* leading stars not hidden
@ 2008-05-12  5:12 David Rawlins
From: David Rawlins @ 2008-05-12  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm using gnome-terminal in debian etch with a white background.  The org-hide face foreground is set to "white," but it actually shows up as a light grey.  Has anyone else run into this problem and found a solution?  I can change to a black background and make it work, but I'd rather not.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Be a better friend, newshound, and

* Re: leading stars not hidden
@ 2008-05-12 14:39 ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-05-12 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Rawlins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

David Rawlins <dsrawlins@yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm using gnome-terminal in debian etch with a white background.  The
> org-hide face foreground is set to "white," but it actually shows up
> as a light grey.  Has anyone else run into this problem and found a
> solution?  I can change to a black background and make it work, but
> I'd rather not.

Just out of curiosity, if you're using Gnome, why not use the X display
of Emacs?  I myself use emacslient -t and co., so I'm genuinely curious
what you're using it for.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

Ineffective security measure:

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.

* Re: leading stars not hidden
@ 2008-05-12 14:59   ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2008-05-12 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:39:06AM -0400, Joel J. Adamson wrote:
> David Rawlins <dsrawlins@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > I'm using gnome-terminal in debian etch with a white background.  The
> > org-hide face foreground is set to "white," but it actually shows up
> > as a light grey.  Has anyone else run into this problem and found a
> > solution?  I can change to a black background and make it work, but
> > I'd rather not.
>
> Just out of curiosity, if you're using Gnome, why not use the X display
> of Emacs?  I myself use emacslient -t and co., so I'm genuinely curious
> what you're using it for.

I do the same thing (i.e. run emacs from gnome-terminal with emacs -nw), for (probably questionable) aesthetic reasons: I like my emacs sessions to have the same look as all my terminal sessions. I'm a recent convert/refugee to gnome from a fairly brutal minimalist window manager (ion3), and am quite taken with things like semi-transparent backgrounds. So I have a darkish desktop background pattern which is visible behind my emacs and terminal sessions. The leading stars are not very visible in a dark face, so that's OK. I assume there's no obvious way to set the org-hide face so that the leading stars are transparent? (or even, transparent to the same degree as the background of my gnome-terminal?)

Dan

@ 2008-05-12 15:28     ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-05-12 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:39:06AM -0400, Joel J. Adamson wrote:
>> David Rawlins <dsrawlins@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>> > I'm using gnome-terminal in debian etch with a white background.
>> > The org-hide face foreground is set to "white," but it actually
>> > shows up as a light grey. Has anyone else run into this problem
>> > and found a solution? I can change to a black background and make
>> > it work, but I'd rather not.
>>  Just out of curiosity, if you're using Gnome, why not use the X
>> display of Emacs? I myself use emacslient -t and co., so I'm
>> genuinely curious what you're using it for.
>
> I do the same thing (i.e. run emacs from gnome-terminal with emacs
> -nw), for (probably questionable) aesthetic reasons: I like my emacs
> sessions to have the same look as all my terminal sessions. I'm a
> recent convert/refugee to gnome from a fairly brutal minimalist window
> manager (ion3), and am quite taken with things like semi-transparent
> backgrounds. So I have a darkish desktop background pattern which is
> visible behind my emacs and terminal sessions. The leading stars are
> not very visible in a dark face, so that's OK. I assume there's no
> obvious way to set the org-hide face so that the leading stars are
> transparent? (or even, transparent to the same degree as the
> background of my gnome-terminal?)

Perhaps another Gnomer can correct me: you can enable transparency for
any client frame using compiz.  Have you tried it out?

Joel