* org-mode is slow :(
@ 2011-02-17 12:29 Piter_
From: Piter_ @ 2011-02-17 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all.
I use org-mode to organize and process my experimental data. By now my
org file has 5000 lines with a lot of python and matlab code. I
started to fill that org-mode becomes slower. I have to wait for
characters to appear while typing and so on.  Can anybody reccomend a
way to speed it up?
Thanks.
Petro
P.S. I have installed the org mode from GIT: "make && make doc && make install"
I guess it is bytecompiled already.

* Re: org-mode is slow :(
@ 2011-02-17 13:00 ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2011-02-17 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Piter,

First guess: functionality outside org-mode is slowing things down.
First candidate: line numbers turned on?  If yes, try disabling.

Then there were discussions about speed here before, e.g.
http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg27951.html
Maybe you find sth there.

HTH,
Andreas

Am 17.02.2011 13:29, schrieb Piter_:
> Hi all.
> I use org-mode to organize and process my experimental data. By now my
> org file has 5000 lines with a lot of python and matlab code. I
> started to fill that org-mode becomes slower. I have to wait for
> characters to appear while typing and so on.  Can anybody reccomend a
> way to speed it up?
> Thanks.
> Petro
> P.S. I have installed the org mode from GIT: "make && make doc && make install"
> I guess it is bytecompiled already.

[-- Attachment #1.2: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature --]

* Re: org-mode is slow :(
@ 2011-02-17 13:48   ` Piter_
From: Piter_ @ 2011-02-17 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks.
Disabling linum-mode helps a lot:)

@ 2011-02-17 17:29     ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-02-17 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Piter_; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Are you on a Mac?

@ 2011-02-17 18:46 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-02-17 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Piter_; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Petro,

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 4:29 AM, Piter_ <x.piter@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
> I use org-mode to organize and process my experimental data. By now my
> org file has 5000 lines with a lot of python and matlab code. I
> started to fill that org-mode becomes slower. I have to wait for

Is code block fontification turned on natively? Maybe turning it off
will help.

(setq org-src-fontify-natively nil)

> Thanks.
> Petro