* window setup that works with org-agenda
@ 2020-08-13 13:02 Xianwen Chen (陈贤文)
From: Xianwen Chen (陈贤文) @ 2020-08-13 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

I use both org mode and org-roam.

org-roam opens a right-hand side window that displays backlinks.

When I run org-agenda, the right window is closed automatically.

I would like to receive tips regarding how to permanently set up the
window layout that I have on my mind. The layout has three windows.

The right window, *c*, displays the backlinks from org-roam. The rest of
the space is divided in half, which I call them as the window *a* and
the window *b*.

|-----------------------------|

|          a             |       |

|----------------------|   c  |

|          b             |       |

|-----------------------------|

When org-agenda displays agendas, it will not close *c* and it will not
resize *b*. It will display the agendas in the window *b*.

Cheers,

Xianwen

* window setup that works with org-agenda
@ 2020-08-13 13:33 ` Xianwen Chen (陈贤文)
From: Xianwen Chen (陈贤文) @ 2020-08-13 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[...]

* Re: window setup that works with org-agenda
@ 2020-08-13 14:42   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-08-13 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xianwen Chen (陈贤文); +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 13 Aug 2020 at 13:33, Xianwen Chen (陈贤文) wrote:
> I would like to receive tips regarding how to permanently set up the
> window layout that I have on my mind. The layout has three windows.

Have a look at this variable which may provide what you want:

,----[ C-h v org-agenda-window-setup RET ]
| org-agenda-window-setup is a variable defined in ‘org-agenda.el’.
| Its value is ‘other-frame’
| Original value was ‘reorganize-frame’
|
|   You can customize this variable.
|
| Documentation:
| How the agenda buffer should be displayed.
| Possible values for this option are:
|
| current-window    Show agenda in the current window, keeping all other windows.
| other-window      Use ‘switch-to-buffer-other-window’ to display agenda.
| only-window       Show agenda, deleting all other windows.
| reorganize-frame  Show only two windows on the current frame, the current
|                   window and the agenda.
| other-frame       Use ‘switch-to-buffer-other-frame’ to display agenda.
|                   Also, when exiting the agenda, kill that frame.
| See also the variable ‘org-agenda-restore-windows-after-quit’.
`----

I have a new frame popup when I ask for an agenda view, leaving the
window setup for the original frame untouched.
--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.7-705-gea9463

* Re: window setup that works with org-agenda
@ 2020-08-15 19:10     ` Xianwen Chen (陈贤文)
From: Xianwen Chen (陈贤文) @ 2020-08-15 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Professor Fraga,

Thank you very much! I set in ~/.emacs that

(setq org-agenda-window-setup "current-window")

It works beautifully!

Yours sincerely,

Xianwen