* Python with org-mode
@ 2019-03-30  3:18 Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2019-03-30  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've seen many "start using Python" parades, but what is the best way to
use Python with org-mode, i.e., in babel source blocks? I'm on U18.10,
which comes with standard 2 (2.7.15+) and 3 (3.6.7). But then I keep
hearing about Anaconda. Your opinions, experiences, please.

LB

* Re: Python with org-mode
@ 2019-03-30  7:40 ` richardfieldsend
From: richardfieldsend @ 2019-03-30  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently began experimenting with literate programming, starting with converting my configuration to use org and elisp. Python is the second language I have worked with. My observations so far:* you need to activate languages other than elisp. I am on my phone, so I don't have the links to hand, but I could post them later. * as of now, I haven't tried setting up a program which you can use interactively. I have only used it to output text which then forms part of the document. Interactivity is on my list of things to investigate. I suspect Jupyter would be a better choice for that. Best wishes Richard Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> Date: 30/03/2019  03:18  (GMT+00:00) To: emacs-orgmode Mailinglist <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org> Subject: [O] Python with org-mode I've seen many "start using Python" parades, but what is the best way to use Python with org-mode, i.e., in babel source blocks? I'm on U18.10, which comes with standard 2 (2.7.15+) and 3 (3.6.7). But then I keep hearing about Anaconda. Your opinions, experiences, please.LB

* Re: Python with org-mode
@ 2019-03-30 15:16 ` Martin Alsinet
From: Martin Alsinet @ 2019-03-30 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lawrence,

It depends on what you want to do. Anaconda is a python distribution
intended for data science and machine learning, so if you want to work on
machine learning, it provides an easy way to install all the required
packages for that. You can use any python distribution with org-mode, you
just have to tell org-babel the path to the python interpreter you want to
use.

I would suggest that you pick a project, an application you want to make,
and start from there. I am currently making an application using python and
org-mode, which consists of a single org document and has ~170 python
source blocks. It is a simple podcast database, I am just doing it to try
the literary programming style in python. You can check it out here
<https://github.com/martinalsinet/podcast-db>, the only problem is that the
document is in spanish, my native language.

In this application I have leveraged python's import feature, so that I
write small functions (each in their corresponding source code block) which
I tangle into files and import from other blocks. This allows the document
to have a logical structure as a document, with sections for each module,
and also being able to call any block from any other.

If you have any doubts or need help starting out, don't hesitate to contact
me, I would be happy to help you.

Martín

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 10:38 PM Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've seen many "start using Python" parades, but what is the best way to
> use Python with org-mode, i.e., in babel source blocks? I'm on U18.10,
> which comes with standard 2 (2.7.15+) and 3 (3.6.7). But then I keep
> hearing about Anaconda. Your opinions, experiences, please.
>
> LB

* Re: Python with org-mode
@ 2019-03-30 18:10   ` Martin Schöön
From: Martin Schöön @ 2019-03-30 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)