* (Feature to Potentially Upstream) extending org-plot.el: some work done, more to go
@ 2020-05-19  2:02 Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2020-05-19  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Good news! This is the last of my "things I want to contact the mailing list about" backlog 😛

So, I recently wanted to be able to create a radar chart in org, using #+PLOT without a 500 character #+PLOT line.
I started with advice-override, but quickly realised it would be better just to switch out org-plot.el with a modified version, which can be found here: https://github.com/tecosaur/emacs-config/blob/master/lisp/org-plot.el

As this currently stands, with the below table and plot line I can produce this plot https://media.githubusercontent.com/media/tecosaur/emacs-config/master/misc/document-format-comparison.png. (https://media.githubusercontent.com/media/tecosaur/emacs-config/master/misc/document-format-comparison.png)

#+PLOT: transpose:yes type:radar min:0 max:4 file:"misc/document-format-comparison.png"
| Format | Fine-grained-control | Initial Effort | Syntax simplicity | Editor Support | Integrations | Ease-of-referencing | Versatility |
|-------------------+----------------------+----------------+-------------------+----------------+--------------+---------------------+-------------|
| Word | 2 | 4 | 4 | 2 | 3 | 2 | 2 |
| LaTeX | 4 | 1 | 1 | 3 | 2 | 4 | 3 |
| Org Mode | 4 | 2 | 3.5 | 1 | 4 | 4 | 4 |
| Markdown | 1 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 1 |
| Markdown + Pandoc | 2.5 | 2.5 | 2.5 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 |
The colours are a doom-specific bit, because I draw them from the current doom theme. I figure this could just be replaced with a general purpose entry point into the plot generation script where the user can add a 'custom preamble' function.

I'm also interested in refactoring the type:XXX bit so that it's more general, less hardcoded. I don't know what may be involved, but I'm thinking something similar to org export when you can define a new export function could be nice (hough I imagine that example is far more complicated than this would be).
I'm hoping that someone may be interested enough to provide feedback, and idealy help me extend org-plot in this manner, with the goal of having this functionality upstreamed (assuming interest in doing so).
Please let me know!

All the best,
Timothy
(p.s. as mentioned in my first email, I am going to try getting dragged down this rabbit-hole again till late june)

* Re: (Feature to Potentially Upstream) extending org-plot.el: some work done, more to go
@ 2020-05-19 11:57 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-05-19 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 10:02, Timothy wrote:
> As this currently stands, with the below table and plot line I can
> produce this plot https://media.githubusercontent.com/media/tecosaur/
> emacs-config/master/misc/document-format-comparison.png.

This looks very nice and I would use it if it were incorporated into
org.  You may wish to sign the FSF copyright assignment and submit a
patch?

I normally use tikz for generating radar plots but for some use cases,
using org-plot would be ideal.

Thank you.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.6-640-g9bc0cc

* Re: (Feature to Potentially Upstream) extending org-plot.el: some work done, more to go
@ 2020-05-19 12:25 ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2020-05-19 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I don't have any specific comments, but it looks great in general, and
I'd use it!