* meta & esc
@ 2006-11-10 17:16 Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2006-11-10 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

    Another basic question, but should there be equivalent ESC key
bindings for all of the Meta key bindings?  I know the binding for
M-S-RET doesn't seem to work.  In checkbox/bullet lists, I get a
bullet but no checkbox and the checkbox counters don't update.  I can
go through and put together the list of Meta bindings that lack escape
equivalent bindings if they should exist.

Edd

* Re: meta & esc
@ 2006-11-10 17:24 Tim O Callaghan
From: Tim O Callaghan @ 2006-11-10 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hi,
>
>     Another basic question, but should there be equivalent ESC key
> bindings for all of the Meta key bindings?  I know the binding for M-S-RET doesn't seem to work.
 In checkbox/bullet lists, I get a bullet but no checkbox and the checkbox counters don't
update.  I can go through and put together the list of Meta bindings that lack escape equivalent
bindings if they should exist.

> Edd

Not sure, but keybindings is something i would like to see modifiable, or at least the signifier
key 'c-c'. Currently i have a hack that mods some of them, but it would be nicer if either they
were re-definable, or the definitions were in a separate file, say org-keys.el

Tim.

* Re: meta & esc
@ 2006-11-10 18:00 ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2006-11-10 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: timo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I'm fine with the bindings except I don't have a meta and there are
quite a few apps at work that seem to like Alt the way it is.  I'm
little nervous about remapping ALT for all of X.  I haven't found a
way to tell just emacs to consider ALT a Meta.

Edd

On 11/10/06, Tim O Callaghan <timo@dspsrv.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >     Another basic question, but should there be equivalent ESC key
> > bindings for all of the Meta key bindings?  I know the binding for M-S-RET doesn't seem to work.
>  In checkbox/bullet lists, I get a bullet but no checkbox and the checkbox counters don't
> update.  I can go through and put together the list of Meta bindings that lack escape equivalent
> bindings if they should exist.
> >
> > Edd
> >

> Not sure, but keybindings is something i would like to see modifiable, or at least the signifier
> key 'c-c'. Currently i have a hack that mods some of them, but it would be nicer if either they
> were re-definable, or the definitions were in a separate file, say org-keys.el
>
> Tim.

* Re: meta & esc
@ 2006-11-10 18:08   ` Tim O Callaghan
From: Tim O Callaghan @ 2006-11-10 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eddward DeVilla; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I'm fine with the bindings except I don't have a meta and there are
> quite a few apps at work that seem to like Alt the way it is.  I'm
> little nervous about remapping ALT for all of X.  I haven't found a
> way to tell just emacs to consider ALT a Meta.
>
> Edd

As far as i'm aware, ESC has always been meta, especially in text mode environments. Or at least
that has been my experience to date. Can i ask what environment this is?

Just a quick check in xemacs shows a variable called meta-prefix-char, which may be applicable.

Not sure if you know this, but one good resource for such things is the emacswiki.
this section may apply to your situation.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ConsoleKeys
not this one though ;)
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EscapeMetaAltControlShift

Tim.

* Re: meta & esc
@ 2006-11-10 18:10   ` Tim O Callaghan
From: Tim O Callaghan @ 2006-11-10 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eddward DeVilla; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I'm fine with the bindings except I don't have a meta and there are
> quite a few apps at work that seem to like Alt the way it is.  I'm
> little nervous about remapping ALT for all of X.  I haven't found a
> way to tell just emacs to consider ALT a Meta.
>
> Edd

ooops, missed this obvious one:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/MetaKeyProblems

Tim.