* Re: Re: feature request
@ 2009-03-23 14:08     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-03-23 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@comcast.net> writes:
> Later today, if I get the chance, I'll explore the solution proposed by
> Sebastian Rose.

Note: there is a bug in the docs for org-protocol.el. I have fixed that,
but it takes ages to see the changes on gtihub sometimes...

The correct command line for testing is:

  emacsclient org-protocol://store-link://http:%2F%2Flocalhost%2Findex.html/The%20title

Regards,

  Sebastian

* Re: Re: feature request
@ 2009-03-24 18:23     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-03-24 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@comcast.net> writes:
> Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> You night want to use this:
>>
>>   http://github.com/SebastianRose/worglet/tree/master
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong but this seems to be the wrong solution
> for w3 and w3m.  I don't use a graphical browser because of my need for
> a screen reader.  I use emacs and emacspeak almost exclusively for my
> computing needs. Sorry I wasn't clear in my needs and use.

Yes, org-protocol is meant for using emacs from the outside.

* Re: Re: feature request
@ 2009-03-25 13:50     ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2009-03-25 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@comcast.net> writes:

> I use emacs and emacspeak almost exclusively for my computing
> needs. Sorry I wasn't clear in my needs and use.

I am curious as to why you are using w3, since, from what I have read,
emacspeak supports w3m as well:

  http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/info/html/emacs_002dw3m.html

w3 is so slow and feature incomplete.

Charles

--
"Are [Linux users] lemmings collectively jumping off of the cliff of
reliable, well-engineered commercial software?"

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 196 bytes --]

* Feature request
@ 2010-10-10 13:50 David Abrahams
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: David Abrahams @ 2010-10-10 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi All,

I have to reschedule quite a few items daily.  Often they're
yesterday's items that I need to reschedule for today.

  `C-c C-s . RET'

is a bit much typing for that, so I re-bound `S' to
org-agenda-schedule.  But

  `S . RET'

is still a bit much.  I'd like it if the default when rescheduling was
always for today, instead of the date the item is already scheduled
for, so I could

  `S RET'

in the usual case.  What about a customizable option to set the
default schedule-for date?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: Feature request
@ 2010-10-10 15:43 ` Bernt Hansen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-10-10 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Abrahams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

David Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I have to reschedule quite a few items daily.  Often they're
> yesterday's items that I need to reschedule for today.
>
>   `C-c C-s . RET'
>
> is a bit much typing for that, so I re-bound `S' to
> org-agenda-schedule.  But
>
>   `S . RET'
>
> is still a bit much.  I'd like it if the default when rescheduling was
> always for today, instead of the date the item is already scheduled
> for, so I could
>
>   `S RET'
>
> in the usual case.  What about a customizable option to set the
> default schedule-for date?

Hi David,

Why are you rescheduling items everyday?  That seems like a lot of
overhead to me.  What's wrong with leaving the item on the first
scheduled date and just allow the agenda to show how many days it has
already been scheduled for -- until you mark it DONE?

Alternatively if it's a repeating task, you can use a single day
repeater and just mark the item DONE to move it to the next day.

One thing I've been trying to do is minimize the amount of time I spend
on overhead stuff for my tasks and trading that for time I actually do
work on completing the tasks instead.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Feature request
@ 2010-10-10 16:30 ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2010-10-10 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

David Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> I have to reschedule quite a few items daily.  Often they're
> yesterday's items that I need to reschedule for today.
>
>   `C-c C-s . RET'
>
> is a bit much typing for that, so I re-bound `S' to
> org-agenda-schedule.  But
>
>   `S . RET'
>
> is still a bit much.  I'd like it if the default when rescheduling was
> always for today, instead of the date the item is already scheduled
> for, so I could
>
>   `S RET'
>
> in the usual case.  What about a customizable option to set the
> default schedule-for date?

Just curious: Why don't you use the bulk action?

a) Mark all items with `m'
b) `B' `s' `.' RET.

For 20 items, thats:
20x `m' + 4 Keys for b) = 24 keypresses
(if those items are right next to each other and need no navigation)

Your approach would need 20 item x `S Ret' = 40 keypresses :).

Memnon

* Re: Feature request
@ 2010-10-10 18:03   ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2010-10-10 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:43:07 -0400,
Bernt Hansen wrote:

> David Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have to reschedule quite a few items daily.  Often they're
> > yesterday's items that I need to reschedule for today.
> >
> >   `C-c C-s . RET'
> >
> > is a bit much typing for that, so I re-bound `S' to
> > org-agenda-schedule.  But
> >
> >   `S . RET'
> >
> > is still a bit much.  I'd like it if the default when rescheduling was
> > always for today, instead of the date the item is already scheduled
> > for, so I could
> >
> >   `S RET'
> >
> > in the usual case.  What about a customizable option to set the
> > default schedule-for date?
>
> Hi David,
>
> Why are you rescheduling items everyday?

Because there's always something I didn't get done yesterday, and I
often have pushed too many tasks forward onto a given day, and don't
want to see more than about 15 TODOs in my agenda on any given day.

> That seems like a lot of overhead to me.  What's wrong with leaving
> the item on the first scheduled date and just allow the agenda to
> show how many days it has already been scheduled for -- until you
> mark it DONE?

Because then they show up in the consciousness like a failure instead
of as just what I have to do today, and they tend to pile up and lead
to a state of despair, where the agenda is too daunting to face.  They
need to be processed.  I need to re-negotiate the contract I made with
myself about when they were getting done.

> Alternatively if it's a repeating task, you can use a single day
> repeater and just mark the item DONE to move it to the next day.

It's not.

> One thing I've been trying to do is minimize the amount of time I
> spend on overhead stuff for my tasks and trading that for time I
> actually do work on completing the tasks instead.

Thanks, but I need to do this to keep on track.

Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com

* Re: Feature request
@ 2010-10-10 18:12 ` Juan Pechiar
From: Juan Pechiar @ 2010-10-10 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Abrahams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 09:50:47AM -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
> I have to reschedule quite a few items daily.  Often they're
> yesterday's items that I need to reschedule for today.
>   `C-c C-s . RET'
> is a bit much typing for that

I use S-right on the agenda buffer, which is quite easy.

Regards,
.j.

P.S. My reason to do this every day: day planning and regaining
consciouness about things to be done. Takes 1 minute at most.

* Re: Feature request
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-10-11  7:21 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-11  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Abrahams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 10, 2010, at 3:50 PM, David Abrahams wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have to reschedule quite a few items daily.  Often they're
> yesterday's items that I need to reschedule for today.
>
>  `C-c C-s . RET'
>
> is a bit much typing for that, so I re-bound `S' to
> org-agenda-schedule.  But
>
>  `S . RET'
>
> is still a bit much.  I'd like it if the default when rescheduling was
> always for today, instead of the date the item is already scheduled
> for, so I could
>
>  `S RET'
>
> in the usual case.  What about a customizable option to set the
> default schedule-for date?

After giving this some thought, I don't this this can be done in a
clear and non-confusing way.  I do think it is necessary to somehow
change the date relative to what the previously set date is.  The only
way to make this half way transparently is to show that date in the
prompt as the default date.

There was lots of good advice to so what you want in different ways,
including not rescheduling, or using bulk actions in the agenda.

Finally, if you still want a fast command doing this:

(defun org-agenda-reschedule-to-today ()
   (interactive)
   (flet ((org-read-date (&rest rest) (current-time)))
     (call-interactively 'org-agenda-schedule)))

- Carsten

* Re: Feature request
@ 2010-10-11 14:18   ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2010-10-11 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:21:05 +0200,
Carsten Dominik wrote:

> After giving this some thought, I don't this this can be done in a
> clear and non-confusing way.

Thanks for spending so much time/energy considering it, despite the
fact that it would be incoherent with the rest of your interface!

> I do think it is necessary to somehow change the date relative to
> what the previously set date is.  The only way to make this half way
> transparently is to show that date in the prompt as the default
> date.

Okay.

> There was lots of good advice to so what you want in different ways,
> including not rescheduling, or using bulk actions in the agenda.

You know, I have `f' and `b' bound to org-agenda-date-later/-earlier,
and that would be perfectly adequate for me, *if* I got appropriate
visual feedback.  The problem is the red "S2" or "S3" I'm looking at
doesn't change on the fly when I reschedule.  And it's hard to train
myself not to hit `f' twice when I see S2 :-)

> Finally, if you still want a fast command doing this:
>
> (defun org-agenda-reschedule-to-today ()
>    (interactive)
>    (flet ((org-read-date (&rest rest) (current-time)))
>      (call-interactively 'org-agenda-schedule)))

That's a good idea. I don't think I need etags in my agenda buffer, so
`M-.' works.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: Re: Feature request
@ 2010-10-11 17:42   ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-11 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This rocks! Had no idea about bulk actions. Thanks for the tip.

Jeff

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Memnon Anon
<gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> David Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>> I have to reschedule quite a few items daily.  Often they're
>> yesterday's items that I need to reschedule for today.
>>
>>   `C-c C-s . RET'
>>
>> is a bit much typing for that, so I re-bound `S' to
>> org-agenda-schedule.  But
>>
>>   `S . RET'
>>
>> is still a bit much.  I'd like it if the default when rescheduling was
>> always for today, instead of the date the item is already scheduled
>> for, so I could
>>
>>   `S RET'
>>
>> in the usual case.  What about a customizable option to set the
>> default schedule-for date?
>
> Just curious: Why don't you use the bulk action?
>
> a) Mark all items with `m'
> b) `B' `s' `.' RET.
>
> For 20 items, thats:
> 20x `m' + 4 Keys for b) = 24 keypresses
> (if those items are right next to each other and need no navigation)
>
> Your approach would need 20 item x `S Ret' = 40 keypresses :).
>
> Memnon

Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
George Mason University

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

* Re: Feature request
@ 2011-01-15 12:13   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-01-15 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: David Abrahams, emacs-orgmode

> Finally, if you still want a fast command doing this:
>
> (defun org-agenda-reschedule-to-today ()
>   (interactive)
>   (flet ((org-read-date (&rest rest) (current-time)))
>     (call-interactively 'org-agenda-schedule)))

Useful, thanks!

I added it to org-hacks.org under this section :

  "Reschedule agenda items to today with a single command"

--
 Bastien