* prevent underscores to be translates in subscript when exporting to latex
@ 2022-10-08 13:58 Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2022-10-08 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org list

Hi all,
I've a link like
[[https://foo.com/bar_baz.html][https://foo.com/bar_baz.html]] that,
once rendered in LaTeX, is converted to a subscript like
bar\textsubscript{baz}.
Is there a way to prevent this?

Thanks,
Luca

* Re: prevent underscores to be translates in subscript when exporting to latex
@ 2022-10-08 14:13 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-08 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: emacs-org list

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
> I've a link like
> [[https://foo.com/bar_baz.html][https://foo.com/bar_baz.html]] that,
> once rendered in LaTeX, is converted to a subscript like
> bar\textsubscript{baz}.
> Is there a way to prevent this?

Description part of the link can contain markup, including underscore.
Just as if you write bar_baz in paragraph, =_= is interpreted as
subscript.
As usual, to prevent Org markup from being interpreted, you can use
verbatim environment:

[[https://foo.com/bar_baz.html][=https://foo.com/bar_baz.html=]]

or entity

[[https://foo.com/bar_baz.html][https://foo.com/bar\under{}baz.html]]

or you can drop the description part of the link altogether:

[[https://foo.com/bar_baz.html]]

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: prevent underscores to be translates in subscript when exporting to latex
@ 2022-10-08 14:32   ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2022-10-08 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-org list

On Sat, Oct 8, 2022 at 4:12 PM Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:
> [[https://foo.com/bar_baz.html][=https://foo.com/bar_baz.html=]]

This has, however, the effect of changing the font type to \textt. The
same happens when using ~ in place of =.

> or you can drop the description part of the link altogether:
>
> [[https://foo.com/bar_baz.html]]

This is the simplest way, according to me, and keeps the same font as
the surrounding text.

Thanks.

* Re: prevent underscores to be translates in subscript when exporting to latex
@ 2022-10-08 14:43 ` Mark Barton
From: Mark Barton @ 2022-10-08 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: emacs-org list

> On Oct 8, 2022, at 6:58 AM, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I've a link like
> [[https://foo.com/bar_baz.html][https://foo.com/bar_baz.html] <https://foo.com/bar_baz.html][https://foo.com/bar_baz.html]>] that,
> once rendered in LaTeX, is converted to a subscript like
> bar\textsubscript{baz}.
> Is there a way to prevent this?

I settled on adding an OPTION line to my org file to disable this behavior, since the documents I'm working on rarely need subscripts and I can use the LaTeX form when I do need to specify them.

The last part forces the export to recognize just the LaTeX form of specifying subscripts.

[[info:org#Export Settings][org#Export Settings]]
‘^’
     Toggle TeX-like syntax for sub- and superscripts.  If you write
     ‘^:{}’, ‘a_{b}’ is interpreted, but the simple ‘a_b’ is left as it
     is (‘org-export-with-sub-superscripts’).

Mark

* Re: prevent underscores to be translates in subscript when exporting to latex
@ 2022-10-12 12:22   ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2022-10-12 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Barton; +Cc: emacs-org list

On Sat, Oct 8, 2022 at 4:43 PM Mark Barton <mbarton98@gmail.com> wrote:
> The last part forces the export to recognize just the LaTeX form of specifying subscripts.

Great! Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

Luca