From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
To: "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <jao@gnu.org>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Re: Problem with agenda file list
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 22:25:08 +0200	[thread overview]

On Apr 26, 2008, at 1:06 PM, Jose A. Ortega Ruiz wrote:

> Dan Griswold <dgriswol@rochester.rr.com> writes:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I've encountered a strange problem with the org-agenda-files
>> variable.
>>
>> When I start up org-mode (which I do from my .emacs) the following
>> unsavory events happen:
>>
>> 1. org-agenda-files is set to only the first file in the list;
>> 2. custom-set-variables is set to just org-agenda-files (blowing
>>    away all other customizations);
>> 3. custom-set-variables and custom-set-faces are written to .emacs,
>>    even if custom-file is set to a different file name (as in my
>>    setup).
>>

> I've encountered problems 2) and 3). The latter can be fixed by
> custom-file before org, and i had to explicitly set the value of
> org-agenda-files in custom-set-variables to get the value i want.
>
> I put all my customizations in separate files and rarely use
> custom-set-{variables, faces}. It'd be nice if org offered the
> option of
> *not* writing any customization back

Org does this only when adding or removing from the list of agenda
files, the writing back of faces is an unwanted side effect.

I actually agree that using calls to customize-save may not be the
best way to do this.

You can maintain the list of agenda files in a file by setting
`org-agenda-files' not to a list of files, but to the name
of a single file that will then contain the list of files.

(setq org-agenda-files "~/.agenda-files")

In this case, customize-save-variable is never called.

I am not sure how intensively this way of setting things up has
been tested, if you and others give it serious, using it actively for
several weeks, including adding and removing files, using custom
agenda commands that set special values for org-agenda-files etc,
I might consider making it een the default.

- Carsten