* Displaying a standalone timer window based on clock-in/out
@ 2008-04-01 18:14 Jose Robins
From: Jose Robins @ 2008-04-01 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Before I was aware of org-mode, I developed this small superkaramba
timer application which would display which task I was working on, when
I started it, how much time was left, and also the current time. I've
attached a snapshot of that app to this email.

Now I'm using org-mode extensively which has reignited my love for
emacs. I know org-mode displays the current task and the elapsed time on
the emacs modeline which is good. I was wondering if it would be
possible to generate a separate automatic emacs frame (which is compact
and for all intents and purposes looks like a simple xwindow) with the
task name, the elapsed time etc. from org-mode as soon as you clock in .
This would allow for this timer window to be on all desktops for e.g
without being intrusive.

Right now, I basically manually enter this info into my custom timer
when I clock in and out of a task in org-mode.

Not sure whether others using org-mode feel a similar need or whether
they use any other methods...

Thanks,
Jose

[-- Attachment #2: tmp5.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 6468 bytes --]

* Re: Displaying a standalone timer window based on clock-in/out
@ 2008-04-07 15:57 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-07 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wulfhomme13-rook; +Cc: org-mode

On Apr 1, 2008, at 8:14 PM, Jose Robins wrote:

> Before I was aware of org-mode, I developed this small superkaramba
> timer application which would display which task I was working on,
> when I started it, how much time was left, and also the current
> time. I've attached a snapshot of that app to this email.
>
> Now I'm using org-mode extensively which has reignited my love for
> emacs. I know org-mode displays the current task and the elapsed
> time on the emacs modeline which is good. I was wondering if it
> would be possible to generate a separate automatic emacs frame
> (which is compact and for all intents and purposes looks like a
> simple xwindow) with the task name, the elapsed time etc. from org-
> mode as soon as you clock in .. This would allow for this timer
> window to be on all desktops for e.g without being intrusive.
>
> Right now, I basically manually enter this info into my custom timer
> when I clock in and out of a task in org-mode.
>
> Not sure whether others using org-mode feel a similar need or
> whether they use any other methods...

Hmmm, I don't really see the need/use for this, so I am not going to
implement it.  Maybe I can provide you with a hook and you write a
package
to use this hook?

- Carsten

* Re: Displaying a standalone timer window based on clock-in/out
@ 2008-04-07 16:49   ` Jose Robins
From: Jose Robins @ 2008-04-07 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2008, at 8:14 PM, Jose Robins wrote:
>
>> Before I was aware of org-mode, I developed this small superkaramba
>> timer application which would display which task I was working on,
>> when I started it, how much time was left, and also the current time.
>> I've attached a snapshot of that app to this email.
>>
>> Now I'm using org-mode extensively which has reignited my love for
>> emacs. I know org-mode displays the current task and the elapsed time
>> on the emacs modeline which is good. I was wondering if it would be
>> possible to generate a separate automatic emacs frame (which is
>> compact and for all intents and purposes looks like a simple xwindow)
>> with the task name, the elapsed time etc. from org-mode as soon as
>> you clock in .. This would allow for this timer window to be on all
>> desktops for e.g without being intrusive.
>>
>> Right now, I basically manually enter this info into my custom timer
>> when I clock in and out of a task in org-mode.
>>
>> Not sure whether others using org-mode feel a similar need or whether
>> they use any other methods...
>
> Hmmm, I don't really see the need/use for this, so I am not going to
> implement it.  Maybe I can provide you with a hook and you write a
> package
> to use this hook?
>
> - Carsten

That would be good! I'll see if I can do something around that. Now that
you've said that "you don't really see the need" for this, I suppose,
everyone else would agree with you!! :-) After all, you managed to make
an april fool's joke and everyone jumped on your bandwagon not realizing
it was a joke! Such is your moral power, my friend!! :-)

Jose

* Re: Displaying a standalone timer window based on clock-in/out
@ 2008-04-08  7:49     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-08  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wulfhomme13-rook; +Cc: org-mode

On Apr 7, 2008, at 6:49 PM, Jose Robins wrote:

> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>

>> On Apr 1, 2008, at 8:14 PM, Jose Robins wrote:
>>
>>> Before I was aware of org-mode, I developed this small
>>> superkaramba timer application which would display which task I
>>> was working on, when I started it, how much time was left, and
>>> also the current time. I've attached a snapshot of that app to
>>> this email.
>>>
>>> Now I'm using org-mode extensively which has reignited my love for
>>> emacs. I know org-mode displays the current task and the elapsed
>>> time on the emacs modeline which is good. I was wondering if it
>>> would be possible to generate a separate automatic emacs frame
>>> (which is compact and for all intents and purposes looks like a
>>> simple xwindow) with the task name, the elapsed time etc. from org-
>>> mode as soon as you clock in ... This would allow for this timer
>>> window to be on all desktops for e.g without being intrusive.
>>>
>>> Right now, I basically manually enter this info into my custom
>>> timer when I clock in and out of a task in org-mode.
>>>
>>> Not sure whether others using org-mode feel a similar need or
>>> whether they use any other methods...
>>
>> Hmmm, I don't really see the need/use for this, so I am not going to
>> implement it.  Maybe I can provide you with a hook and you write a
>> package
>> to use this hook?
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

> That would be good! I'll see if I can do something around that. Now
> that you've said that "you don't really see the need" for this, I
> suppose, everyone else would agree with you!! :-) After all, you
> managed to make an april fool's joke and everyone jumped on your
> bandwagon not realizing it was a joke! Such is your moral power, my
> friend!! :-)

:-)  Ahh, that was great fun.  I guess from now on that power will be
significantly reduced.

:-)

Carsten