* HTML export problems
@ 2008-08-23 19:27 David O'Toole
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David O'Toole @ 2008-08-23 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

The first paragraph before any heading is exported, but without
surrounding P paragraph tags; the remaining paragraphs (whether before
other headings, or after those headings) all have P tags and this is
messing up the styling. I'm using org-version 6.06b.

#+OPTIONS skip:nil is on.

* Re: HTML export problems
@ 2008-08-23 20:17 ` Jesse Alama
From: Jesse Alama @ 2008-08-23 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David O'Toole <dto@gnu.org> writes:

> The first paragraph before any heading is exported, but without
> surrounding P paragraph tags; the remaining paragraphs (whether before
> other headings, or after those headings) all have P tags and this is
> messing up the styling. I'm using org-version 6.06b.
>
> #+OPTIONS skip:nil is on.

Perhaps surprisingly, that is valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional:

  <h1>Big Header</h1>

  Blah, blah.

I think that is malformed according to XHTML 1.1.

Jesse

--
Jesse Alama (alama@stanford.edu)

* Re: HTML export problems
@ 2008-08-23 20:35 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-08-23 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: [emacs-orgmode]

Hello David,

yes, there is no paragraph around it. Trying to be helpful, I can
only come up with an ugly temporary fix for this. I'm shure it will
be a temporary one only. It's a little JavaScript again that should
work in fairly modern browsers.

If you do not use org-info.js, build your head section this way:

------>8------>8------>8------>8------>8------>8------

<head>

/* <![CDATA[ */

function wrapTextBeforeFirstHeadline () {
   var b = document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0];
   var n = b.firstChild;
   alert(n.nodeType);
   var neu = n.cloneNode(true);
   var p = document.createElement("p");
   p.id = "text-before-first-headline";
   p.appendChild(neu);
   b.replaceChild(p, n);
};
/* ]]> */
</script>
</head>

This is the Text before the first headline.

------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------

If you use org-info.js, simply replace your local one with the version
attached. It will wrap the text before the first headline into a

element.

David O'Toole wrote:
> The first paragraph before any heading is exported, but without
> surrounding P paragraph tags; the remaining paragraphs (whether before
> other headings, or after those headings) all have P tags and this is
> messing up the styling. I'm using org-version 6.06b.
>
> #+OPTIONS skip:nil is on.

[-- Attachment #2: org-info.js.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 15083 bytes --]

* Re: Re: HTML export problems
@ 2008-08-23 21:36   ` David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2008-08-23 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Alama; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Specification conformance is beside the point, it is still a bug. We are
unable to properly style this first paragraph because it has no P tag,
and therefore the styles that apply to the P tag in our css don't work.

On Sat, 2008-08-23 at 13:17 -0700, Jesse Alama wrote:
> David O'Toole <dto@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > The first paragraph before any heading is exported, but without
> > surrounding P paragraph tags; the remaining paragraphs (whether before
> > other headings, or after those headings) all have P tags and this is
> > messing up the styling. I'm using org-version 6.06b.
> >
> > #+OPTIONS skip:nil is on.
>
> Perhaps surprisingly, that is valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional:
>
>   <h1>Big Header</h1>
>
>   Blah, blah.

> I think that is malformed according to XHTML 1.1.
>
> Jesse

* Re: Re: HTML export problems
@ 2008-08-23 22:22     ` Jesse Alama
From: Jesse Alama @ 2008-08-23 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David O'Toole; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I'm on your side: I agree that it's a bug either in org-mode or the
XHTML 1.0 Transitional specification (if not both).  I imagine it's
straightforward to fix the problem.  I mentioned standards because I
came across this problem in another context (not related to org-mode) .
I was working with some web pages that were valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional
documents, but transformation of them to another format proved to be
problematic for the same reason that you mention.

--

@ 2008-09-07 15:41 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-07 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fixed, thanks.