* TaskPaper and Org-Mode?
@ 2008-03-27 12:58 Clint Laskowski
From: Clint Laskowski @ 2008-03-27 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I hope this isn't seen as too much of a distraction by Org-Mode
purists, but has anyone looked at integrating TaskPaper into Org-Mode?

TaskPaper seems to be a really simple way of documenting tasks in text
with a GTD style. Here's an example:

Fishing Project:
- buy worms @store
- collect fishing stuff @ home
- drive to river
- catch fish
- clean fish
- drive home
- cook fish @home
Project2:
- task 1
- task 2
- task 3

You can learn more about TaskPaper at the following links:

* http://hogbaysoftware.com/products/taskpaper - the company with the
first implementations of taskpaper (as far as I know), including Mac
and web versions.

* http://widefido.com/ - company with a Windows version of taskpaper

* http://coderepos.org/share/browser/lang/elisp/taskpaper/trunk/taskpaper.el
- taskpaper-mode for emacs

I think it would be extremely useful to incorporate TaskPaper into
Org-Mode. Unfortunately, I'm not sure my Elisp skills are up to the
job yet.

-- Clint

Clint Laskowski, CISSP
clint.laskowski@gmail.com

* RE: TaskPaper and Org-Mode?
@ 2008-03-27 13:09 ` Egli Christian (KIRO 433)
From: Egli Christian (KIRO 433) @ 2008-03-27 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> TaskPaper seems to be a really simple way of documenting tasks in text
> with a GTD style. Here's an example:

> I think it would be extremely useful to incorporate TaskPaper into
> Org-Mode.

From what I can tell Taskpaper seems to be a subset of org-mode. How
would an integration  of TaskPaper look like? What features does
TaskPaper have that org-mode doesn't have?

Christian

* Re: TaskPaper and Org-Mode?
@ 2008-03-29 12:17   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2008-03-29 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

"Egli Christian (KIRO 433)" <christian.egli@credit-suisse.com> writes:

>> TaskPaper seems to be a really simple way of documenting tasks in text
>> with a GTD style. Here's an example:
>
>> I think it would be extremely useful to incorporate TaskPaper into
>> Org-Mode.

From what I can tell Taskpaper seems to be a subset of org-mode. How
> would an integration  of TaskPaper look like? What features does
> TaskPaper have that org-mode doesn't have?

I just read through the web-description and had a short look at the
code of tastpaper.el. And the very same question appears to me.

The only thing I can imagine why one should prefer taskpaper.el over
org is its simplicity. org-mode has grown quite complex in the last
few months. That's an advantage, of course, but might prevent new
users from giving it a try. However, an integration of both modes
would rise the complexity.

I may be wrong. Which advantage do you see, Clint?

Greetings

Sven

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: TaskPaper and Org-Mode?
@ 2008-03-30 20:00     ` Clint Laskowski
From: Clint Laskowski @ 2008-03-30 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I think simplicity would be the biggest advantage. I started with
Org-Mode about six months ago and I think I've noticed an increase in
the complexity (that's probably also partly due to reading threads on
this list which, arguably, is a portal into the most complex aspects
of Org-Mode).

I need to re-think/re-consider my suggestion and articulate it more
clearly, I think!

-- Clint

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 7:17 AM, Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Hi
>

>  "Egli Christian (KIRO 433)" <christian.egli@credit-suisse.com> writes:
>
>  >> TaskPaper seems to be a really simple way of documenting tasks in text
>  >> with a GTD style. Here's an example:
>  >
>  >> I think it would be extremely useful to incorporate TaskPaper into
>  >> Org-Mode.
>  >
>  >From what I can tell Taskpaper seems to be a subset of org-mode. How
>  > would an integration  of TaskPaper look like? What features does
>  > TaskPaper have that org-mode doesn't have?
>
>  I just read through the web-description and had a short look at the
>  code of tastpaper.el. And the very same question appears to me.
>
>  The only thing I can imagine why one should prefer taskpaper.el over
>  org is its simplicity. org-mode has grown quite complex in the last
>  few months. That's an advantage, of course, but might prevent new
>  users from giving it a try. However, an integration of both modes
>  would rise the complexity.
>
>  I may be wrong. Which advantage do you see, Clint?
>
>  Greetings
>
>  Sven

-- Clint

Clint Laskowski, CISSP