org mode

Thx Vicente!

Thats a decent idea. can this be all wrapped in a function (i have zero
coding skills :)) ? i have hundreds of these tables to convert :)

best!

@ 2017-03-12 16:46     ` Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2017-03-12 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram, org mode

On 03/12/2017 11:35 AM, Xebar Saram wrote:
> Thx Vicente!
>
> Thats a decent idea. can this be all wrapped in a function (i have zero
> coding skills :)) ? i have hundreds of these tables to convert :)
>
> best!

You can try using commas to separate items.

List with commas inserted:

3/4 cup, milk
2 tablespoons, white vinegar
1 cup, all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons, white sugar
1 teaspoon, baking powder
1/2 teaspoon, baking soda
1/2 teaspoon, salt
1, egg
2 tablespoons, butter melted
, cooking spray

(Notice that I eliminated the comma in "butter, melted")

Resulting table:

| 3/4 cup       | milk              |
| 2 tablespoons | white vinegar     |
| 1 cup         | all-purpose flour |
| 2 tablespoons | white sugar       |
| 1 teaspoon    | baking powder     |
| 1/2 teaspoon  | baking soda       |
| 1/2 teaspoon  | salt              |
| 1             | egg               |
| 2 tablespoons | butter melted     |
|               | cooking spray     |

Scott Randby

@ 2017-03-12 16:51 ` Thierry Banel
From: Thierry Banel @ 2017-03-12 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Use a regex replacement. Basically you replace the 1st space with a
vertical pipe:

M-x query-replace-regexp
^\([^ ]+\)
|\1|
answer yes repeatedly,
then type TAB to align the table.

@ 2017-03-12 16:52     ` Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2017-03-12 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

On 03/12/2017 11:35 AM, Xebar Saram wrote:
> Thx Vicente!
>
> Thats a decent idea. can this be all wrapped in a function (i have zero
> coding skills :)) ? i have hundreds of these tables to convert :)
>
> best!

OR

@ 2017-03-14  0:56       ` Vicente Vera
From: Vicente Vera @ 2017-03-14  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Randby; +Cc: Xebar Saram, org mode

OK that's a nice trick. Very useful for CSV files. Thanks!

@ 2017-03-14 13:18         ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2017-03-14 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vicente Vera; +Cc: Xebar Saram, Scott Randby, org mode

See my solution here:
http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/31417/function-to-paste-text-as-a-orgmode-table/31425#31425

Vicente Vera writes:

> [...]
>> >         |     1/2 | teaspoon    | baking      | soda    |      |
>> >          |     |       |         |
>> >         |     1/2 | teaspoon    | salt        |         |      |
>> >          |     |       |         |
>> >         |       1 | egg         |             |         |      |
>> >          |     |       |         |
>> >         |       2 | tablespoons | butter,     | melted  |      |
>> >          |     |       |         |
>> >         | cooking | spray       |             |         |      |
>> >          |     |       |         |

>> >         as you can see it got the amount (1/2) and the unit (cup) right
>> >         yet the actual ingredients is cut into several columns
>> >
>> >         i dont really know how to deal with this. is there a more
>> >         intelligent way of auto directing the conversion to split it the
>> >         correct way?
>> >
>> >         if not any suggestions on how to convert it in a better way?
>> >         perhaps a command to quick delete the separator (|) across all

Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University