* Preserving non breaking spaces in HTML export (maybe other?)
@ 2023-06-27 10:33 Étienne Deparis
From: Étienne Deparis @ 2023-06-27 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

If I’m not wrong, I think I just came across a little issue while
using
HTML export in org mode.

As a french writer, we use a lot of non-breaking spaces¹ in
various
situation. For exemple before double column or question mark:

    Ceci est un exemple :

    N’est-il pas interessant ?

¹ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-breaking_space

Above I use a "narrow no-breaking space", but historically other
might
have used plain non-breaking space ( ).

However, after export all those spaces have disapeared. I cannot
find
where in the code this replacement is made, thus if one know
better how
the exporter run here, it would be great to share. It would let me
try
to work around this.

By order of preference, I’d have expected:

- spaces to be replaced by their HTML entity (either   or
   )
- spaces left as this (no replacement).

I’m also curious about the rational behind the replacement. Is
this to
protect something?

Thank you very much for your help,

Étienne

* Re: Preserving non breaking spaces in HTML export (maybe other?)
@ 2023-06-27 10:54 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-06-27 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: etienne; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Étienne Deparis <etienne@depar.is> writes:

>     Ceci est un exemple :
>
>     N’est-il pas interessant ?
> However, after export all those spaces have disapeared. I cannot
> find
> where in the code this replacement is made, thus if one know
> better how
> the exporter run here, it would be great to share. It would let me
> try
> to work around this.

I cannot reproduce.
May you please provide more detailed steps starting from emacs -Q?
See https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

> - spaces to be replaced by their HTML entity (either &#8239; or
>   &nbsp;)

You can achieve it using space entities.

> - spaces left as this (no replacement).

This is what should happen now.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Preserving non breaking spaces in HTML export (maybe other?)
@ 2023-06-27 11:14   ` Étienne Deparis
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Étienne Deparis @ 2023-06-27 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

mar. 27 juin 2023 à 12:54, yantar92@posteo.net a écrit :

> I cannot reproduce.

Oh, very sorry, actually it effectively leaves the spaces as this
in the
output file. I was confused by Firefox, who makes the replacement
🙁
(interpret non-breaking spaces UTF-8 char as breaking, and replace
them
by regular space when copy/pasting text…).

Thus it means this is not an org mode issue, but more like a
publication
process issue, and then…

>> - spaces to be replaced by their HTML entity (either &#8239; or
>>   &nbsp;)
>
> You can achieve it using space entities.

I’m not sure to understand your proposal: directly write &nbsp;
into my
org document?

Actually I think I found the solution directly in the
documentation¹
🤦. I’ve no idea how I skip it during my first search.

¹ https://orgmode.org/org.html#Filters-1

I’m sorry for the pollution on the list.

@ 2023-06-27 12:04     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-06-27 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: etienne; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Étienne Deparis <etienne@depar.is> writes:

>>> - spaces to be replaced by their HTML entity (either &#8239; or
>>>   &nbsp;)
>>
>> You can achieve it using space entities.
>
> I’m not sure to understand your proposal: directly write &nbsp;
> into my
> org document?

You can write \nbsp{}.
See https://orgmode.org/manual/Special-Symbols.html

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Preserving non breaking spaces in HTML export (maybe other?)
@ 2023-06-27 15:59     ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2023-06-27 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: etienne, emacs-orgmode

On 27/06/2023 18:14, Étienne Deparis wrote:

> Oh, very sorry, actually it effectively leaves the spaces as this in the
> output file. I was confused by Firefox, who makes the replacement 🙁
> (interpret non-breaking spaces UTF-8 char as breaking, and replace them
> by regular space when copy/pasting text…).

I do not see any issue with Firefox. It might be OS or locale-dependent
however.

Copy from Firefox running as en_US.UTF-8 on Linux and pasting to Emacs
preserves "NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE" (`describe-char').

* Re: Preserving non breaking spaces in HTML export (maybe other?)
@ 2023-06-27 16:00     ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2023-06-27 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: etienne, emacs-orgmode