* [Feature request] LaTeX blocks preview
@ 2017-08-14 20:33 edgar
From: edgar @ 2017-08-14 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I would like to ask if it is possible to preview latex blocks. Something
like this (replace EXPORT with SRC, if you wish):

         #+BEGIN_EXPORT latex
         \begin{align}
           I_{0}
           & > \max{(\lambda_{f}^{2})}
           \\
           & > 2^{2}
           \\
           I_{0} & > 4
         \end{align}
         #+END_EXPORT

to be previewed in the same way as

         \begin{align}
           I_{0}
           & > \max{(\lambda_{f}^{2})}
           \\
           & > 2^{2}
           \\
           I_{0} & > 4
         \end{align}

- Rationale :: the LaTeX blocks have improved highlighting and editing
commands than pure Org-mode, they can be folded (hidden?) in Org-mode
and some extra options can be activated when exporting. Many times, it
is needed to preview the equations before actually exporting.

- Related ::
   - org-edit-latex-mode
     There is org-edit-latex-mode, but it requires  some extra work:
     1. org-edit-special (C-')
     2. org-edit-latex-preview-at-point (C-c C-p C-p)
     3. org-edit-src-exit (C-')

     Besides, the preview does not stay in the original Org-mode buffer,
but it's lost with step 3.

Please? Thank you!

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!

* Re: [Feature request] LaTeX blocks preview
@ 2017-08-19  8:57 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-08-19  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edgar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

edgar@openmail.cc writes:

> I would like to ask if it is possible to preview latex blocks. Something
> like this (replace EXPORT with SRC, if you wish):
>
>          #+BEGIN_EXPORT latex
>          \begin{align}
>            I_{0}
>            & > \max{(\lambda_{f}^{2})}
>            \\
>            & > 2^{2}
>            \\
>            I_{0} & > 4
>          \end{align}
>          #+END_EXPORT
>
> to be previewed in the same way as
>
>          \begin{align}
>            I_{0}
>            & > \max{(\lambda_{f}^{2})}
>            \\
>            & > 2^{2}
>            \\
>            I_{0} & > 4
>          \end{align}

It is not possible in the general case. The export block is not
guaranteed to contain a complete environment; it isn't necessarily
displayable either.

> - Related ::
>    - org-edit-latex-mode
>      There is org-edit-latex-mode, but it requires  some extra work:
>      1. org-edit-special (C-')
>      2. org-edit-latex-preview-at-point (C-c C-p C-p)
>      3. org-edit-src-exit (C-')
>
>      Besides, the preview does not stay in the original Org-mode buffer,
> but it's lost with step 3.

I think this is an acceptable workaround. I think AucTeX has its own
previewing mechanism, so step 2 may not be required.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [Feature request] LaTeX blocks preview
@ 2017-08-19 23:53   ` edgar
From: edgar @ 2017-08-19 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2017-08-19 08:57, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> It is not possible in the general case. The export block is not
> guaranteed to contain a complete environment; it isn't necessarily
> displayable either.

Thank you for your kind attention, anyway :) .

> I think this is an acceptable workaround. I think AucTeX has its own
> previewing mechanism, so step 2 may not be required.

I think that is the sole purpose of org-edit-latex-mode. It seems that
AucTeX does not work in the org-edit-special buffer. Thanks again.

@ 2017-09-13 14:28   ` edgar
From: edgar @ 2017-09-13 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2017-08-19 08:57, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>> to be previewed in the same way as
>>
>>          \begin{align}
>>            I_{0}
>>            & > \max{(\lambda_{f}^{2})}
>>            \\
>>            & > 2^{2}
>>            \\
>>            I_{0} & > 4
>>          \end{align}
>
> It is not possible in the general case. The export block is not
> guaranteed to contain a complete environment; it isn't necessarily
> displayable either.

I am guessing that I missed this in the documentation or that it is
conveniently unexpected behaviour, but I can do C-' to org-edit-special
with \begin{align} ... \end{align} alone (as shown above; without the
#+BEGIN_ ... #+END_).

>> - Related ::
>>    - org-edit-latex-mode
>>      There is org-edit-latex-mode, but it requires  some extra work:
>>      1. org-edit-special (C-')
>>      2. org-edit-latex-preview-at-point (C-c C-p C-p)
>>      3. org-edit-src-exit (C-')
>>
>>      Besides, the preview does not stay in the original Org-mode
>> buffer,
>> but it's lost with step 3.

I beg to keep it as it is; it's not a bug, but a feature in my opinion.
I just want to leave this for future reference to others. Thanks!