* update-org script
@ 2007-12-12 16:14 Harald Weis
From: Harald Weis @ 2007-12-12 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The "shell script to simplify upgrading to the newest release"
as found on the home page under the Downloads section,
does no longer work as far as I understand.

Most important first: the script should read:

# get the tar file
# [must be a generic name, not a versioned one like org-5.16b.tar.gz]
#wget http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org.tar.gz
wget http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz

Obviously, the name of the tar ball must get changed.

Then:

# directory where the org directory is located
dir=emacs/lisp
DIR=$HOME/$dir

# make sure we have the lisp dir
# note that 'mkdir -p $DIR' would not work
# mkdir(1): "The user must have write permission in the parent directory."
mkdir -p $dir

Finally, I suggest a simpler ORGVER line, the argument to ``-f''
is apparently system dependent, in my case it must read ``-f9'':

# what is the new directory name?
# (yes I could use awk, but I can write this line faster than I could
# check out the man page)
#ORGVER=`tar tvf $TMPTAR | head -1 | sed 's/  */ /g' | cut -d' ' -f6`
ORGVER=`tar tf $TMPTAR | head -1`

It would be nice if the author of the script and
Dominik Carsten could comment.

Thanks in advance.
HW
--
FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p2 #0: Tue Feb 27 22:56:09 UTC 2007
--

* Re: update-org script
@ 2007-12-12 19:17 ` Pete Phillips
From: Pete Phillips @ 2007-12-12 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Harald.

 Harald> The "shell script to simplify upgrading to the newest release"
 Harald> as found on the home page under the Downloads section,
 Harald> does no longer work as far as I understand.
 Harald>

Oops. I really should put something in my system to make sure I check
that I have uploaded the newest versions!

 Harald> Most important first: the script should read:
 Harald>
 Harald> # get the tar file
 Harald> # [must be a generic name, not a versioned one like org-5.16b.tar.gz]
 Harald> #wget http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org.tar.gz
 Harald> wget http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz
 Harald> Obviously, the name of the tar ball must get changed.

Yeah. I have fixed my copy of this already!  :-)

 Harald> # directory where the org directory is located
 Harald> dir=emacs/lisp
 Harald> DIR=$HOME/$dir
 Harald>
 Harald> # make sure we have the lisp dir
 Harald> # note that 'mkdir -p $DIR' would not work
 Harald> # mkdir(1): "The user must have write permission in the parent directory."
 Harald> mkdir -p $dir

I can only assume that you are editing the script to put org-mode in a
system directory ?  In that case you will either need to run it as root,
or at least make sure you own the lowest level directory in the ORGDIR
variable.  The line from the manual just means that if you are trying to
create

       /usr/share/emacs/lisp/org

and only /usr/share exists at at that time (usually owned by root) then
the command will fail as you can't write into the direcory.

You could solve this by doing something like this (as root):

    mkdir /usr/src/emacs
    chown YOURNAMEHERE /usr/src/emacs

Then set
     DIR=/usr/src/emacs/lisp
and you should be set.

Personally I like to keep my lisp files in my home directory.

 Harald> Finally, I suggest a simpler ORGVER line, the argument to ``-f''
 Harald> is apparently system dependent, in my case it must read ``-f9'':
 Harald>
 Harald> # what is the new directory name?
 Harald> # (yes I could use awk, but I can write this line faster than I could
 Harald> # check out the man page)
 Harald> #ORGVER=`tar tvf $TMPTAR | head -1 | sed 's/  */ /g' | cut -d' ' -f6`
 Harald> ORGVER=`tar tf $TMPTAR | head -1`

Doh!  I wish I'd thought of that!  My only excuse is that my fingers
have certain UNIX commands pre-programmed into them - anytime I use tar
I invariably add the 'v' flag (been doing that for 20 years), and made
the task more complex!

I have uploaded a new version here:

	http://www.philfam.co.uk/pete/GTD/org-mode/update-org.sh

Thanks for your comments.

Regards,
Pete

PS: Carsten - can you change the link on the org-mode page to point to
my philfam location ? Cheers. Pete

* Re: update-org script
@ 2007-12-13 13:42   ` User Harald
From: User Harald @ 2007-12-13 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Pete,

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 07:17:57PM +0000, Pete Phillips wrote:

>  Harald> # get the tar file
>  Harald> # [must be a generic name, not a versioned one like org-5.16b.tar.gz]
>  Harald> #wget http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org.tar.gz
>  Harald> wget http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz
>  Harald> Obviously, the name of the tar ball must get changed.
>
> Yeah. I have fixed my copy of this already!  :-)

I still do not see how the script could work without changing
the URL on the website from (presently) org-5.16b.tar.gz to
org.tar.gz. The actual version could be displayed in
parentheses, couldn't it ?

>  Harald> # directory where the org directory is located
>  Harald> dir=emacs/lisp
>  Harald> DIR=$HOME/$dir
>  Harald>
>  Harald> # make sure we have the lisp dir
>  Harald> # note that 'mkdir -p $DIR' would not work
>  Harald> # mkdir(1): "The user must have write permission in the parent directory."
>  Harald> mkdir -p $dir
>
> I can only assume that you are editing the script to put org-mode in a
> system directory ?

No, I made my trial in my home directory as you have suggested.
In spite of a check with ``echo $DIR'' I must have made an error
somewhere because no directory had been generated.
Today it has worked alright.

Best regards,
Harald
--

@ 2007-12-13 15:00     ` Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2007-12-13 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Perhaps the problem with getting the name of the org tarball (which
changes with each version) can be solved by replacing:

   wget http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org.tar.gz

with this:

   command=""
   result=`lftp -c open -e ls http://orgmode.org|grep tar.gz|grep -v freemind`
   orgname="http://orgmode.org"${result:16:20}
   wget $orgname

--
--------------
Dan Griswold

* Re: update-org script
@ 2007-12-13 15:37       ` Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2007-12-13 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dan Griswold <dgriswol@rochester.rr.com> writes:

Oops. I didn't finish my edits. This line:

    command=""

can be deleted.

Dan

--
--------------
Dan Griswold

* Re: Re: update-org script
@ 2007-12-13 17:24       ` Pete Phillips
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Pete Phillips @ 2007-12-13 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Griswold; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Guys

    Dan> Perhaps the problem with getting the name of the org tarball
    Dan> (which changes with each version) can be solved by replacing:

    Dan>    wget http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org.tar.gz

    Dan> with this:

    Dan>    command="" result=`lftp -c open -e ls
    Dan> http://orgmode.org|grep tar.gz|grep -v freemind`
    Dan> orgname="http://orgmode.org"${result:16:20} wget $orgname

I'm confused about your concerns here.

Carsten appears to link the latest version of the org tar file to

	http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz

therefore you don't need to do anything clever - you just run the
script and it pulls down the latest version.

Have I missed something ?

The script works as written when I try it - if you are having problems,
email me the output from your xterm and I will sort it.

Pete

* Re: Re: update-org script
@ 2007-12-13 19:20         ` Harald Weis
From: Harald Weis @ 2007-12-13 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 05:24:46PM +0000, Pete Phillips wrote:

> Guys

>     Dan> Perhaps the problem with getting the name of the org tarball
>     Dan> (which changes with each version) can be solved by replacing:
>
>     Dan>    wget http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org.tar.gz
>
>     Dan> with this:
>
>     Dan>    command="" result=`lftp -c open -e ls
>     Dan> http://orgmode.org|grep tar.gz|grep -v freemind`
>     Dan> orgname="http://orgmode.org"${result:16:20} wget $orgname
>

> I'm confused about your concerns here.
>
> Carsten appears to link the latest version of the org tar file to
>
> 	http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz

No, the URL is unfortunately: http://orgmode.org/org-5.16b.tar.gz

Bye
Harald
--

@ 2007-12-13 19:23         ` Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2007-12-13 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Pete Phillips <pete@smtl.co.uk> writes:

> Guys

> I'm confused about your concerns here.
>
> Carsten appears to link the latest version of the org tar file to
>
> 	http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz
>
> therefore you don't need to do anything clever - you just run the
> script and it pulls down the latest version.

Now that's funny! When I was working out my little bit of bash
cleverness, I was thinking, "gee, this would be so much easier if
Carsten had linked the newest version of the tarball to some static
name."

And of course he had.

I hadn't thought he had, because an ls in lftp does not show the
link. So I _assumed_ (hah! serves me right!) that Carsten had not made
the link.

But, I think my solution was pretty clever, in a completely
unnecessary way.

Dan

* Re: Re: update-org script
@ 2007-12-13 19:33           ` Harald Weis
From: Harald Weis @ 2007-12-13 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 02:23:11PM -0500, Dan Griswold wrote:
> Pete Phillips <pete@smtl.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Guys

> > I'm confused about your concerns here.
> >
> > Carsten appears to link the latest version of the org tar file to
> >
> > 	http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz
> >
> > therefore you don't need to do anything clever - you just run the
> > script and it pulls down the latest version.
>
> Now that's funny! When I was working out my little bit of bash
> cleverness, I was thinking, "gee, this would be so much easier if
> Carsten had linked the newest version of the tarball to some static
> name."
>
> And of course he had.

My Firefox does not see a static name, but only the versioned name!

Harald

* Re: Re: update-org script
@ 2007-12-13 22:32         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-12-13 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete Phillips; +Cc: Dan Griswold, emacs-orgmode

On Dec 13, 2007, at 6:24 PM, Pete Phillips wrote:

> Guys

>    Dan> Perhaps the problem with getting the name of the org tarball
>    Dan> (which changes with each version) can be solved by replacing:
>
>    Dan>    wget http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org.tar.gz
>
>    Dan> with this:
>
>    Dan>    command="" result=`lftp -c open -e ls
>    Dan> http://orgmode.org|grep tar.gz|grep -v freemind`
>    Dan> orgname="http://orgmode.org"${result:16:20} wget $orgname
>

> I'm confused about your concerns here.
>
> Carsten appears to link the latest version of the org tar file to
>
> 	http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz

That used to be a link, it is now a hard copy because I did not
know how to make a link via an ftp connection.  So ever since
Org-mode moved to orgmode.org, there are two identical copies of
the same file on the server: org-version.tar.gz and org.tar.gz

- Carsten

* Re: update-org script
@ 2007-12-13 22:40             ` Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2007-12-13 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Harald Weis <hawei@free.fr> writes:

> My Firefox does not see a static name, but only the versioned name!
>
> Harald

Now that is very odd. I have no problem downloading the file using the
static address, using either firefox or wget.

Does anyone here no why Harald's installation might be behaving in
this manner?

Harald, until we figure out this question, why don't you use the
changes I posted?

Dan

* Re: update-org script
@ 2007-12-14  1:23           ` Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2007-12-14  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Dec 13, 2007, at 6:24 PM, Pete Phillips wrote:
>> Carsten appears to link the latest version of the org tar file to
>>
>> 	http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz
>

> That used to be a link, it is now a hard copy because I did not
> know how to make a link via an ftp connection.  So ever since
> Org-mode moved to orgmode.org, there are two identical copies of
> the same file on the server: org-version.tar.gz and org.tar.gz

Well, as long as it works, and doesn't create problems for you, that
should be fine.

I do find it curious that I don't see that file when I ls the
directory. No biggie; just find it interesting.

More of a concern is why Harald can't get to it at all.

Dan

* Re: Re: update-org script
@ 2007-12-14  7:20             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-12-14  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Griswold; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 14, 2007, at 2:23 AM, Dan Griswold wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Dec 13, 2007, at 6:24 PM, Pete Phillips wrote:
>>> Carsten appears to link the latest version of the org tar file to
>>>
>>> 	http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz
>>

>> That used to be a link, it is now a hard copy because I did not
>> know how to make a link via an ftp connection.  So ever since
>> Org-mode moved to orgmode.org, there are two identical copies of
>> the same file on the server: org-version.tar.gz and org.tar.gz
>
> Well, as long as it works, and doesn't create problems for you, that
> should be fine.
>
> I do find it curious that I don't see that file when I ls the
> directory. No biggie; just find it interesting.

How can you ls the directory of a website?  I thought that
is not possible?

- Carsten

* Re: Re: update-org script
@ 2007-12-14  8:44               ` Pete Phillips
From: Pete Phillips @ 2007-12-14  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Dan Griswold, emacs-orgmode

    Dan>> I do find it curious that I don't see that file when I ls the
    Dan>> directory. No biggie; just find it interesting.

    Carsten> How can you ls the directory of a website?  I thought that
    Carsten> is not possible?

If you have an index.html file in there (or index.htm, depending on your
web server) then you are correct - you can't list a directory on a web
server. In general, that is good from a security perspective. this also
allows you to make files available which you can only get if you know
their URL - you can't browse around for them.

I suspect there is confusion here because Carsten mentioned using ftp to
upload the files, and with ftp you can usually list directories.
However, we are clearly talking about a web service.

Pete

* Re: Re: update-org script
@ 2007-12-14  8:53                 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-12-14  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete Phillips; +Cc: Dan Griswold, emacs-orgmode

On Dec 14, 2007, at 9:44 AM, Pete Phillips wrote:

>    Dan>> I do find it curious that I don't see that file when I ls the
>    Dan>> directory. No biggie; just find it interesting.
>
>    Carsten> How can you ls the directory of a website?  I thought that
>    Carsten> is not possible?
>
> If you have an index.html file in there (or index.htm, depending on
> your
> web server) then you are correct - you can't list a directory on a web
> server. In general, that is good from a security perspective. this
> also
> allows you to make files available which you can only get if you know
> their URL - you can't browse around for them.

Thanks for the clarification.

> I suspect there is confusion here because Carsten mentioned using
> ftp to
> upload the files, and with ftp you can usually list directories.
> However, we are clearly talking about a web service.

So my remaining question is:  Is there ftp access for users on
orgmode.org?  I do use ftp to upload, but I did not know about public
access.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: update-org script
@ 2007-12-14 11:50             ` Harald Weis
From: Harald Weis @ 2007-12-14 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 08:23:00PM -0500, Dan Griswold wrote:
> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Dec 13, 2007, at 6:24 PM, Pete Phillips wrote:
> >> Carsten appears to link the latest version of the org tar file to
> >>
> >> 	http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz
> >

> > That used to be a link, it is now a hard copy because I did not
> > know how to make a link via an ftp connection.  So ever since
> > Org-mode moved to orgmode.org, there are two identical copies of
> > the same file on the server: org-version.tar.gz and org.tar.gz
>
> Well, as long as it works, and doesn't create problems for you, that
> should be fine.
>
> I do find it curious that I don't see that file when I ls the
> directory. No biggie; just find it interesting.
>
> More of a concern is why Harald can't get to it at all.

Here is the full story:

In my great innocence I thought: what I cannot see does not exist.

I have downloaded org-5.16b.tar.gz with firefox a week ago.
When I saw the script, I have tried to understand it which
I didn't because firefox does not see org.tar.gz.

I never ran ``wget http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz'' until
some minutes ago. It does work fine.

I did not know lftp until Dan's message. So I only used it just now:

Indeed, ``lftp -c open -e ls http://orgmode.org/'' does not show org.tar.gz.
But again, ``lftp -c get http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz'' works like a
charm.

So for me, firefox _and_ lftp do not ``see'' org.tar.gz.

Normal or not normal ? That is the question.
My firefox version is 2.0.0.4.
Very strange that Dan's firefox does see it!

Many thanks to all of you for your help. I've learned a lot.

Harald
--

@ 2007-12-14 12:00               ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2007-12-14 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Dec 14, 2007 5:20 PM, Harald Weis <hawei@free.fr> wrote:

[snip]

> Normal or not normal ? That is the question. My firefox version is 2.0.0.4
.
> Very strange that Dan's firefox does see it!

I believe he directly placed the URI http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz in
address bar.  I don't think there's any visible/clickable link on the page
to org.zip/org.tar.gz.

--
Manish

* Re: Re: update-org script
@ 2007-12-14 12:17                 ` Harald Weis
From: Harald Weis @ 2007-12-14 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 05:30:26PM +0530, Manish wrote:
> > On Dec 14, 2007 5:20 PM, Harald Weis <hawei@free.fr> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Normal or not normal ? That is the question. My firefox version is 2.0.0.4
> .
> > Very strange that Dan's firefox does see it!
>
> I believe he directly placed the URI http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz in
> address bar.  I don't think there's any visible/clickable link on the page
> to org.zip/org.tar.gz.

Yes, that's it!

Harald

* Re: Re: update-org script
@ 2007-12-14 12:19               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-12-14 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Harald Weis <hawei@free.fr> writes:

> In my great innocence I thought: what I cannot see does not exist.
>
> I have downloaded org-5.16b.tar.gz with firefox a week ago.
> When I saw the script, I have tried to understand it which
> I didn't because firefox does not see org.tar.gz.
>
> I never ran ``wget http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz'' until
> some minutes ago. It does work fine.
>
> I did not know lftp until Dan's message. So I only used it just now:
>
> Indeed, ``lftp -c open -e ls http://orgmode.org/'' does not show org.tar.gz.
> But again, ``lftp -c get http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz'' works like a
> charm.
>
> So for me, firefox _and_ lftp do not ``see'' org.tar.gz.
>
> Normal or not normal ? That is the question.

Might guess would be that org.tar.gz is perhaps a symbolic link to the
org-5.xx.tar.gz file.  Then maybe wget can fetch it, but lftp can't list
it?  Or maybe org.tar.gz is not a symlink but has different permissions?

--
Bastien

* Re: update-org script
@ 2007-12-14 12:47                   ` Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2007-12-14 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> So my remaining question is:  Is there ftp access for users on
> orgmode.org?  I do use ftp to upload, but I did not know about public
> access.
>
> - Carsten

The lftp program will use http to access a site, if specified in the
URI. In other words, it is not using the ftp protocol, or connecting
through an ftp server. When used with http://orgmode.org as the URI,
lftp connects through the web server.

What I don't understand is what it is that determines which
files will appear in an ls command within lftp. Presumably it is
something configured on the host server.

I checked what would happen using ls to connect to a different web
site, one I maintain. I could ls, but it showed only a very few files
in the directory. More than index.php, but precious few more than
that. (Just some jpg and gif files.) There is probably something in
the apache docs that speaks to this, but I wouldn't know where.

Anyway, I think none of this is terribly important for the
configuration of the orgmode.org server. And Harald has figured out
his difficulty with the script. My use of lftp led to some faulty
assumptions on my part, which I have of course now abandoned.

Dan

* Re: Re: update-org script
@ 2007-12-14 13:14                     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-12-14 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Griswold; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Dan,

thank you very much for the clarification!!!

- Carsten

On Dec 14, 2007 1:47 PM, Dan Griswold <dgriswol@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > So my remaining question is:  Is there ftp access for users on
> > orgmode.org?  I do use ftp to upload, but I did not know about public
> > access.
> >
> > - Carsten
>
> The lftp program will use http to access a site, if specified in the
> URI. In other words, it is not using the ftp protocol, or connecting
> through an ftp server. When used with http://orgmode.org as the URI,
> lftp connects through the web server.
>
> What I don't understand is what it is that determines which
> files will appear in an ls command within lftp. Presumably it is
> something configured on the host server.
>
> I checked what would happen using ls to connect to a different web
> site, one I maintain. I could ls, but it showed only a very few files
> in the directory. More than index.php, but precious few more than
> that. (Just some jpg and gif files.) There is probably something in
> the apache docs that speaks to this, but I wouldn't know where.
>
> Anyway, I think none of this is terribly important for the
> configuration of the orgmode.org server. And Harald has figured out
> his difficulty with the script. My use of lftp led to some faulty
> assumptions on my part, which I have of course now abandoned.
>

> Dan

* Re: update-org script
@ 2007-12-14 13:39                     ` Peder O. Klingenberg
From: Peder O. Klingenberg @ 2007-12-14 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dan Griswold <dgriswol@rochester.rr.com> writes:

> What I don't understand is what it is that determines which
> files will appear in an ls command within lftp. Presumably it is
> something configured on the host server.

I would guess that it just parses the HTML it receives and tries to
locate links to files.

A very brief look at the source of lftp seems to confirm it.
HttpDir.cc contains a function called parse_html.

So, had Carsten included a link to org.tar.gz on the front page of
orgmode.org, I would guess lftp would have listed it.  It's not
magic.

...Peder...
--
I wish a new life awaited _me_ in some off-world colony.

* Re: Re: update-org script
@ 2007-12-14 15:38                       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-12-14 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peder O. Klingenberg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 14, 2007, at 2:39 PM, Peder O. Klingenberg wrote:

> Dan Griswold <dgriswol@rochester.rr.com> writes:
>
>> What I don't understand is what it is that determines which
>> files will appear in an ls command within lftp. Presumably it is
>> something configured on the host server.
>
> I would guess that it just parses the HTML it receives and tries to
> locate links to files.
>
> A very brief look at the source of lftp seems to confirm it.
> HttpDir.cc contains a function called parse_html.
>
> So, had Carsten included a link to org.tar.gz on the front page of
> orgmode.org, I would guess lftp would have listed it.  It's not
> magic.

Ahhhh.  Very clever, thanks.

- Carsten