* [ANN] org-mac-protocol, fully updated for 10.6 and with added applications
@ 2010-03-26 23:35 Christopher Suckling
From: Christopher Suckling @ 2010-03-26 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

A suite of scripts that allow the user to annotate their org-mode
buffers without switching focus from other OS X applications.

The following applications are currently supported:

  + Safari, including linking to multiple tabs
  + Mail
  + Address Book
  + Skim
  + BibDesk
  + Pages
  + Numbers
  + Keynote
  + iTunes
  + Finder
  + Terminal

It's available, along with full documentation here:

http://github.com/claviclaws/org-mac-protocol

The AppleScripts interface with org-protocol.el to extract content from,
and link to, documents and applications.

Four modes of interaction are provided:

=org-link= creates an org-mode link and adds it to =*Org Links*= and the
kill-ring.

=org-link-tabs= creates org-mode links to all tabs in the front Safari
window and adds them to =*Org Links*= and the kill-ring.

=org-remember= pops up a small =*Remember*= frame with links and, where
possible, extracted content embedded.

=org-note= pops up a small =*Remember*= frame for note taking
independent of the document being worked on.

Carsten - I think this org-mac-protocol is now mature enough to be
considered for the contrib directory. If you agree, how would you like
it packaged for inclusion?

Best, Christopher

* Re: [ANN] org-mac-protocol, fully updated for 10.6 and with added applications
@ 2010-03-28  8:15 ` Carsten Dominik
       [not found]   ` <m2hbo0njp8.fsf@gmail.com>
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-03-28  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Christopher,

On Mar 27, 2010, at 12:35 AM, Christopher Suckling wrote:

> A suite of scripts that allow the user to annotate their org-mode
> buffers without switching focus from other OS X applications.
>
> The following applications are currently supported:
>
>  + Safari, including linking to multiple tabs
>  + Mail
>  + Address Book
>  + Skim
>  + BibDesk
>  + Pages
>  + Numbers
>  + Keynote
>  + iTunes
>  + Finder
>  + Terminal
>
> It's available, along with full documentation here:
>
> http://github.com/claviclaws/org-mac-protocol
>
> The AppleScripts interface with org-protocol.el to extract content
> from,
> and link to, documents and applications.
>
> Four modes of interaction are provided:
>
> =org-link= creates an org-mode link and adds it to =*Org Links*= and
> the
> kill-ring.
>
> =org-link-tabs= creates org-mode links to all tabs in the front Safari
> window and adds them to =*Org Links*= and the kill-ring.
>
> =org-remember= pops up a small =*Remember*= frame with links and,
> where
> possible, extracted content embedded.
>
> =org-note= pops up a small =*Remember*= frame for note taking
> independent of the document being worked on.
>

> Carsten - I think this org-mac-protocol is now mature enough to be
> considered for the contrib directory. If you agree, how would you like
> it packaged for inclusion?

this is awesome!

I guess this is a single elisp file?
Then you should just send it to me when ready.  I will add it and
also make an entry for it in org-modules.

And you should put documentation up on Worg

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/index.php

Thanks for this contribution!

- Carsten

P.S. will this include links to address book entries?

* Re: [ANN] org-mac-protocol, fully updated for 10.6 and with added applications
@ 2010-03-29 18:39   ` J. David Boyd
       [not found]   ` <m2hbo0njp8.fsf@gmail.com>
From: J. David Boyd @ 2010-03-29 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hi Christopher,
>

> this is awesome!
>
> I guess this is a single elisp file?

Looks like a bunch of AppleScript files that communicate with an elisp file...

* Re: [ANN] org-mac-protocol, fully updated for 10.6 and with added applications
       [not found]     ` <99E930F4-79F1-47AC-9961-57FEEB2305E5@gmail.com>
@ 2010-03-29 23:05       ` Christopher Suckling
From: Christopher Suckling @ 2010-03-29 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:28:31 +0200, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> this is awesome!
>>>
>>> I guess this is a single elisp file?
>>> Then you should just send it to me when ready.  I will add it and
>>> also make an entry for it in org-modules.
>>
>> There is a single elisp file, but there are also 6 AppleScripts and
>> one
>> Ruby script (AppleScript doesn't provide character escaping) that glue
>> the whole thing together with other applications.
>
> How would you handle the installation when these scripts are in org/
> contrib/mac-protocol/script or something like this.

(Sorry, accidentally moved thread off-list)

It would need to be a manual install as described in the documentation:

http://github.com/claviclaws/org-mac-protocol/blob/master/org-mac-protocol.org

Problem is that there are so many possible Emacsen with emacsclient
residing in different places, that it would often be necessary for the
user to edit one of the AppleScripts to point to their copy of
emacsclient.

I don't think the default org-mode Makefile installs stuff from the
contrib directory? Or have I missed something regarding the installation
of files in contrib?

@ 2010-04-06 10:07         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-06 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 30, 2010, at 1:05 AM, Christopher Suckling wrote:

>>> There is a single elisp file, but there are also 6 AppleScripts and
>>> one
>>> Ruby script (AppleScript doesn't provide character escaping) that
>>> glue
>>> the whole thing together with other applications.
>>
>> How would you handle the installation when these scripts are in org/
>> contrib/mac-protocol/script or something like this.
>>

> (Sorry, accidentally moved thread off-list)
>
> It would need to be a manual install as described in the
> documentation:
>
> http://github.com/claviclaws/org-mac-protocol/blob/master/org-mac-protocol.org
>
> Problem is that there are so many possible Emacsen with emacsclient
> residing in different places, that it would often be necessary for the
> user to edit one of the AppleScripts to point to their copy of
> emacsclient.
>
> I don't think the default org-mode Makefile installs stuff from the
> contrib directory? Or have I missed something regarding the
> installation
> of files in contrib?

That is correct.

So my proposal would be then that we add a whole directory for you to
contrib, and in that directory you put all the necessary files and
instructions for installation.  Should we keep the .el file in contrib/
lisp, or would you rather have people install it only when they also
dive in and install the scripts?  In the latter case it might be
better to have it in your own directory.  If the former case, we can
add it to contrib/lisp and even add an entry in org-modules, but then
it will not (fully) work until the scripts have been installed.

Go ahead and send me the package to install, with full instructions, I
will do what you decide is best.

Best wishes

- Carsten

> Best, Christopher

- Carsten

* Re: [ANN] org-mac-protocol, fully updated for 10.6 and with added applications
@ 2010-04-25  7:20         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-25  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Christopher - it seems to me that we never finalized this.
Please send me the fieles and tell me where exactly to install them
(maybe your own directory in the contrib directory, for example?).

- Carsten

On Mar 30, 2010, at 1:05 AM, Christopher Suckling wrote:

>>> There is a single elisp file, but there are also 6 AppleScripts and
>>> one
>>> Ruby script (AppleScript doesn't provide character escaping) that
>>> glue
>>> the whole thing together with other applications.
>>
>> How would you handle the installation when these scripts are in org/
>> contrib/mac-protocol/script or something like this.
>>

> (Sorry, accidentally moved thread off-list)
>
> It would need to be a manual install as described in the
> documentation:
>
> http://github.com/claviclaws/org-mac-protocol/blob/master/org-mac-protocol.org
>
> Problem is that there are so many possible Emacsen with emacsclient
> residing in different places, that it would often be necessary for the
> user to edit one of the AppleScripts to point to their copy of
> emacsclient.
>
> I don't think the default org-mode Makefile installs stuff from the
> contrib directory? Or have I missed something regarding the
> installation
> of files in contrib?
>
> Best, Christopher

- Carsten