From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
To: Wanrong Lin <wanrong.lin@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Re: Active timestamp with notification in advance
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 08:09:29 +0100	[thread overview]

On Feb 28, 2008, at 3:05 AM, Wanrong Lin wrote:

> Bastien wrote:
>> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>>

>>> Maybe use SCHEDULED: instead of DEADLINE: ?
>>>

>> I'm afraid this won't solve Wanrong's problem: you don't get warned
>> about scheduled items.
>>
>> Wanrong: maybe you can turn your items into scheduled items and
>> then use
>> `org-check-before-date' in the relevant file to get the list of
>> upcoming
>> scheduled items.
>>
>> But that's still a manual workaround...
>>
> Thanks a lot for the suggestions, but manual workaround does not
> work for me, as I want org to take care of giving me a notification
> in advance in the agenda buffer.
>
> For SCHEDULED and plain active time stamp, I don't think we need to
> have a default ahead notification setting as with deadlines, but it
> would really be nice to support the <..... -3d> format. It would be
> even nicer to have a new keyword (like "SCHEDULED@") that indicates
> a strictly scheduled item (just a fancy term for "appointment") and
> hence a default ahead notification setting can be applied. The lack
> of real appointment support in org-mode in fact is a little bit
> puzzling to me, since SCHEDULED item may or may not be strictly
> scheduled, while plain time stamp item may or may not be something
> that needs to take actions on (as it could be just an event).

Hmmm, lets discuss this for a while.

One thing is that I have been thinking for a while already if we
should have an APPOINTMENT keyword
to mark plain time stamps that actually are appointments, and in this
way to differentiate them
from events that you'd like to have in your agenda.

However, about ahead warnings of appointments.  The way I see it is
this:
One important goal (at least for me) is to keep my agenda as empty as
possible,
listing only the things I really need to do.  If I have a meeting in a
few days
and I get an ahead warning, this only distracts me.  Because each time
I see
that reminder, I need to think *again* why I did put that reminder and
what I
am supposed to be doing to prepare it.

Isn't  is much better to just put the meeting on the agenda with a
timestamp and then
immediately think about *tasks* that I need to do before the meeting.
List those
tasks under the meetig headline, and assign deadlines to them - you
will get
the ahead warning.  This seems to me is a much saner way of working.
But I
am interested to hear your use case - why do you want to be reminded of
future appointments *each* time you look at your list for today?

For meetings where I do not have anything to prepare, I do take a look
every
morning on an extended agenda of 10 days, to see what is coming.
Once a day, and that is it.

- Carsten