* Displaying column titles in column view
@ 2008-07-27 18:28 Steven E. Harris
From: Steven E. Harris @ 2008-07-27 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The section on Column Attributes in the org manual¹ mentions that one
can define a title for a column to be used as the "header
text". Following Egli Christian's example², I defined a column format in
a properties drawer as follows:

,----
| :COLUMNS: %40ITEM(Task) %Effort(Estimated Effort){+}
`----

If I make a tree of tasks and inclued an "Effort" property in each,
entering Column Mode behaves mostly as expected; I can edit the two
attributes for each of the tasks situated beneath that properties
drawer.

One thing I see in the images³ related to the aforementioned example is
a header across the top of the column view with the column titles as
defined in the format property above. No such header appears when I
enter Column Mode here.

Is there a special incantation to make the header visible?

Footnotes:
¹ http://orgmode.org/manual/Column-attributes.html
² http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/5107/focus=5134
³ http://cache.gmane.org//gmane/emacs/orgmode/5134-004.bin

--
Steven E. Harris

* Re: Displaying column titles in column view
@ 2008-07-27 21:24 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-07-27 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven E. Harris; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 27, 2008, at 11:28 AM, Steven E. Harris wrote:

> The section on Column Attributes in the org manual¹ mentions that one
> can define a title for a column to be used as the "header
> text". Following Egli Christian's example², I defined a column
> format in
> a properties drawer as follows:
>
> ,----
> | :COLUMNS: %40ITEM(Task) %Effort(Estimated Effort){+}
> `----
>
> If I make a tree of tasks and inclued an "Effort" property in each,
> entering Column Mode behaves mostly as expected; I can edit the two
> attributes for each of the tasks situated beneath that properties
> drawer.
>
> One thing I see in the images³ related to the aforementioned example
> is
> a header across the top of the column view with the column titles as
> defined in the format property above. No such header appears when I
> enter Column Mode here.
>
> Is there a special incantation to make the header visible?

No that should happen automatic.  What versions of Emacs and org-mode
are you using?

- Carsten

@ 2008-07-27 21:30   ` Steven E. Harris
From: Steven E. Harris @ 2008-07-27 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:

> What versions of Emacs and org-mode are you using?

XEmacs version 21.4.21 (Cygwin)
Org-mode version 6.06b

--

@ 2008-07-27 21:44   ` Steven E. Harris
From: Steven E. Harris @ 2008-07-27 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:

> No that should happen automatic.

Here's the complete document:

* Top
  :PROPERTIES:
  :COLUMNS:  %40ITEM(Task) %Effort(Estimated Effort){+}
  :END:
** First
   :PROPERTIES:
   :Effort:   2
   :END:
** Second
   :PROPERTIES:
   :Effort:   3
   :END:
** Third
   :PROPERTIES:
   :Effort:   40
   :END:

Pressing C-c C-x C-c, then `c', produces the following layout:

[-- Attachment #2: org-columns.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 14319 bytes --]

Note also the extra letter in the far-right column, which looks like the
first letter of each item.

--
Steven E. Harris

* Re: Re: Displaying column titles in column view
@ 2008-07-28  0:37     ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-07-28  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven E. Harris; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 3:14 AM, Steven E. Harris wrote:

  > Here's the complete document:
  >
  > * Top
  >  :PROPERTIES:
  >  :COLUMNS:  %40ITEM(Task) %Effort(Estimated Effort){+}
  >  :END:
  > ** First
  >   :PROPERTIES:
  >   :Effort:   2
  >   :END:
  > ** Second
  >   :PROPERTIES:
  >   :Effort:   3
  >   :END:
  > ** Third
  >   :PROPERTIES:
  >   :Effort:   40
  >   :END:
  >
  > Pressing C-c C-x C-c, then `c', produces the following layout:

Try this:

,----
`----

  > Note also the extra letter in the far-right column, which looks like
  > the first letter of each item.

Strange.  I did not see this when I tried your example.

-- Manish

* Re: Displaying column titles in column view
@ 2008-07-28  1:04       ` Steven E. Harris
From: Steven E. Harris @ 2008-07-28  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

> Try this:
>
> ,----
> | :COLUMNS:  %40ITEM(Task) %16Effort(Estimated Effort){+}
> `----

Other than the second column being wider, it produced the same outcome.

> Strange.  I did not see this when I tried your example.

Which Emacs variant are you using?

--

@ 2008-07-28  2:53         ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-07-28  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven E. Harris; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 6:34 AM, Steven E. Harris wrote:
  > Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:
  >
  >> Try this:
  >>
  >> ,----
  >> | :COLUMNS:  %40ITEM(Task) %16Effort(Estimated Effort){+}
  >> `----
  >
  > Other than the second column being wider, it produced the same outcome.
  >
  >> Strange.  I did not see this when I tried your example.
  >
  > Which Emacs variant are you using?

I tested on "GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)" and
"GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i686-pc-cygwin)" with latest checkout of
Org (commit c542119a.)

-- Manish

* Re: Re: Displaying column titles in column view
@ 2008-07-28  3:10     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-07-28  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven E. Harris; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I do not know about cygwin, but things are working properly here
(MacOS X, xemacs 21.4.20)

- Carsten

@ 2008-07-28 11:46       ` Steven E. Harris
From: Steven E. Harris @ 2008-07-28 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:

> I do not know about cygwin, but things are working properly here
> (MacOS X, xemacs 21.4.20)

Can you suggest a function I can trace through that draws the headline
to make sure that it's being called?

--

@ 2008-07-28 11:48     ` Steven E. Harris
From: Steven E. Harris @ 2008-07-28 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Steven E. Harris" <seh@panix.com> writes:

> Note also the extra letter in the far-right column, which looks like
> the first letter of each item.

Another difference I noticed: The "Effort" column's cells have a leading
asterisk.

--

@ 2008-07-28 14:27         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-07-28 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven E. Harris; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 28, 2008, at 4:46 AM, Steven E. Harris wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:
>
>> I do not know about cygwin, but things are working properly here
>> (MacOS X, xemacs 21.4.20)
>
> Can you suggest a function I can trace through that draws the headline
> to make sure that it's being called?

`org-columns-display-here-title'

- Carsten

* Re: Displaying column titles in column view
@ 2008-08-01 18:20           ` Steven E. Harris
From: Steven E. Harris @ 2008-08-01 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:

> `org-columns-display-here-title'

I figured out the main problem last night: I've had the following
configuration in my XEmacs configuration for about the last seven years:

,----
| ;; turn off gutter
| (and (boundp 'default-gutter-visible-p)
|      (set-specifier default-gutter-visible-p nil))
`----

The intention there was to defeat the buffer tabs that appear in the
gutter by default. That was too strong of a defeat, as org-mode's
columns use the top gutter to display the column header line.

Replacing the above configuration with the following made the header
line visible:

,----
| ;; turn off gutter tabs
| (setq gutter-buffers-tab-enabled nil)
`----

There are still many things that are odd about the header line. If I
have a vertically-split window, with an org-mode file in the bottom
window, and I activate column mode, the header appears above the top
window. Maybe that's the only place that the top gutter can appear.

Also, the column names without explicit widths specified are truncated,
perhaps to squeeze them down to fit the actual data in the most compact
way.

Taking the same sample file as I shared at the start of this thread,
here's what I see now:

[-- Attachment #2: org-mode-columns.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 22529 bytes --]

Note the asterisks in the second column, and the extra third column with
the first letter as the the item name. The values in the second column
for the first two entries are correct (2 and 3), but the third entry has
a value of 40, which appears here as a period.

--

@ 2008-08-01 21:01             ` Peter Jones
From: Peter Jones @ 2008-08-01 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Steven E. Harris" <seh@panix.com> writes:
> There are still many things that are odd about the header line. If I
> have a vertically-split window, with an org-mode file in the bottom
> window, and I activate column mode, the header appears above the top
> window. Maybe that's the only place that the top gutter can appear.

I don't have any of these problems, but I'm using GNU Emacs.  I do
know that org-mode has a completely different implementation of column
view for XEmacs.

You might want to look in org-colview-xemacs.el and do some light
comparisons with org-colview.el.

--
Peter Jones, http://pmade.com
pmade inc.  Louisville, CO US