From: brian powell <briangpowellms@gmail.com>
To: Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr>
Cc: Wang Coeus <wangcoeus@gmail.com>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Re: Can I input multiline in a cell?
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:09:07 -0500	[thread overview]

I haven't sent any HTMl that I know of--I fully embrace the "plain text"
KISS methods.

I've changed my fonts (all fonts--fixed and otherwise) to a font using the
string " Mono " somewhere in its name, and things seem better reading and
copying-and-pasting into an email buffer like this one--it should take care
of all problems with reading and writing @aligned tables@.

Thanks for pointing that out Bastien (about the fonts)--the "FreeMono" and
"Courier" fonts in GOOGLE CHROME are ugly--I tried them all after your
email--I settled on "DejaVu Sans Mono Book"; but, again, I have never posted
HTML to this list that I remember--I used to work with IETF members on XML
protocols and I'm very familiar with GML, SGML, HTML, XML, etc--I know HTML
when I see it.  The only "markup" that I inserted was "[[file:" --but thats
not HTML--its OrgMode?

If I paste text and set its font to XYZ @and@ you allow your browser to view
the XYZ font and character set @and@ you have the XYZ font software
installed and/or your email software has it, then you'll see it the way the
writer intended you to see it.  If you ever see anything from me with
"uncovered down"/aligned table columns again, please tell me, sorry about
that, it shouldn't happen again.  I strongly believe that problem has been
solved.

(I'll look into "turning off" HTML sending in my GOOGLE CHROME browser
options--like you suggested Bastien)

As for OrgMode and my idea, my plan: I will be setting "^H" as an
end-of-line "$" marker in my own code--when I am in a buffer running
OrgMode--and I'll see if I can make "multivariate stat." tables like the
example table Wang gave--EMACS has the only regexp engine that is easily
tweaked that way--that I know of (see "Regular Expressions", O'Reilly, 1st
edition)

Now, should OrgMode "table mode" support the creation of tables like the one
Wang gave as an example? I think it should.

--But I'm so giddy about OrgMode as it is right now, I almost don't care!

;-)