* from Android to org's calendar in a painless way?
@ 2013-08-28 12:37 Renato
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Renato @ 2013-08-28 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

* Re: from Android to org's calendar in a painless way?
@ 2013-08-28 13:00 ` Renato
From: Renato @ 2013-08-28 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

* Re: from Android to org's calendar in a painless way?
@ 2013-08-28 13:25   ` Renato
From: Renato @ 2013-08-28 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 15:00:48 +0200
Renato <rennabh@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hi, I like very much org's calendar and TODO system, but usually
> > when something new to put in the calendar pops up I'm away from my
> > computer.
> >
> > I know MobileOrg for Android, but I currently only use it to sync
> > things from the computer to the phone (i.e. I just use it to have
> > my .org files with me all the time, for consulting) - the other way
> > around I find clumsy, because I have to remember, when on the
> > computer, to open a specific file and refile entries.
> >
> > So, is there a painless way of adding events into my org-mode
> > calendar from my Android phone? By painless I mean as easy as
> > adding something into Android's built-in calendar, or as close to
> > that as possible
> >
> > Maybe passing through another app like google's calendar? Or maybe I
> > should just look deeper into MobileOrg (I'm using Dropbox right now
> > - I don't know if using WebDav or another method would ease
> > things) ?
> >
> > What's your setup?
> >
> > cheers,
> > renato
> >

> I just realized that from MobileOrg you can add only TODO entries, you
> can't put an active date on it (and thus it won't show in the android
> calendar). So that really doesn't work the way I'd like.
>
> Does something like IMAP exist for calendars? I allready have a VPS
> keeping all my mails and distributing them via IMAP, it'd be nice if I
> could add calendars in the same fashion
>
> renato

and this might be exactly what I wanted:

https://github.com/dengste/org-caldav

I'll have a go at it when I have some time these next days

cheers, sorry for lots of self-replies
renato

* Re: from Android to org's calendar in a painless way?
@ 2013-08-28 15:38 ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2013-08-28 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Renato <rennabh@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Renato:

> the other way around I find clumsy, because I have to remember, when
> on the computer, to open a specific file and refile entries.

This is how I do it:

     1. I have the file that I pulled to in my list of Agenda files so
        the appointments will show up immediately. This file is excluded
        in mobile push.

     2. I have an "Inbox" section in my daily agenda view listing all
        unfiled items include everything in the pull file. This way I
        can do bulk refiling too.

> So, is there a painless way of adding events into my org-mode calendar
> from my Android phone? By painless I mean as easy as adding something
> into Android's built-in calendar, or as close to that as possible

Yes, make sure "Synchronize with calendar". "Assimilate calendar
Entries" and "Delete on assimilation" are turned on in Mobileorg. You
can now just add appointment in your regular calendar program.

Charles

--
"All language designers are arrogant.  Goes with the territory..."
(By Larry Wall)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: from Android to org's calendar in a painless way?
@ 2013-08-28 15:43   ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2013-08-28 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Renato <rennabh@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Renato:

> I just realized that from MobileOrg you can add only TODO entries, you
> can't put an active date on it (and thus it won't show in the android
> calendar). So that really doesn't work the way I'd like.

Yes, you can, it just won't show up until you sync, pull, refile and
sync. Also, unless the bug is fixed, you can only put the timestamp in
the payload.

Charles

--
Linux: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.
(By komarimf@craft.camp.clarkson.edu, Mark Komarinski)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: from Android to org's calendar in a painless way?
@ 2013-08-28 15:44     ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2013-08-28 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Renato <rennabh@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Renato:

> and this might be exactly what I wanted:
>
> https://github.com/dengste/org-caldav
>
> I'll have a go at it when I have some time these next days

This won't solve your problem.

Charles

--
"Computers may be stupid, but they're always obedient. Well, almost always."

  -- Larry Wall (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: from Android to org's calendar in a painless way?
@ 2013-08-29  3:20 ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2013-08-29  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Renato <rennabh <at> gmail.com> writes:
> I know MobileOrg for Android, but I currently only use it to sync
> things from the computer to the phone (i.e. I just use it to have
> my .org files with me all the time, for consulting) - the other way
> around I find clumsy, because I have to remember, when on the computer,
> to open a specific file and refile entries.

Check your settings and verify that "Advanced capture" is enabled. (In the
most recent mobileorg version, this is under Settings > Synchronization.) This
shows you to add new nodes underneath existing nodes, so that org-mobile-pull
will put them under the right heading in emacs.

If the existing heading has no sub-headings, the way to add a new heading
under it is to tap+hold on the heading. Then you'll see options to view, edit
and add -- (+).

> I just realized that from MobileOrg you can add only TODO entries, you
> can't put an active date on it (and thus it won't show in the android
> calendar). So that really doesn't work the way I'd like.

Not true -- the menu key (in android 4, the three dots at top right) reveals
"Add tag," "Add scheduled," "Add deadline" and "Add timestamp." One quirk is
that these options aren't available if you're editing the "payload" (free text
belonging to the heading). This makes sense because properties like dates are
part of the payload too.

Unfortunately, new dated nodes in mobileorg don't appear in the calendar until
after you sync to the computer and then resync to android. I filed a bug
report about that. Also, calendar sync is not working on my Android 4 tablet
after the most recent OS update from Asus. I've filed a bug report about that
too, and asked on the mobileorg mailing list, but so far, no response. (This
surprises me -- usually the list is pretty responsive.)

> So, is there a painless way of adding events into my org-mode calendar
> from my Android phone? By painless I mean as easy as adding something
> into Android's built-in calendar, or as close to that as possible

Mobileorg is not quite *that* painless at it, but it generally works well
enough for my needs. Also, the latest mobileorg (0.9.13) has a dynamic agenda
feature, where it can present agenda-like views based on new nodes in the
phone without resyncing. I haven't figured out how to get that to make a "this
week at a glance" view, though.

hjh

hjh

* Re: from Android to org's calendar in a painless way?
@ 2013-08-29  3:43   ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2013-08-29  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

James Harkins < jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:

> Unfortunately, new dated nodes in mobileorg don't appear in the
> calendar until after you sync to the computer and then resync to
> android. I filed a bug report about that.

I find it a lot easier and natural to add items with active timestamps
in my calendar app and let Mobileorg assimilate it.

> Also, calendar sync is not working on my Android 4 tablet after the
> most recent OS update from Asus. I've filed a bug report about that
> too, and asked on the mobileorg mailing list, but so far, no
> response. (This surprises me -- usually the list is pretty
> responsive.)

Work find on my Nexus 7 with the latest Jelly Bean. I presume your
tablet does not use vanilla Android.

Charles

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: from Android to org's calendar in a painless way?
@ 2013-08-30  2:39     ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2013-08-30  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Charles Philip Chan writes:

> James Harkins writes:
> > Also, calendar sync is not working on my Android 4 tablet after the
> > most recent OS update from Asus. I've filed a bug report about that
> > too, and asked on the mobileorg mailing list, but so far, no
> > response. (This surprises me -- usually the list is pretty
> > responsive.)
>
> Work find on my Nexus 7 with the latest Jelly Bean. I presume your
> tablet does not use vanilla Android.

From https://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android/issues/409 --

~~
My tablet is an ASUS transformer pad TF300T.

Android 4.2.1
Kernel version 3.1.10-g890b05a android@Taurus #1 Thu Jul 11 17:55:00 CST
2013
Build number JOP40D.US_epad-10.6.1.27.1-20130711

Calendar app version 4.2.1-US_epad-10.6.1.27.1-20130711
~~

If you were asking if I've rooted my tablet, no, I haven't.

It might be worth it if you checked your build number, to see if you're on
the same base version (JOP40D) or earlier or later.

Probably should also move this to the mobileorg mailing list, as this isn't
strictly an org/emacs issue.

Thanks for confirming that isn't a universal problem.

hjh

* Re: from Android to org's calendar in a painless way?
@ 2013-08-30 21:03       ` Renato
From: Renato @ 2013-08-30 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Philip Chan; +Cc: James Harkins, Org-mode

* Re: from Android to org's calendar in a painless way?
@ 2013-09-01 14:20     ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2013-09-01 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@bell.net> writes:

> Yes, you can, it just won't show up until you sync, pull, refile and
> sync.

Do you mean that you need to get back to your emacs computer in order to
have an entry captured on the phone actually appear on the phone ?
I noticed that if you untick and tick the "Delete on assimilation"
option, all entries captured in MobileOrg are immediately added to the
android calendar.

I'm also not sure about the Assimilate calendar entries and its "Delete
on assimilation" option. Does it prevent the entry appearing twice in
the calendar : once for the entry added outside MobileOrg and once when
MobileOrg adds it to the calendar after having added it to the org
files ?

If
* I configure MobileOrg to "Synchronize with calendar", "Assimilate
  Calendar entries" and "Delete on assimilation"

* Add an event on the Android Calendar

* Synchronize from Mobile Org

Should I have the entry appear in both the Android Calendar and the
Capture node of MobileOrg ? And will it remain in the Android Calendar
after I've run org-mobile-pull and refiled it ?

Julien.