* Simplify link handling?
@ 2010-04-29 14:39 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-04-29 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

99 times out of a hundred my link usage when creating a new remember
item is simply "last link" (using C-c C-l org-insert-link as opposed to
using a link specifier in the template) - could there be a way to
configure, or is there already a way for org-insert-link to
automatically insert the last one stored? If there is only one link in
the stored links array then i feel that should probably default too - as
it is you need to arrow to it - possibly the simplest would be to be
allowed to set something like "org-keep-one-link-only" and if this is
set org-insert-link automatically inserts the one single link
maintained.

I daresay its already there and I missed it ;)

* Re: Simplify link handling?
@ 2010-04-29 14:54 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-04-29 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> wrote:

> 99 times out of a hundred my link usage when creating a new remember
> item is simply "last link" (using C-c C-l org-insert-link as opposed to
> using a link specifier in the template) - could there be a way to
> configure, or is there already a way for org-insert-link to
> automatically insert the last one stored? If there is only one link in
> the stored links array then i feel that should probably default too - as
> it is you need to arrow to it - possibly the simplest would be to be
> allowed to set something like "org-keep-one-link-only" and if this is
> set org-insert-link automatically inserts the one single link
> maintained.
>
> I daresay its already there and I missed it ;)

Doesn't ``C-c C-l <RET>'' insert the last link? My usage is very
much the same as yours, but I never had to arrow to it.

Nick

* Re: Simplify link handling?
@ 2010-04-29 15:49   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-04-29 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Richard Riley, emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> 99 times out of a hundred my link usage when creating a new remember
>> item is simply "last link" (using C-c C-l org-insert-link as opposed to
>> using a link specifier in the template) - could there be a way to
>> configure, or is there already a way for org-insert-link to
>> automatically insert the last one stored? If there is only one link in
>> the stored links array then i feel that should probably default too - as
>> it is you need to arrow to it - possibly the simplest would be to be
>> allowed to set something like "org-keep-one-link-only" and if this is
>> set org-insert-link automatically inserts the one single link
>> maintained.
>>
>> I daresay its already there and I missed it ;)
>>

> Doesn't ``C-c C-l <RET>'' insert the last link? My usage is very
> much the same as yours, but I never had to arrow to it.
>
> Nick

Yes it does but I would prefer it to just insert immediately without the
buffer coming up and the need to hit return. Not earth shatteringly
important of course, but just another of those little tweaks which makes
usage that much more slick.

* Re: Simplify link handling?
@ 2010-04-29 17:08     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-29 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: Richard Riley, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

On Apr 29, 2010, at 5:49 PM, Richard Riley wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
>> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> 99 times out of a hundred my link usage when creating a new remember
>>> item is simply "last link" (using C-c C-l org-insert-link as
>>> opposed to
>>> using a link specifier in the template) - could there be a way to
>>> configure, or is there already a way for org-insert-link to
>>> automatically insert the last one stored? If there is only one
>>> link in
>>> the stored links array then i feel that should probably default
>>> too - as
>>> it is you need to arrow to it - possibly the simplest would be to be
>>> allowed to set something like "org-keep-one-link-only" and if this
>>> is
>>> set org-insert-link automatically inserts the one single link
>>> maintained.
>>>
>>> I daresay its already there and I missed it ;)
>>>

>> Doesn't ``C-c C-l <RET>'' insert the last link? My usage is very
>> much the same as yours, but I never had to arrow to it.
>>
>> Nick
>>

> Yes it does but I would prefer it to just insert immediately without
> the
> buffer coming up and the need to hit return. Not earth shatteringly
> important of course, but just another of those little tweaks which
> makes
> usage that much more slick.

Do you not even want it to prompt you for the description (or
confirmation of it?)

- Carsten

* Re: Simplify link handling?
@ 2010-04-29 17:11     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-29 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: Richard Riley, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

@ 2010-04-30 21:41       ` Uday S Reddy
From: Uday S Reddy @ 2010-04-30 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Do you not even want it to prompt you for the description (or
> confirmation of it?)

As Emacs users, we are generally used to the C-k, C-y, M-y cycle.  No prompting needed.  (I also have C-x C-k bound to copy-region-as-kill and use it the same way as C-k.)

But I would expect that different users might have different preference here.  So, something to accommodate the different preferences would be nice.

Cheers,
Uday