* help: org-mode menu presence mysteriously disappearing and reappearing when I navigate the document
@ 2024-04-26 21:37 Cook, Malcolm
From: Cook, Malcolm @ 2024-04-26 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Hiya org-mode-philes,

I have a org document that, when I navigate through it, the org-mode menu disappears and reappears.

I am having trouble debugging this or creating a reproducible example and welcome any suggestions as to how to do either, or insight into what might be going on.

I do use a variety of org-mode extensions and other packages and when I limit my init.el to just basic org mode, the problem goes away, so it is obviously some interaction.  They include:

org-table-comment
org-special-block-extras
org-tidy
org-modern
outshine
polymode
and friends...

Thanks for any insights!

~ Malcolm

* Re: help: org-mode menu presence mysteriously disappearing and reappearing when I navigate the document
@ 2024-04-28 12:21 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-04-28 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cook, Malcolm; +Cc: Org-mode

"Cook, Malcolm" <MEC@stowers.org> writes:

> I have a org document that, when I navigate through it, the org-mode menu disappears and reappears.
> polymode

This.
Major mode menu is displayed only when the major mode is active, but
polymode will switch the major mode depending on the point location in
the buffer. Most likely, you see the menu disappearing when moving
inside src blocks where polymode activates another major mode.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* RE: help: org-mode menu presence mysteriously disappearing and reappearing when I navigate the document
@ 2024-04-29 15:40   ` Cook, Malcolm
From: Cook, Malcolm @ 2024-04-29 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Org-mode

> I have a org document that, when I navigate through it, the org-mode menu disappears and reappears.
> polymode

This.
Major mode menu is displayed only when the major mode is active, but
polymode will switch the major mode depending on the point location in
the buffer. Most likely, you see the menu disappearing when moving
inside src blocks where polymode activates another major mode.

(Please excuse the html reply - I needed to include snapshots and thought this the best way)

Indeed, I am delighted when polymode works in this fashion, as designed.   However, I am finding that the menu is changing when I navigate between org headers, such as below when I hit a single down arrow to advance from "** DONE publish help.md markdown as helptext in sidebar" to "** DONE remove custom search builder".

[cid:image001.png@01DA9A20.9F1A68B0]

[cid:image002.png@01DA9A21.9D55DFE0]

Thoughts?

[-- Attachment #2: image001.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 103448 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: image002.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 79452 bytes --]

* RE: help: org-mode menu presence mysteriously disappearing and reappearing when I navigate the document
@ 2024-04-29 15:44     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-04-29 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cook, Malcolm; +Cc: Org-mode

"Cook, Malcolm" <MEC@stowers.org> writes:

> Indeed, I am delighted when polymode works in this fashion, as designed.   However, I am finding that the menu is changing when I navigate between org headers, such as below when I hit a single down arrow to advance from "** DONE publish help.md markdown as helptext in sidebar" to "** DONE remove custom search builder".
> Thoughts?

Just that you may try to bisect the config.
https://github.com/Malabarba/elisp-bug-hunter can be helpful.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,