* Latex exporting
@ 2008-07-29 23:46 Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-07-29 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've finally embarked upon a journey of exploration, attempting to
publish quality PDF's via org and latex.

I've found that I'm creating my own headers and other items that must
be included before the \begin, and the only mechanism for adding them
is via the org-export-latex-append-header variable. I've added this to
my local variables block, but it is quite awkward.

I know I can customize the org-export-class variable, but it would be
difficult to customize on each document.

Did I miss a feature to specify LaTeX header information for the
exporter? I'm trying to add usepackages, fancyheader, etc.

Here's an example of what I'm putting in the local block:

#+ Local Variables:
#+ org-export-latex-title-command: ""
#+ org-export-latex-tables-column-borders: t
#+ org-export-latex-append-header: "\
#+ \\usepackage{graphicx}\
#+ \\renewcommand{\\headheight}{33pt}\
#+ \\fancyhead[L]{Header here}"
#+ End:

Thanks.

* Re: Latex exporting
@ 2008-08-06 21:32 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-08-06 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 3477 bytes --]

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 06:46:37PM -0500, Russell Adams wrote:
> I've finally embarked upon a journey of exploration, attempting to
> publish quality PDF's via org and latex.

As a follow up to my command line tricks, I want to share how to get
headers and footers into Latex exports.

First, the default latex exporter uses A4 paper, I need letter. To
change that I use the following in my .emacs to add a custom export
type, "myarticle".

This includes expanding the default margins via the geometry package,
and sets up packages I will use later like fancyhdr and lastpage. I
also include a default footer on my work, which includes the filename
and date, page numbering, and copyright statement with current year.

~/.emacs ------------------------------------------------------------

(setq org-export-latex-classes (cons '("myarticle"
     "% BEGIN My Article Defaults
\\documentclass[10pt,letterpaper]{article}
\\usepackage[letterpaper,includeheadfoot,top=0.5in,bottom=0.5in,left=0.75in,right=0.75in]{geometry}
\\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\\usepackage{hyperref}
\\usepackage{lastpage}
\\usepackage{fancyhdr}
\\pagestyle{fancy}
\\renewcommand{\\headrulewidth}{1pt}
\\renewcommand{\\footrulewidth}{0.5pt}

% Default footer
\\fancyfoot[L]{\\small \\jobname \\\\ \\today}
\\fancyfoot[C]{\\small Page \\thepage\\ of \\pageref{LastPage}}
\\fancyfoot[R]{\\small \\copyright \\the\\year\\  Me}
% END My Article Defaults

"
     ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
     ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
     ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}")
     ("\\paragraph{%s}" . "\\paragraph*{%s}")
     ("\\subparagraph{%s}" . "\\subparagraph*{%s}"))
									 org-export-latex-classes))

To use this custom type I add this as the first line in my Org file:

#+LaTeX_CLASS: myarticle

Further customization is easy using a local variables block at the end
of my file.

End of file.org --------------------------------------------------

#+ Local Variables:
#+ org-export-latex-title-command: ""
#+ org-export-latex-append-header: "\
#+ \\usepackage{graphicx}
#+ \\usepackage{multicol}
#+ \\geometry{headheight=47pt}
#+ \\fancyhead[L]{\\LARGE This is the header title}
#+ \\fancyfoot[L]{\\small Overridden filename\\\\ \\today}
#+ "
#+ End:

Changing the title command means no title page is created, so I must
make my own. Omitting that line will create the normal title page.

Other packages I include via the append header variable are graphicx
for PNG support, multicol for two columns, overriding the page header
height in case I get a warning its too tall, and new headers to
override the defaults (ie: I want something better than a filename).

I'm exporting to latex via a Makefile, using the command line tricks I
posted earlier. The Makefile is attached.

I've attached a sample org file and its output PDF using these
settings, because one of my frustrations learning latex has been the
lack of finished output for examples. ;]

Enjoy!

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Makefile --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 677 bytes --]

.PHONY: all clean

# All org files convert to PDF
OBJS := $(patsubst %.org, %.pdf, $(wildcard *.org))

# TeX output and logs
CRAP := $(patsubst %.org, %.pdf, $(wildcard *.org))
CRAP += $(patsubst %.org, %.aux, $(wildcard *.org))
CRAP += $(patsubst %.org, %.log, $(wildcard *.org))
CRAP += $(patsubst %.org, %.out, $(wildcard *.org))
CRAP += $(patsubst %.org, %.toc, $(wildcard *.org))

all: $(OBJS)

clean:
	rm -f $(CRAP)

# Convert the orgs
%.tex: %.org
	emacs --eval '(setq enable-local-variables :all)' \
		$< \
		-f org-export-as-latex \
		-f save-buffers-kill-emacs

# Always run twice in case the TOC generation & lastpage complain
%.pdf: %.tex
	pdflatex $<
	pdflatex $<

[-- Attachment #1.1.3: Example.org --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 5011 bytes --]

#+LaTeX_CLASS: myarticle
#+TITLE:     Not used because I've disabled the title page
#+AUTHOR:    Russell Adams
#+EMAIL:     rladams@adamsinfoserv.com
#+DATE:      <2008-08-06 Wed>
#+LANGUAGE:  en

* Example

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Maecenas
venenatis. Morbi sem erat, facilisis a, molestie ut, fringilla id,
eros. Mauris nec elit sed lorem faucibus scelerisque. Morbi
fringilla. Nullam pellentesque facilisis sapien. Curabitur laoreet
fringilla nisl. Morbi id eros vitae ligula laoreet tincidunt. Integer
semper, tellus ut luctus sagittis, diam sem condimentum leo, in
consectetuer risus tellus eu enim. Proin leo nulla, consequat nec,
varius sit amet, tincidunt non, velit. Suspendisse potenti. Morbi
mollis, nunc luctus porta sagittis, mauris orci euismod nibh, ut
ultricies tellus elit eu mi. Nulla odio. Class aptent taciti sociosqu
ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Nullam
vitae neque. Etiam tellus nulla, semper at, elementum ut, interdum in,
odio. Maecenas sit amet leo. Nulla facilisi. Pellentesque vestibulum
dui in mauris. Sed sollicitudin purus ornare nunc. Praesent aliquam,
libero sit amet rutrum molestie, pede dolor tincidunt odio, et auctor
nisi nisl vel elit.

** Subsection One

Curabitur nulla ipsum, porta ut, tincidunt ut, tincidunt vel,
ipsum. Integer nec lacus at orci placerat placerat. Donec egestas
cursus elit. Sed euismod facilisis orci. Sed id ligula. Vestibulum
tincidunt mollis diam. Nulla velit ipsum, commodo condimentum, aliquam
vitae, sollicitudin quis, lacus. Nullam condimentum ornare nibh. Ut a
orci eu arcu rutrum laoreet. Maecenas egestas.

** Subsection Two

Mauris eleifend. Etiam aliquam magna iaculis tortor. Sed
molestie. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia
nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Integer eu justo eu risus ultricies
pellentesque. In pellentesque tincidunt neque. Pellentesque a arcu nec
urna porta sagittis. Cras turpis purus, tristique et, imperdiet id,
commodo nec, eros. Etiam posuere scelerisque tellus. Sed sit amet
justo. Donec elementum leo a sapien. Ut porttitor orci euismod
eros. Ut faucibus. Proin condimentum. Pellentesque id ligula. Nullam
ullamcorper. Cras porta fermentum est. In eu mi. Aenean hendrerit
lacus vitae enim.

* Summary

Vestibulum sodales. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et
netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Nunc scelerisque, justo id
tincidunt pellentesque, nunc velit rhoncus nibh, in congue pede diam
at turpis. Nullam porta orci nec felis. Nam ullamcorper vulputate
risus. Nulla nec massa. Sed dignissim elit vitae elit. Praesent
tristique lobortis turpis. Fusce nisl. Aliquam nibh pede, faucibus
non, cursus a, consequat sit amet, erat. Pellentesque lectus. Maecenas
felis. Maecenas tincidunt. Nam eleifend justo sed massa. Curabitur
quam. Integer tincidunt metus. Morbi convallis dapibus arcu. Praesent
et augue a enim hendrerit consequat.

\pagebreak

\begin{multicols}{2}

 - Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.
	 - Pellentesque vehicula porttitor libero.
	 - Duis volutpat turpis at magna.
 - Nunc tincidunt massa at enim.
 - Mauris aliquet molestie nulla.
 - Sed ullamcorper nunc sit amet massa.
	 - Proin dignissim fermentum dolor.
	 - Sed viverra cursus pede.
	 - Nulla molestie dolor a turpis.
 - Etiam sodales libero nec tellus facilisis sollicitudin.
 - Vestibulum lacinia erat in felis.
 - Cras lacinia faucibus massa.
 - Pellentesque aliquet mollis neque.
 - Sed blandit nibh ut lorem.
	 - Sed suscipit augue ac arcu.
 - Ut tempus volutpat lorem.
 - Sed ac elit eget mauris rutrum rhoncus.
 - In pellentesque facilisis dolor.
	 - Fusce eu sapien lobortis nibh blandit ultrices.
	 - Nulla auctor urna sed erat.
	 - Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.
	 - Pellentesque vehicula porttitor libero.
 - Duis volutpat turpis at magna.
 - Nunc tincidunt massa at enim.
 - Mauris aliquet molestie nulla.
 - Sed ullamcorper nunc sit amet massa.
 - Proin dignissim fermentum dolor.
 - Sed viverra cursus pede.
 - Nulla molestie dolor a turpis.
	 - Etiam sodales libero nec tellus facilisis sollicitudin.
		 - Vestibulum lacinia erat in felis.
	 - Cras lacinia faucibus massa.
		 - Pellentesque aliquet mollis neque.
		 - Sed blandit nibh ut lorem.
 - Sed suscipit augue ac arcu.
 - Ut tempus volutpat lorem.
 - Sed ac elit eget mauris rutrum rhoncus.
 - In pellentesque facilisis dolor.
 - Fusce eu sapien lobortis nibh blandit ultrices.
 - Nulla auctor urna sed erat.

\end{multicols}

\begin{center}\rule{0.5\linewidth}{0.1pt}\end{center}

#+ Local Variables:
#+ org-export-latex-title-command: ""
#+ org-export-latex-append-header: "\
#+ \\usepackage{graphicx}
#+ \\usepackage{multicol}
#+ \\geometry{headheight=47pt}
#+ \\fancyhead[L]{\\LARGE This is the header title}
#+ \\fancyfoot[L]{\\small Overridden filename\\\\ \\today}
#+ "
#+ End:

[-- Attachment #1.1.4: Example.pdf --]

* Re: Latex exporting
@ 2008-08-07  4:08   ` Daniel Goldin
From: Daniel Goldin @ 2008-08-07  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thank you so much for sharing this!

d.

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Russell Adams <RLAdams@adamsinfoserv.com>wrote:

> [...]
> make my own. Omitting that line will create the normal title page.
>
> Other packages I include via the append header variable are graphicx
> for PNG support, multicol for two columns, overriding the page header
> height in case I get a warning its too tall, and new headers to
> override the defaults (ie: I want something better than a filename).
>
> I'm exporting to latex via a Makefile, using the command line tricks I
> posted earlier. The Makefile is attached.
>
> I've attached a sample org file and its output PDF using these
> settings, because one of my frustrations learning latex has been the
> lack of finished output for examples. ;]
>
> Enjoy!

> Russell Adams                            RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.com
>
> PGP Key ID:     0x1160DCB3           http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/
>
> Fingerprint:    1723 D8CA 4280 1EC9 557F  66E8 1154 E018 1160 DCB3

Daniel Goldin
213.926.1960

* Re: Latex exporting
@ 2008-09-10 18:54   ` Frank Dekens
From: Frank Dekens @ 2008-09-10 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Russell Adams <RLAdams <at> AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

> End of file.org --------------------------------------------------
>
> #+ Local Variables:
> #+ org-export-latex-title-command: ""
> #+ org-export-latex-append-header: "\
> #+ \\usepackage{graphicx}
> #+ \\usepackage{multicol}
> #+ \\geometry{headheight=47pt}
> #+ \\fancyhead[L]{\\LARGE This is the header title}
> #+ \\fancyfoot[L]{\\small Overridden filename\\\\ \\today}
> #+ "
> #+ End:

     I have seen these local variable additions in several examples on
the web, but for some reason they never make it into my .tex file. Is
there a trick to getting these to appear? I'm using v6.02 of org with
Carbon Emacs on a Mac.
     I'll try the .emacs style from your example in the mean time, but
it would still be nice to get these variables to work.
     Thanks,
     Frank D.
PS: Thanks for the great example.

* Re: Re: Latex exporting
@ 2008-09-10 22:32     ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-09-10 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Those are only honored when the file is opened, or you can hit

'M-x normal-mode'

to reload them.

Don't forget that the same applies to the template options header org
can put at the top of the file. Its honored at open, or if you update
a line you can C-c C-c on it to load that line.

This is why I use a Makefile that invokes a separate copy of email to
export / pdflatex my output. I never have to worry about if my
variables are current.

Enjoy!

@ 2008-09-24  0:52       ` Frank Dekens
From: Frank Dekens @ 2008-09-24  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Russell Adams <RLAdams <at> AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

> Those are only honored when the file is opened, or you can hit
>
> 'M-x normal-mode'
>
> to reload them.
>
> Don't forget that the same applies to the template options header org
> can put at the top of the file. Its honored at open, or if you update
> a line you can C-c C-c on it to load that line.
>
> This is why I use a Makefile that invokes a separate copy of email to
> export / pdflatex my output. I never have to worry about if my
> variables are current.
>
> Enjoy!

Ok, I got the Latex export to work. In the mean time I have also learned
to COMMENT and :ARCHIVE: the by now long header area, so I keep it nicely
hidden and not bothering me.

When I first read your post, I didn't understand the second paragraph,
(I believe you mean emacs instead of email), but now that I have
forgotten a step in the process so many times (usually the C-c C-e l
part of coarse), I understand why you use a Makefile.

All that to say: Can you please post a copy of that makefile, because I
have no idea how to invoke all those commands that way.

Thanks,
Frank D.

* Re: Re: Latex exporting
@ 2008-09-25  5:42         ` Russell Adams