* setting options to python interpreter for a code block
@ 2013-09-11 17:22 John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2013-09-11 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am looking at a new strategy to capture stderr and exceptions in python
code blocks. Right now exceptions are not captured in the output, and
neither is stderr.

I made a little sandbox module that captures stdout, stderr, and exceptions
and then prints them all to stdout with some minor formatting. Here is an
example.

Say test.py has this content

#+BEGIN_SRC python
print 'hello'

print 4 + 6

import sys

print >>sys.stderr, 'message to stderr'

raise Exception('baboom')
#+END_SRC

When I use the sandbox, I get all the output on stdout like this.

#+BEGIN_SRC sh
python -m sandbox < test.py
# or cat test.py | python -m sandbox
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
#+begin_example

hello
10

stderr:
message to stderr

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/jkitchin/Dropbox/pycse/pycse/sandbox/sandbox.py", line 16, in
<module>
    exec(content, ns_globals, ns_locals)
  File "<string>", line 10, in <module>
Exception: baboom

#+end_example

So, I was wondering how to get this to happen in org-mode on a regular
python block. I think it could work if I could define a custom interpreter
for a particular block, e.g. python-sandbox that takes the codeblock on
stdin.

Is there some other way that I could do this? Thanks!

John

John Kitchin
Associate Professor
Doherty Hall A207F