* Using org-agenda opens all my .org files.
@ 2010-04-14 20:37 Rich Wellum
From: Rich Wellum @ 2010-04-14 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi,

Another impressed newbie here.

When I run org-agenda to look at all my TODO's - every single .org file is
opened into buffers. Is this simply the way it works or is my setup
incorrect? It's a pain to have to kill all those buffers each time.

Setup is:

;; Org-mode settings
(require 'org-install)
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
(global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
(setq org-log-done t)
(setq org-return-follows-link t)
(setq org-agenda-files (file-expand-wildcards "~/org/*.org"))

;remember
(require 'remember)

;(org-remember-insinuate)
(setq org-directory "~/org/")
(setq org-default-notes-file (concat org-directory "/notes.org"))
(setq remember-annotation-functions '(org-remember-annotation))
(setq remember-handler-functions '(org-remember-handler))
(add-hook 'remember-mode-hook 'org-remember-apply-template)
(define-key global-map "\C-cr" 'org-remember)

Thanks,

||Rich Wellum

* Re: Using org-agenda opens all my .org files.
@ 2010-04-14 23:59 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-04-14 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Wellum; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Rich Wellum <richwellum@gmail.com> writes:

> When I run org-agenda to look at all my TODO's - every single .org file is
> opened into buffers. Is this simply the way it works or is my setup
> incorrect? It's a pain to have to kill all those buffers each time.

This is the way that org-mode works. If you'd like to release/kill your
org-mode buffers, simply type "x" in the agenda.

Might I ask why you want to kill the org buffers once they have been
opened? It is a relatively expensive operation to open and parse all the
org files the first time the agenda is generated. However, once the org
files (and all the properties added by org-mode) are loaded into memory,
agenda creation is much quicker.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Using org-agenda opens all my .org files.
@ 2010-04-15  2:00   ` Rich Wellum
From: Rich Wellum @ 2010-04-15  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> From: Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org>
> Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 19:59:57 -0400
> To: Rich Wellum <richwellum@gmail.com>
> Cc: "emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: Using org-agenda opens all my .org files.
>
> Rich Wellum <richwellum@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> When I run org-agenda to look at all my TODO's - every single .org file is
>> opened into buffers. Is this simply the way it works or is my setup
>> incorrect? It's a pain to have to kill all those buffers each time.
>
> This is the way that org-mode works. If you'd like to release/kill your
> org-mode buffers, simply type "x" in the agenda.

Ah that works - thanks.

> Might I ask why you want to kill the org buffers once they have been
> opened? It is a relatively expensive operation to open and parse all the
> org files the first time the agenda is generated. However, once the org
> files (and all the properties added by org-mode) are loaded into memory,
> agenda creation is much quicker.
For a one time operation - like looking at my todo list, where I might not
use agenda for a while, it just seems odd to have 40+ buffers opened. No
biggie and now that I know it's default behavior and not something I was
doing wrong I'll adjust to it.

Cheers,