* tab visibility cycling doesn't work over putty/ssh with viper-mode enabled
@ 2010-05-20  2:42 Herbert Sitz
From: Herbert Sitz @ 2010-05-20  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm trying to run orgmode/emacs over an ssh connection with PuTTY.  Win7 client
and Ubuntu host.

With viper-mode enabled all I get is a bell when I click on tab to cycle the
visibility of a heading in viper's normal mode.

Shift-tab works okay, as does a tab key if I am in viper's insert mode (but of
course it merely inserts tab then rather than cycling visibility).

Tab cycling seems to work properly if viper-mode is disabled.

I'm new to emacs/orgmode (coming from vim) and to ssh sessions, stumped on this
tab key issue though I suspect it's nothing complicated.  Can someone tell me
how to get tab cycling working in my putty client when using viper-mode?  Thanks!

* Re: tab visibility cycling doesn't work over putty/ssh with viper-mode enabled
@ 2010-05-20  4:14 ` Herbert Sitz
From: Herbert Sitz @ 2010-05-20  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Herbert Sitz <hsitz <at> nwlink.com> writes:

> With viper-mode enabled all I get is a bell when I click on tab to cycle the
> visibility of a heading in viper's normal mode.
>
> Shift-tab works okay, as does a tab key if I am in viper's insert mode (but of
> course it merely inserts tab then rather than cycling visibility).
>
> Tab cycling seems to work properly if viper-mode is disabled.

It seems there are some other keys that don't work in PuTTY.  One of the most
obvious is CTRL-C, which I think works only if preceded by some other meta key.
 E.g., CTRL-X, CTRL-C works normally to quite emacs.  But when a sequence starts
with CTRL-C the bell goes off and no keypress is recognized.  This makes it
impossible to use keys to enter agenda view, which is accessed via CTRL-C,a.

I assume my setup is common enough (Win7 PuTTY client accessing openssh server
on Ubuntu 10.04) that someone has worked out these problems?  Thanks for any
tips.  -- Herb

* Re: Re: tab visibility cycling doesn't work over putty/ssh with viper-mode enabled
@ 2010-05-20 19:41   ` Jan Böcker
From: Jan Böcker @ 2010-05-20 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert Sitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 05/20/2010 06:14 AM, Herbert Sitz wrote:
> Herbert Sitz <hsitz <at> nwlink.com> writes:
>>
>> With viper-mode enabled all I get is a bell when I click on tab to cycle the
>> visibility of a heading in viper's normal mode.

Hi Herbert,

I could not reproduce this here (Ubuntu 10.04 host, Putty on Windows 7).
I have no experience with viper-mode and only know very basic vi
commands. When viper-mode asked me for  a user level, I specified 5.

Org-mode version 6.36trans (release_6.36.52.geec2)

Visibility cycling with TAB works both in command and insert mode.
I can also access the agenda using C-c a a.

Looks like putty is misconfigured. While quickly scanning through
putty's configuration menu, the only setting I noticed was "Connection
-> Data -> Terminal-type string", which is set to "xterm" here.

However, I did not modify the default values, so it should work out of
the box.

You can try logging in with putty, executing "sleep 5", and interrupting
that with C-c. If that does not work, the problem is definitely not
emacs related.

HTH, Jan

* Re: tab visibility cycling doesn't work over putty/ssh with viper-mode enabled
@ 2010-05-21 21:02     ` Herbert Sitz
From: Herbert Sitz @ 2010-05-21 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jan Böcker <jan.boecker <at> jboecker.de> writes:

>Visibility cycling with TAB works both in command and insert mode.
> I can also access the agenda using C-c a a.
>
>Looks like putty is misconfigured. While quickly
>scanning through
>putty's configuration menu, the only setting I
>noticed was "Connection
>-> Data -> Terminal-type string", which is
>set to "xterm" here.
>
>However, I did not modify the default values,
>so it should work out of
>the box.
>
>You can try logging in with putty, executing
>"sleep 5", and interrupting
>that with C-c. If that does not work,
>the problem is definitely not
>emacs related.
>
>HTH, Jan

Jan --

Thanks, but I still haven't solved this yet
and I don't think there's any
problem with PuTTY configuration.

However, my problems with TAB key and C-C appear
to be quite different, and only the TAB key one
appears to be unique to using PuTTY/ssh.

First, regarding C-c a not working to bring up
agenda-view, this problem exists on my
emacs instance in Ubuntu even when
using it directly, not through ssh.
Pressing C-c a gives error message
'C-c a is undefined', despite the fact that
agenda-view works fine when accessing it
through the menu system.  Frustrating,
but it has nothing to do with PuTTY.
(And PuTTY does send C-c properly to stop
the 'sleep 5' process in a bare terminal.)

Second, the problem with TAB key in viper-mode
does seem specific to PuTTY/ssh,
since it works fine when working directly.
This doesn't seem possible that it's
a PuTTY problem, since so far as I can tell
TAB works properly in all other
modes, and it works properly to cycle
visibility as soon as I turn viper-mode off.

Thanks for the suggestions though!
I'm wondering if you have any others?. . .

Regards,

Herb

* Re: tab visibility cycling doesn't work over putty/ssh with viper-mode enabled
@ 2010-05-22  4:42       ` Herbert Sitz
From: Herbert Sitz @ 2010-05-22  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Herbert Sitz <hsitz <at> nwlink.com> writes:
> First, regarding C-c a not working to bring up
> agenda-view, this problem exists on my
> emacs instance in Ubuntu even when
> using it directly, not through ssh.
> Pressing C-c a gives error message
> 'C-c a is undefined', despite the fact that

Sorry, the issue with 'C-c a' was stupid error on my part.  I had forgotten that
you have to put the 'C-c a' key definition in the .emacs file.

So the TAB problem with viper-mode is the only real problem I have.

@ 2010-05-22 11:46         ` Jan Böcker
From: Jan Böcker @ 2010-05-22 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert Sitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 05/21/2010 11:02 PM, Herbert Sitz wrote:
> Second, the problem with TAB key in viper-mode
> does seem specific to PuTTY/ssh,
> since it works fine when working directly.

When you say "working directly", I assume you use the GUI interface of
emacs. Maybe the problem is not PuTTY-related but caused by running
emacs in a tty. Try running "emacs -nw" in a terminal on the Ubuntu host
and check if you can reproduce the behaviour there.

- Jan