* Markup border outdated in spec?
@ 2020-08-06 12:14 kim.lindberger
From: kim.lindberger @ 2020-08-06 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

There seems to be an inconsistency between the Org syntax spec and the
actual behavior regarding text markup: the spec forbids `,`, `'` and
`"` in the border, yet it seems to work just fine to use them there in
the current version of Org. I think it's great that Org mode supports
this, but since the spec hasn't been updated to reflect this change,
external Org parsers which follow it don't. An example is org-ruby,
which is used by both GitLab and GitHub to render README files:
https://github.com/wallyqs/org-ruby/issues/36

~ Kim

* Markup border outdated in spec?
@ 2020-08-09  8:59 kim.lindberger
From: kim.lindberger @ 2020-08-09  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi,

There seems to be an inconsistency between the Org syntax spec and the
actual behavior regarding text markup: the spec forbids `,`, `'` and
`"` in the border, yet it seems to work just fine to use them there in
the current version of Org. I think it's great that Org mode supports
this, but since the spec hasn't been updated to reflect this change,
external Org parsers which follow it don't. An example is org-ruby,
which is used by both GitLab and GitHub to render README files:
https://github.com/wallyqs/org-ruby/issues/36

~ Kim

* Re: Markup border outdated in spec?
@ 2020-08-13  9:15 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-08-13  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kim.lindberger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

kim.lindberger@gmail.com writes:

> There seems to be an inconsistency between the Org syntax spec and the
> actual behavior regarding text markup: the spec forbids `,`, `'` and
> `"` in the border, yet it seems to work just fine to use them there in
> the current version of Org.

I updated the spec. Thank you.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Markup border outdated in spec?
@ 2020-09-04  9:43 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-04  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kim.lindberger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Kim,

thanks for reporting this.

kim.lindberger@gmail.com writes:

> There seems to be an inconsistency between the Org syntax spec and the
> actual behavior regarding text markup: the spec forbids `,`, `'` and
> `"` in the border, yet it seems to work just fine to use them there in
> the current version of Org. I think it's great that Org mode supports
> this, but since the spec hasn't been updated to reflect this change,
> external Org parsers which follow it don't. An example is org-ruby,
> which is used by both GitLab and GitHub to render README files:
> https://github.com/wallyqs/org-ruby/issues/36

Can you provide an example configuration that we can test for this?

Also, can you send a patch against the documentation if we need to fix
it?  See https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Markup border outdated in spec?
@ 2020-09-05 13:19   ` kim.lindberger
From: kim.lindberger @ 2020-09-05 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Bastien!

I believe Nicolas Goaziou fixed this in the spec already. I sent this
in two times because my first message got stuck, but eventually both
were sent to the list; I'm sorry for the confusion.

The use-case where I ran into this issue, if you're curious, is the
README.org file here https://github.com/talyz/fromElisp. As you can
see, some of the function names under the `Other functions` are
rendered incorrectly by the GitHub renderer, but renders and exports
just fine in Org.

Best regards,
Kim

@ 2020-09-05 14:07     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-05 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kim.lindberger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Kim,

kim.lindberger@gmail.com writes:

> I believe Nicolas Goaziou fixed this in the spec already.

I should have thought of this :)  Thanks for confirming!

> The use-case where I ran into this issue, if you're curious, is the
> README.org file here https://github.com/talyz/fromElisp. As you can
> see, some of the function names under the `Other functions` are
> rendered incorrectly by the GitHub renderer, but renders and exports
> just fine in Org.

Thanks for this additional information, always useful for the
casual reader of the list (hello casual reader!)

--
 Bastien