* table export to same buffer
@ 2013-08-02 17:23 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-08-02 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is it possible to export an orgmode table not to a new file but overwriting
the org table in the same buffer?

Context is editing source code which contains a largeish table of (say)
constants.
Editing is done with orgtbl minor mode.
When done it should become back the table in the natural format of the
programming language
[For simplicity lets just say csv will do]

* Re: table export to same buffer
@ 2013-08-02 19:22 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-08-02 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Rustom Mody wrote:
> Is it possible to export an orgmode table not to a new file but overwriting
> the org table in the same buffer?
>
> Context is editing source code which contains a largeish table of (say)
> constants.
> Editing is done with orgtbl minor mode.
> When done it should become back the table in the natural format of the
> programming language
> [For simplicity lets just say csv will do]

Using an Org Babel code block (which you have to write, of course) taking as
input your table, and outputting your constants in the wished format should do
what you're looking for, right?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: table export to same buffer
@ 2013-08-03  4:52 ` Rustom Mody
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-08-03  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sebastien Vauban wrote

> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to export an orgmode table not to a new file but
>> overwriting the org table in the same buffer?
>>
>> Context is editing source code which contains a largeish table of (say)
>> constants.
>> Editing is done with orgtbl minor mode.
>> When done it should become back the table in the natural format of the
>> programming language
>> [For simplicity lets just say csv will do]
>>

> Using an Org Babel code block (which you have to write, of course) taking as
> input your table, and outputting your constants in the wished format should do
> what you're looking for, right?

I dont think so.
The context is writing C with C mode (or haskell with haskell-mode python
with python-mode etc) ie the user is not using orgmode.  That is why I
mentioned orgtbl, ie org table editing facilities are needed but the major
mode is something else.

However here some pre and postprocessing is also probably required.
Something like an automation of the following:

1. Editing a large struct spec in C -- major mode is C-mode
2. Select the region (may even be a rectangle)
3. Paste into an org-mode buffer
4. Run C-c | on region
5. Edit table as required
6. org-table-export in desired format to a file F
7. Visit F
8. Copy/Cut F (if necessary as rectangle)

* Re: table export to same buffer
@ 2013-08-03  7:25   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-08-03  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> The context is writing C with C mode (or haskell with haskell-mode python
> with python-mode etc) ie the user is not using orgmode.  That is why I
> mentioned orgtbl, ie org table editing facilities are needed but the major
> mode is something else.
>
> However here some pre and postprocessing is also probably required.
> Something like an automation of the following:
>
> 1. Editing a large struct spec in C -- major mode is C-mode
> 2. Select the region (may even be a rectangle)
> 3. Paste into an org-mode buffer
> 4. Run C-c | on region
> 5. Edit table as required
> 6. org-table-export in desired format to a file F
> 7. Visit F
> 8. Copy/Cut F (if necessary as rectangle)

There's also `org-export-replace-region-by'.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: table export to same buffer
@ 2013-08-03  8:06   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-08-03  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> Sebastien Vauban wrote
>
>     On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com>
>     wrote:
>
>     Is it possible to export an orgmode table not to a new file but
>     overwriting the org table in the same buffer?
>
>         Context is editing source code which contains a largeish table
>         of (say) constants. Editing is done with orgtbl minor mode.

>         When done it should become back the table in the natural
>         format of the programming language

>         [For simplicity lets just say csv will do]

> Using an Org Babel code block (which you have to write, of course)
> taking as input your table, and outputting your constants in the
> wished format should do what you're looking for, right?
>
> I dont think so. The context is writing C with C mode (or haskell with
> haskell-mode python with python-mode etc) ie the user is not using
> orgmode.  That is why I mentioned orgtbl, ie org table editing
> facilities are needed but the major mode is something else.
>
> However here some pre and postprocessing is also probably required.
> Something like an automation of the following:
>
> 1. Editing a large struct spec in C -- major mode is C-mode
> 2. Select the region (may even be a rectangle)
> 3. Paste into an org-mode buffer
> 4. Run C-c | on region
> 5. Edit table as required
> 6. org-table-export in desired format to a file F
> 7. Visit F
> 8. Copy/Cut F (if necessary as rectangle)

Another possibility is to make your source code file an 'outshine' file
(activate outline-minor-mode with outshine.el extensions and structure
it with outcommented Org-mode headlines), because then you get many of
these steps for free (see
[[http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-outside-org.html][Org-mode
outside Org-mode]] on Worg for more info about outshine.el and
outorg.el).

This way, your source code file really _is_ an Org-mode file too, you
switch between the two views on the same file with 'M-# M-#' and 'M-#'.

I can give you an example without changing buffer while writing this
email, since 'outorg' works with message-mode too, i.e. doing 'M-# M-#'
in a message-mode buffer lets me write my email in full Org-mode.

Lets insert a table with constants:

#+tblname: consts
| constant |   value |
|----------+---------|
| conway   | 1.30357 |
| pi       | 3.14159 |
| e        | 2.71828 |

#+name: tbl2lst
#+header: :var table=consts
#+header: :results value list verbatim :wrap "SRC picolisp"
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
 `(prog (scl 5) (setq lst (car ',table)))
#+end_src

#+results: tbl2lst
#+BEGIN_SRC picolisp
  (prog (scl 5) (setq lst (car (quote (("constant" "value") hline ("conway"
  1.30357) ("pi" 3.14159) ("e" 2.71828))))))
#+END_SRC

So the steps are:

 1. Make your source file an outshine file
 2. Edit it as Org-file (with 'M-# M-#' outorg-edit-as-org)

Assume I'm editing a PicoLisp source file and want to introduce
constants the easy way (in an Org-mode table). Then in step (2) I would
add the table 'consts' and the Emacs Lisp source-block 'tbl2lst'. When
going back to the source view, the table and the source block will be
converted to PicoLisp comments.

No so the results block, because outorg recognizes its a PicoLisp block
and will convert it back to source code. Thus in the Emacs Lisp block I
use the table as variable that holds a nested list structure and
transform this nested list into a structure of my target programming
language, let it be PicoLisp or C or whatever. This should be much
easier than parsing the table itself.

Then everytime you want to edit the constants, you simply switch to
Org-mode view, edit the Org table, eval the Emacs Lisp source-block, and
switch back to PicoLisp source view.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: table export to same buffer
@ 2013-08-03 23:34   ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2013-08-03 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 11:52 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sebastien Vauban wrote
>
>> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to export an orgmode table not to a new file but
>>> overwriting the org table in the same buffer?
>>>
>>> Context is editing source code which contains a largeish table of (say)
>>> constants.
>>> Editing is done with orgtbl minor mode.
>>> When done it should become back the table in the natural format of the
>>> programming language
>>> [For simplicity lets just say csv will do]
>>>

>> Using an Org Babel code block (which you have to write, of course) taking as
>> input your table, and outputting your constants in the wished format should do
>> what you're looking for, right?
>>

> I dont think so.
> The context is writing C with C mode (or haskell with haskell-mode python
> with python-mode etc) ie the user is not using orgmode.  That is why I
> mentioned orgtbl, ie org table editing facilities are needed but the major
> mode is something else.

What about a radio table using orgtbl-to-generic?

See Appendix 6 of the Org manual

Will

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia

* Re: table export to same buffer
@ 2013-08-04 11:13     ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-08-04 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Henney, Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 5:04 AM, William Henney <whenney@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 11:52 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Sebastien Vauban wrote

>>> Using an Org Babel code block (which you have to write, of course) taking as
>>> input your table, and outputting your constants in the wished format should do
>>> what you're looking for, right?
>>>

>> I dont think so.
>> The context is writing C with C mode (or haskell with haskell-mode python
>> with python-mode etc) ie the user is not using orgmode.  That is why I
>> mentioned orgtbl, ie org table editing facilities are needed but the major
>> mode is something else.
>>

> What about a radio table using orgtbl-to-generic?
>
> See Appendix 6 of the Org manual
>
> Will

This looks like a useful approach

The variable names dont seem to match:
Appendix 6.2 talks of orgtbl-radio-tables
However org (8.0.7) seems to have orgtbl-radio-table-templates

Assuming they are the same, anywhere I can read about the documentation of
the template format?
Specifically I find that the name of the receiving function
(orgtbl-to-latex) seems to have a significance.  The same in the template
seems to have none

* Re: table export to same buffer
@ 2013-08-12 18:20       ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2013-08-12 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)